Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
National Restaurant Association. 2015 Restaurant Industry Pocket Factbook. 2015. https://www.restaurant.org/Downloads/PDFs/News-Research/research/Factbook2015_LetterSize-FINAL.pdf. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Nutrient contribution of food away from home.in: Frazão E. American’s Eating Habits: Changes and Consequences. US Dept of Agriculture, Washington, DC1999: 213-242
- Restaurant menus: calories, calorie density, and serving size.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 249-255
- Attacking the obesity epidemic: the potential health benefits of providing nutrition information in restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1669-1675
- Reducing portion sizes to prevent obesity: a call to action.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 565-568
United States Food and Drug Administration. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Public Law 111–148, Sec. 4205–Nutrition labeling of standard menu items at chain restaurants. March 23, 2010. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2010-08-25/pdf/2010-21065.pdf. Accessed July 23, 2015.
- Weight changes, exercise, and dietary patterns during freshman and sophomore years of college.J Am Coll Health. 2005; 53: 245-251
- Purchasing behavior and calorie information at fast-food chains in New York City, 2007.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1457-1459
- Changes in energy content of lunchtime purchases from fast food restaurants after introduction of calorie labelling: cross sectional customer surveys.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4464
- New York City’s fight over calorie labeling: a two year struggle ultimately proves that innovation in food regulation is entirely possible at the local level.Health Affairs. 2009; 28: w1098-w1109
- Mandatory menu labeling in one fast-food chain in King County, Washington.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 122-127
- Helping consumers make more healthful food choices: consumer views on modifying food labels and providing point-of-purchase nutrition information at quick-service restaurants.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 157-163
- Knowledge, attitudes and potential response to menu labelling in an urban public health clinic population.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 13: 550-555
- Consumer purchasing patterns in response to calorie labeling legislation in New York City.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 51https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-51
- Promoting healthy choices: information vs. convenience.Am Econ J Appl Econ. 2010; 2: 164-178
- The roles of gender and motivation as moderators of the effects of calorie and nutrition information provision on away-from-home foods.J Consum Aff. 2009; 43: 249-273
- Does calorie information promote lower calorie fast food choices among college students?.J Adolesc Health. 2009; 44: 84-86
- The theory of planned behavior.Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 1991; 50: 182
- Taking an undergraduate nutrition course results in favorable attitudes toward a healthful diet and improved intake of several key nutrients.Fam Consum Sci Res J. 2009; 38: 3-10
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Questionnaire. Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2007-2008. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/search/nhanes07_08.aspx. Accessed July 24, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data. Hyattsville, MD: US Dept of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009-2010. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/search/nhanes09_10.aspx. Accessed July 24, 2015.
- Does involvement in healthy eating among university students differ based on exercise status and reasons for exercise?.Calif J Health Promot. 2007; 5: 106-119
- Psychosocial and environmental determinants of eating behaviors, physical activity, and weight change among college students: a qualitative analysis.J Am Coll Health. 2011; 59: 531-538
- A survey of dietary and exercise habits and perceived barriers to following a healthy lifestyle in a college population.Californian J Health Promot. 2004; 2: 10-19
- Why eat at fast food restaurants: reported reasons among frequent customers.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 2066-2070
- Differences exist in the eating habits of university men and women at fast food restaurants.Nutr Res. 2006; 26: 524-530
- Constructing Questionnaires Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior: A Manual for Health Services Researchers.University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK2004
- A Beginner’s Guide to Structural Equation Modeling.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ2004
- Multivariate Data Analysis.5th ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ1998
- Confirmatory factor analysis of the Child Feeding Questionnaire: a measure of parental attitudes, beliefs, and practices about child feeding and obesity proneness.Appetite. 2001; 36: 201-210
- Comparative fit indexes in structural equation models.Psychol Bull. 1990; 88: 588-606
- Alternative ways of assessing model fit.in: Bollen K. Long J. Testing Structural Equation Models. Sage, Newbury Park, CA1993: 136-192
- Exploratory or confirmatory factor analysis? Proceedings of the Thirty-first Annual SAS Users Group International Conference.SAS Institute, Cary, NC2006
- A Step-by-Step Approach to Using SAS for Univariate and Multivariate Statistics.2nd ed. SAS Institute, Inc, Cary, NC2005
- Psychometric Theory.McGraw-Hill Higher, Inc, New York, NY1994
National Institutes of Health. The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults (NIH Pub No. 00–4084). October 2000. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/prctgd_c.pdf. Accessed July 24, 2015.
- The relationship between self-rated health status and the overall quality of dietary intake of US adolescents.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1450-1453
- Students cluster into 4 groups according to the factors influencing their dietary intake.J Am Diet Assoc. 1998; 98: 1464-1467
- Examining the role of financial factors, resources and skills in predicting food security status among college students.Int J Consumer Sci. 2014; 38: 374-384
- Perceived facilitators of and barriers to healthful eating among university students.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2010; 71: e28-e33
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.