Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Increasing prevalence of overweight among US low-income preschool children: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance, 1983-1995.Pediatrics. 1998; 101 (Accessed March 5, 2009): e12
- Racial and ethnic differentials in overweight and obesity among 3-year-old children.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 298-305
- Trends in the state-specific prevalence of overweight and underweight in 2- through 4-year-old children from low-income families from 1989 through 2000.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 1116-1124
- Trends in overweight from 1980-2001 among preschool-aged children enrolled in a health maintenance organization.Obesity. 2006; 14: 1107-1112
Prevalence of Overweight, Infants and Children Less than 2 Years of Age: United States, 2003-2004. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/overweight/overwght_child_under02.htm. Accessed March 5, 2009.
- Does overweight in infancy persist through the preschool years? an analysis of CDC Pediatric Nutrition Surveillance System data.Soz Praventivmed. 2003; 48: 161-167
- Fetal and early life growth and body mass index from birth to early adulthood in 1958 British cohort: longitudinal study.BMJ. 2001; 323: 1331-1335
- Relation between weight and length at birth and body mass index in young adulthood.BMJ. 1997; 315: 396-400
- Weight gain in the first week of life and overweight in adulthood.Circulation. 2005; 111: 1897-1903
- Rapid infant weight gain predicts childhood overweight.Obesity. 2006; 14: 491-499
- Association between postnatal catch-up growth and obesity in childhood: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2000; 320: 967-971
- Infant weight gain and childhood overweight status in a multicenter cohort study.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 194-199
- Rapid weight gain during infancy and obesity in young adulthood in a cohort of African Americans.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1374-1378
- Identifying children at high risk for overweight at school entry by weight gain during the first 2 years.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 449-452
- Energy expenditure and intake in infants born to lean and overweight mothers.New Engl J Med. 1988; 318: 461-466
- Early diet and obesity.in: Heird W. Nutritional Needs of the Six- to Twelve-month-old Infant. Vol. 2. Raven Press, New York1991: 303-316
- Energy intake, not energy output, is a determinant of body size in infants.Am J Clin Nutr. 1999; 69: 524-530
- Maternal prepregnant body mass index, duration of breastfeeding, and timing of complementary food introduction are associated with infant weight gain.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1579-1588
- Maternal obesity and breast-feeding practices.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 931-936
- Childhood predictors of adult obesity: a systematic review.Int J Obes. 1999; 23: S1-S107
- Effect of infant feeding on the risk of obesity across the life course: a quantitative review of published evidence.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 1367-1376
- A physiological role of breast milk leptin in body weight control in developing infants.Obesity. 2006; 14: 1371-1377
- Does a vigorous feeding style influence early development of adiposity?.J Pediatrics. 1987; 110: 799-804
- Nutrition, growth and complementary feeding of the breastfed infant.Pediatric Clin North Am. 2001; 48: 87-104
- Risk of overweight among adolescents who were breastfed as infants.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2461-2467
- The fat cell.Med Clin North Am. 1989; 73: 83-96
- Infant self-regulation of breast milk intake.Acta Ped Scand. 1986; 75: 893-898
- Breast-fed infants are leaner than formula-fed infants at 1 year of age: The DARLING Study.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 57: 140-145
- Nutritional Assessment: A Laboratory Manual. Oxford University Press, New York1993
- Maternal psychological determinants of infant obesity: development and testing of two new instruments.J Chron Dis. 1983; 36: 329-335
- Infant determinants of childhood weight and adiposity.J Pediatr. 1985; 107: 104-107
Banks JM. Maternal feeding attitudes and infant obesity. Proceedings of the Sigma Tau Theta Biennial Nursing Conference. Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau; 2002.
- Caregiver/Parent-Child Interaction Feeding Manual. University of Washington School of Nursing, NCAST Publications, Seattle, WA1994
- Mother-infant interaction and breastfeeding outcome 6 weeks after birth.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 1998; 27: 169-174
- Relation of maternal-infant feeding interaction with maternal stressors and distress in Bangladesh.FASEB J. 2004; 18 (A1721)
National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: 2000 CDC Growth Charts: United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/. Accessed April 17, 2009.
- Perceptions and preferences for infant body size by low-income mothers.J Reprod Infant Psychol. 2005; 23: 303-308
- Identifying risk for obesity in early childhood.Pediatrics. 2006; 118 (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/118/3/e594. Accessed March 5, 2009): e594-e601
- Low family income and food insufficiency in relation to overweight US children: is there a paradox?.Arch Pediatric Adolesc Med. 2001; 155: 1161-1167
- Risk factors for obesity in early human development.in: Davies H.D. Fitzgerald H.E. Obesity in Childhood and Adolescence. Vol. 2. Greenwood Publishing, Westport, CT2008: 3-23
- The WIC Infant Feeding Practices Study. US Department of Agriculture, Alexandria, VA1997
- Has the WIC incentive to formula-feed led to an increase in overweight children?.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 1086-1090
Continuing Education Questionnaire available at www.sne.org/ Meets Learning Need Codes for RDs and DTRs 4120, 4150, and 5070.
This research was supported by grants HD039697 and HD047338 to the first author.