Compare weight loss and maintenance between a face-to-face (FTF) weight management clinic and a clinic delivered via virtual reality (VR).
Participants were randomized to 3 months of weight loss with a weekly clinic delivered via FTF or VR and then 6 months' weight maintenance delivered with VR. Data were collected at baseline and 3 and 6 months for weight and process variables. Twenty overweight and obese individuals (31.1 ± 3.6 years of age; body mass index, 32.8 ± 5.1; 85% females; 20% minorities) responded to advertisement and met inclusion criteria. Diets (1,200–1,800 kcal/d) used prepackaged meals, fruits and vegetables, and physical activity (300 min/wk).
Weight loss was significantly greater for FTF at 10.8% compared with 7.6% for VR (P < .05). However, weight maintenance was significantly greater for VR at 14.0% compared with 9.5% for FTF (P < .05).
Conclusions and Implications
Virtual reality compares favorably with FTF for weight loss and may facilitate greater weight maintenance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Behavioral Approaches to the Treatment of Obesity.2nd ed. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY2004
- Efficacy of lifestyle modification for long-term weight control.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 151S-162S
- Prescription of exercise intensity for the obese patient: the relationship between heart rate, VO2 and perceived exertion.Int J Obes (Lond). 1995; 19: 382-387
- Improving the Maintenance of Weight Lost in Behavioral Treatment of Obesity.Guilford, New York, NY2002
- Dissimilar effects of one- and three-set strength training on strength and muscle mass gains in upper and lower body in untrained subjects.J Strength Cond Res. 2007; 21: 157-163
- Comparison of a phone vs clinic approach to achieve 10% weight loss.Int J Obes (Lond). 2007; 31: 1270-1276
Second Life. Linden Research Inc. http://www.secondlife.com. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- Virtual world teaching, experiential learning, and assessment: an interdisciplinary communication course in Second Life.Computers & Education. 2009; 53: 169-182
- A questionnaire for the assessment of leisure time physical activities.J Chronic Dis. 1978; 31: 741-755
- Effects of 16-months of verified, supervised aerobic exercise on macronutrient intake in overweight men and women: the Midwest Exercise Trial (MET).Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 950-956
- Results of the Diet, Exercise, and Weight Loss Intervention Trial (DEW-IT).Hypertension. 2002; 40: 612-618
- Randomized trial on protein vs carbohydrate in ad libitum fat reduced diet for the treatment of obesity.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1999; 23: 5528-5536
- Weight loss in women participating in a randomized trial of low-fat diets.Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 54: 821-828
- A new predictive equation for resting energy expenditure in healthy individuals.Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 51: 241-247
US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm. Published December 2010. Accessed December 13, 2012.
- American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand: appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 459-471
- Measuring perceived barriers to healthful eating in obese, treatment-seeking adults.J Nutr EducBehav. 2012; 44: 507-512
- Instructional design for advanced learners: establishing connections between the theoretical frameworks of cognitive load and deliberate practice.Educ Tech Res Dev. 2005; 53: 73-81
- Benefits of recruiting participants with friends and increasing social support for weight loss and maintenance.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1999; 67: 132-138
- Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation.Cambridge University Press, New York, NY1991
- Process evaluation of an internet-based resource for weight control: use and views of an obese sample.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 261-267
© 2013 Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.