Conclusion and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
World Health Organization. Trade, foreign policy, diplomacy and health: food security. http://www.who.int/trade/glossary/story028/en/. Accessed June 14, 2015.
Coleman-Jensen A, Gregory C, Singh A. Household food security in the United States in 2013. http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/1565415/err173.pdf. Accessed June 14, 2015.
- Poverty and food intake in rural America: diet quality is lower in food insecure adults in the Mississippi delta.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1886-1894
- Relationship of hunger and food insecurity to food availability and consumption.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 1019-1024
- Roll of a food box program in fruit and vegetable consumption and food security.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2012; 73: 59-65
- Farmers’ market use is associated with fruit and vegetable consumption in diverse southern rural communities.Nutrition Journal. 2014; 13: 1
- Food venue choice, consumer food environment, but not food venue availability within daily travel patterns are associated with dietary intake among adults, Lexington Kentucky 2011.Nutrition Journal. 2013; 12: 17
- Enhancing food security of low-income consumers: an investigation of financial incentives for use at farmers markets.Food Policy. 2015; 52: 64-70
- Use of farmers markets by mothers of WIC recipients, Miami-Dade County, Florida, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E95
- Food security status and produce intake and behaviors of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children and Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program participants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1903-1908
- Characterizing farmers’ market shoppers: a literature review.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2012; 7: 38-52
- Comparing farmers’ market revenue trends before and after the implementation of a monetary incentive for recipients of food assistance.Prev Chronic Dis. 2014; 11: E87
- Improving fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income customers at farmers markets: Philly Food Bucks, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E166
- Linking farmers, healthy foods, and underserved consumers: exploring the impact of nutrition incentive programs on farmers and farmers’ markets.Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. 2012; 2: 63-77
- Review of the nutritional implications of farmers’ markets and community gardens: a call for evaluation and research efforts.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 399-408
- Increasing the healthiness of consumers through farmers’ markets.J Ext. 2013; 51
- Monetary matched incentives to encourage the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markets in underserved communities.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E188
- Implementing a farmers’ market incentive program: perspectives on the New York City Health Bucks Program.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E145
- Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey.2013Accessed January 30, 2015)
National Cancer Institute. Fruit and vegetable screeners in the Eating at America’s Table Study (EATS): scoring. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/diet/screeners/fruitveg/scoring/. Accessed January 30, 2015.
- Evaluation of a brief telephone questionnaire to estimate fruit and vegetable consumption in diverse study populations.Epidemiology. 1993; 4: 455-463
- Evaluation of 2 brief instruments and a food-frequency questionnaire to estimate daily number of servings of fruit and vegetables.Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 71: 1503-1510
- Reliability and validity of a short form household food security scale in a Caribbean community.BMC Public Health. 2004; 4
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. U.S. household food security survey: six item short form. http://www.ers.usda.gov/datafiles/Food_Security_in_the_United_States/Food_Security_Survey_Modules/short2012.pdf. Accessed January 30, 2015.
- Economic incentives to promote healthier food purchases: exploring acceptability and key factors for success.Health Promot Int. 2012; 27: 331-341
- An evaluation of the Connecticut Farmers Market Coupon Program.J Nutr Educ. 1992; 24: 185-191
- Evaluation of the South Carolina Seniors Farmers’ Market Nutrition Education Program.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 880-883
- Effect of a targeted subsidy on intake of fruits and vegetables among low-income women in the special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 98-105
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Evaluation of the Healthy Incentives Pilot (HIP): final report. http://www.fns.usda.gov/healthy-incentives-pilot-final-evaluation-report. Accessed February 8, 2015.
- Farmers’ markets: costs compared with supermarkets, use among WIC clients, and relationship to F&V intake and related psychosocial variables.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: S65-S70
- Effects of social approval bias on self-reported fruit and vegetable consumption: a randomized controlled trial.Nutr J. 2008; 7: 18
- A tailored multimedia nutrition education pilot program for low-income women receiving food assistance.Health Educ Res. 1999; 14: 257-267
- Impact of a focused nutrition educational intervention coupled with improved access to fresh produce on purchasing behavior and consumption of fruits and vegetables in overweight patients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Educ. 2014; 40: 100-106
- Healthy Options: a community-based program to address food insecurity.J Prev Interv Community. 2015; 43: 83-94
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.