Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The food insecurity–obesity paradox: a review of the literature and the role food stamps may play.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1952-1961
- Household food security in the.United States. 2006; (Available at:) (Accessed April 21, 2009)
- Obesity and the food environment—dietary energy density and diet costs.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 154-162
- Shelter environment and placement in community affects lifestyle factors among homeless families in Minnesota.Am J Health Promot. 2006; 21: 36-44
- Fruit and vegetable access in four low-income food deserts communities in Minnesota.Agric Human Values. 2006; 23: 371-383
- Nutritional status of persons using a local emergency food system program in middle America.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1031-1033
- Food insecurity is positively related to overweight in women.J Nutr. 2001; 131: 1738-1745
- Food insufficiency and prevalence of overweight among adult women.Fam Econ Nutr Rev. 2003; 15: 55-57
- Food stamp participation is positively related to obesity in low income women.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 2225-2231
- Long-term Food Stamp Program participation is positively related to simultaneous overweight in young daughters and obesity in mothers.J Nutr. 2006; 136: 1081-1085
- Coping strategies and nutrition education needs among food pantry users.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 326-333
- Attitudes, beliefs, and prevalence of dumpster diving as a means to obtain food by Midwestern, low-income, urban dwellers.Agric Human Values. 2005; 22: 187-202
- The impact of homeless shelters on food access and choice among homeless families in Minnesota.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 96-105
- Social Learning Theory. General Learning Press, Morristown, NJ1971
- How individuals, environments, and health behavior interact.in: Glanz K. Rimer B.K. Lewis F.M. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 3rd ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2002: 165-184
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 31: 143-164
- Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research. 3rd ed. SAGE Publications, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA2000
- Nutritional Assessment. 2nd ed. Mosby, St. Louis, MO1996
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About BMI for adults. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/about_adult_BMI.htm. Accessed April 21, 2009.
Minnesota Department of Human Services. MFIP: Expecting, supporting and rewarding work. Available at: http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcplg?IdcService=GET_DYNAMIC_CONVERSION&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=id_005325. Accessed August 6, 2008.
Food and Nutrition Service. Programs and services. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fns/services.htm. Accessed April 21, 2009.
- Development of a measure of the motives underlying the selection of food: The Food Choice Questionnaire.Appetite. 1995; 25: 267-284
- Why Americans eat what they do: taste, nutrition, cost, convenience, and weight control as influences on food consumption.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1118-1126
- Environmental and societal factors affect food choice and physical activity: rationale, influences, and leverage points.Nutr Rev. 2001; 59: S21-S39
- Maintaining food sufficiency: coping strategies identified by limited-resource individuals versus nutrition educators.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 179-188
Food and Nutrition Service. Fact sheet on resources, income, and benefits. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/fs_Res_Ben_Elig.htm. Accessed April 21, 2009.
- How the private food assistance network evolved: interactions between public and private responses to hunger.Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly. 2006; 35: 668-690
Minnesota Department of Human Services. Combined application form. Available at: http://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Legacy/DHS-5223-ENG. Accessed April 21, 2009.
- Do low-income lone mothers compromise their nutrition to feed their children?.CMAJ. 2003; 168: 686-691
- Environmental, parental, and personal influences on food choice, access, and overweight status among homeless children.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1572-1583
- Diet related knowledge, attitudes, and practices of low-income individuals with children in the household.Fam Econ Nutr Rev. 1997; 10: 2-15
- Parental feeding style and the inter-generational transmission of obesity risk.Obes Res. 2002; 10: 453-462
- Family environmental factors influencing the developing behavioral controls of food intake and childhood overweight.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2001; 48: 893-907
- Your Child's Weight: Helping Without Harming (Birth through Adolescence). Kelcy Press, Madison, WI2005
- Family meal patterns: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 317-322
- Television watching and other sedentary behaviors in relation to risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus in women.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1785-1791
- Television watching and frequency of family meals are predictive of overweight onset and persistence in a national sample of school-aged children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 53-61
- Fitness, dietary intake, and body mass index in urban Native American youth.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1187-1191
- Intrafamilial correlates of overweight and obesity in African-American and Native-American grandparents, parents, and children in rural Oklahoma.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 262-265
- Associations between watching TV during family meals and dietary intake among adolescents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 257-263
- Food and Culture. 4th ed. Thomson Wadsworth, Belmont, CA2004
Lang T, Raynor G, eds. Why health is the key to the future of food and farming. United Kingdom Health Development Agency. Available at: http://www.ukpha.org.uk. Accessed April 21, 2009.
- You are where you shop – grocery store locations, weight, and neighborhoods.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 10-17
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Overweight and obesity. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/. Accessed April 21, 2009.
- Factors associated with women's and children's body mass indices by income status.Int J Obes. 2004; 28: 536-542
- Low-income American Indians' perceptions of diabetes.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 307-315
- Weight-loss practices, nutrition beliefs, and weight-loss program preferences of urban American Indian women.J Am Diet Assoc. 2000; 100: 442-446
- Values and beliefs about obesity and weight reduction among African American and Caucasian women.J Transcult Nurs. 2006; 17: 290-297
- Healthful eating: perceptions, motivations, barriers, and promoters in low-income Minnesota communities.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 1158-1161
- Nutrition knowledge is associated with greater weight loss in obese and overweight low-income mothers.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 65-75
This research was funded by the Minnesota Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program and the Agricultural Experiment Station of the University of Minnesota.