Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.7th Ed. US Government Printing Office, , Washington, DCDecember 2010
Dietary Guidelines for Americans Committee. Nutrition Evidence Library. Subject topic: Fruits and Vegetables, 2010. US Department of Agriculture. http://www.nel.gov/topic.cfm?cat=3290. Accessed August 3, 2013.
- Have Americans increased their fruit and vegetable intake? The trends between 1988 and 2002.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 257-263
- Dietary diversity is associated with child nutritional status: evidence from 11 demographic and health surveys.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2579-2585
- Fruit juice intake predicts increased adiposity gain in children from low-income families: weight status-by-environment interaction.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 2066-2075
- State-specific trends in fruit and vegetable consumption among adults—United States, 2000-2009.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59: 1125-1130
- Feeding infants and toddlers study: improvements needed in meeting infant feeding recommendations.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: S31-S37
- Feeding infants and toddlers study: what foods are infants and toddlers eating?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: S22-S30
- Low-income African American adolescent mothers and their toddlers exhibit similar dietary consumption patterns.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 87-94
- Effect of fresh fruit availability at worksites on the fruit and vegetable consumption of low-wage employees.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: S113-S121
- Rural and urban differences in the association between characteristics of the community food environment and fruit and vegetable intake.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 426-433
- Food shopping perceptions, behaviors, and ability to purchase healthful food items in the Lower Mississippi Delta.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 339-348
- Effect of a targeted subsidy on intake of fruits and vegetables among low-income women in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 98-105
- Food security status and produce intake and behaviors of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children and Farmers' Market Nutrition Program participants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1903-1908
- Rural versus urban Texas WIC participants' fruit and vegetable consumption.Am J Health Behav. 2013; 37: 130-141
- Revised WIC food package improves diets of WIC families.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 204-209
- Produce price savings for consumers at farmers' markets compared to supermarkets in North Carolina.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2011; 6: 86-98
Flaccavento A. Is local food affordable for ordinary folks? A comparison of farmers' markets and supermarkets in nineteen communities in the southeast. SCALE, Inc report, 2011. http://www.ruralscale.com/resources/downloads/farmers-market-study.pdf. Accessed August 3, 2013.
- Availability of commonly consumed and culturally specific fruits and vegetables in African-American and Latino neighborhoods.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 746-752
- Social Learning Theory.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1977
- Development of a tool to assess psychosocial indicators of fruit and vegetable intake for 2 federal programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2005; 37: 170-184
Townsend MS. Fruit and Vegetable Inventory. 2005/2007. http://ucanr.org/sites/CEprogramevaluation/files/113712.pdf. Accessed August 3, 2013.
Sylva K, Townsend MS, Marin A, MetzD. Food Stamp Program Fruit and Vegetable Checklist. http://townsendlab.ucdavis.edu/PDF_files/FV/FSP_FV_InstructGuide.pdf. Accessed December 28, 2013.
Fruits—how much is needed daily? Choose MyPlate.gov. United States Department of Agriculture. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/fruits-amount.html#. Accessed April 25, 2013.
Vegetables—how much is needed daily or weekly? Choose MyPlate.gov. United States Department of Agriculture. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-amount.html. Accessed April 25, 2013.
- Farmers' market use among African American women participating in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 441-446
Jones S. Gaudette K. Farmers-market food costs less, class finds. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2003733548_farmers04.html. Accessed August 4, 2013.
- 5 a day fruit and vegetable intervention improves consumption in a low income population.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 195-202
- Attitudes towards fruit and vegetable consumption and farmers' market usage among low income North Carolinians.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2012; 7: 64-76
The second author of this article (Chapman-Novakofski) served on the JNEB staff as Editor-in-Chief. Review of this article was handled, exclusively, by a Guest Editor to minimize conflict of interest.
The authors have no conflict of interest to report with the sponsor of this supplement article or products discussed in this article.