Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Crete: A Case Study of an Underdeveloped Area.Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1953
- The diet and 15-year death rate in the seven countries study.Am J Epidemiol. 1986; 124: 903-915
- Global Status Report on Noncommunicable Diseases 2014.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2014
- International trends in coronary heart disease mortality and incidence rates.J Cardiovasc Risk. 1999; 6: 63-68
- Cardiovascular disease in Europe 2014: epidemiological update.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2950-2959
- Seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure.Hypertension. 2003; 42: 1206-1252
- 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S76-S99
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
The PRISMA Statement. http://www.prisma-statement.org. Accessed April 9, 2015.
Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews for Interventions, version 5.0.2. The Cochrane Collaboration. http://www.cochrane.org/training/cochrane-handbook. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Meta-analysis.in: Rothman K.J. Greenland S.S. Modern Epidemiology. Lippincott Raven, Philadelphia, PA1998: 643-673
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Estimation of effect size from a series of independent experiments.Psychol Bull. 1982; 92: 490-499
- Evaluation of old and new tests of heterogeneity in epidemiologic meta-analysis.Am J Epidemiol. 1999; 150: 206-215
- Effect of weight loss and lifestyle changes on vascular inflammatory markers in obese women: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1799-1804
- Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2004; 22: 1440-1446
- Effects of a Mediterranean-style diet on the need for antihyperglycemic drug therapy in patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151: 306-314
- Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or low-fat diet.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 229-241
- Effect of the Mediterranean diet on blood pressure in the PREDIMED trial: results from a randomized controlled trial.BMC Med. 2013; 11: 207https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-11-207
- Comparison of low-fat versus Mediterranean-style dietary intervention after first myocardial infarction (from The Heart Institute of Spokane Diet Intervention and Evaluation Trial).Am J Cardiol. 2008; 101: 1523-1530
- Effects of recommendations to follow the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet v. usual dietary advice on childhood metabolic syndrome: a randomised cross-over clinical trial.Br J Nutr. 2013; 110: 2250-2259
- Vegetarian diets and blood pressure: a meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 577-587
- Meta-analysis comparing Mediterranean to low-fat diets for modification of cardiovascular risk factors.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 841-851.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2011.04.024
- Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1279-1290
ENIDE: Evaluación nutricional de la dieta española. I energía y macronutrientes. Sobre datos de la Encuesta Nacional de Ingesta Dietética (ENIDE) 2011. http://aesan.msssi.gob.es/AESAN/docs/docs/evaluacion_riesgos/estudios_evaluacion_nutricional/valoracion_nutricional_enide_macronutrientes.pdf. Accessed April 9, 2015.
- Food and Environment (MAGRAMA).http://www.magrama.gob.es/ca/alimentacion/temas/consumo-y-comercializacion-y-distribucion-alimentaria/Informe_MES_A_MES_Diciembre__2013_tcm8-321940.pdf(Accessed April 9, 2015)
- The effect of Mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components: a meta-analysis of 50 studies and 534,906 individuals.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 1299-1313
- Accruing evidence on benefits of adherence to the Mediterranean diet on health: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1189-1196
- Relation of the traditional Mediterranean diet to cerebrovascular disease in a Mediterranean population.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 176: 1185-1192
- The Mediterranean diet in relation to mortality and CVD: a Danish cohort study.Br J Nutr. 2014; 111: 151-159
- Mendis S. Puska P. Norrving B. Global Atlas on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Control. World Health Organization (in collaboration with the World Heart Federation and World Stroke Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2011
- The Mediterranean diet, its components, and cardiovascular disease.Am J Med. 2015; 128: 229-238
- Effects of monounsaturated fatty acids on cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Nutr Metab. 2011; 59: 176-186
- Importance of functional foods in the Mediterranean diet.Public Health Nutr. 2006; 9: 1136-1140
- Why and how to implement sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium changes in food items and diets?.J Hum Hypertens. 2005; 19: S10-S19
- Bioactive Compounds in Plants—Benefits and Risks for Man and Animals.Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, Oslo, Norway2010
- Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives? A systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 348-366
UNESCO. The Mediterranean diet. Inscribed in 2010 on the Representative. List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity; 2010. http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/RL/00884. Accessed April 14, 2015.
- The Mediterranean diet in Spain: adherence trends during the past two decades using the Mediterranean Adequacy Index.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 622-628
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- National Heart Health MonthJournal of Nutrition Education and BehaviorVol. 51Issue 2
- PreviewI realize that all of JNEB's readership knows that February is National Heart Healthmonth. Most of us have taught programs on lower saturated fat, lower sodium, or higher fruit and vegetable eating patterns. In 2015, JNEB published a systematic review and meta-analysis on the effects of the Mediterranean Diet on hypertension, reporting that a positive, significant effect was found between the Mediterranean Diet and blood pressure although the effect was small.1 At that time only 6 trials were available.