Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Linking biodiversity, diet and health in policy and practice.Proc Nutr Soc. 2006; 65: 182-189
Kuhnlein HV. Biodiversity and sustainability of indigenous peoples' foods and diets. p118-124. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3004e/i3004e.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- Regional food diversity and human health.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2003; 12: 304-308
Koohafkan P. Dynamic conservation of globally important agricultural heritage systems: for a sustainable agriculture and rural development. p56-65. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3004e/i3004e.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
Campbell K, Noonam-Mooney K, Mulongoy KJ. Biodiversity, nutrition and human well-being in the context of the convention on biological biversity. p36-43. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3004e/i3004e.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- Encuesta Nacional de Salud y Nutricion del Ecuador (National Health and Nutrition Survey). ENSANUT-ECU 2011-2013.Ministerio de Salud Publica del Ecuador y Instituto Nacional de Estadisticas y Censos, Quito, Ecuador2013
- Encuesta nacional de salud y nutricion (National Health and Nutrition Survey) ENSANUT ECU 2012.Ministerio de Salud Publica del Ecuador y Instituto Nacional de Estadisticas y Censos, Quito, Ecuador2014
- The contribution of forests and trees to sustainable diets.Sustainability. 2013; 5: 4797-4824
- Theory, evidence and intervention mapping to improve behavior nutrition and physical activity interventions.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2005; 2
Etievant P, Bellisle F, Dallengeville J, et al. Dietary behaviours and practices: Determinants, action and outcomes. p102-107. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3004e/i3004e.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- The Health Belief Model and Personal Health Behavior.Society for Public Health Education, San Francisco, CA1974: 324-508
- The Health Belief Model: a decade later.Health Educ Q. 1984; 11: 1-47
- From intention to actions. A theory of planned behavior.in: Kuhl J. Beckmann J. Action-Control: From Cognition to Behavior. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany1985: 11-39
- Toward a comprehensive model of change.in: Miller W.R. Heather N. Treating Addictive Behaviors: Processes of Change. Springer US, Boston, MA1986: 3-27
- Nutrition education, behavioral theories, and the scientific method: another viewpoint.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2005; 37: 90-93
- Two models for defining the relationship between theory and practice in nutrition education: is the scientific method meeting our needs?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2004; 36: 146-154
- Psychosocial predictors of healthful dietary behavior in adolescents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 184-193
- Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part I: quantitative studies.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2006; 3: 22
- The theory of planned behavior and healthy eating.Health Psychol. 2002; 21: 194-201
- Empty forests, empty stomachs? Bushmeat and livelihoods in the Congo and Amazon Basins.International Forestry Review. 2011; 13: 355-368
- Indigenous Peoples’ Food Systems: The Many Dimensions of Culture, Diversity and Environment for Nutrition and Health.Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy2009
- Consumption of indigenous and traditional food crops: perceptions and realities from South Africa.Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems. 2013; 37: 902-914
- Pohnpei, FSM case study in a global health project documents its local food resources and successfully promotes local food for health.Pac Health Dialog. 2010; 16: 129-136
- Dietary change and traditional food systems of indigenous peoples.Annu Rev Nutr. 1996; 16: 417-442
Aguilar H, Cartagena I. Diversidad y abundancia de plantas útiles en 3 estratos de altitud de la zona de La Maná. http://www.dspace.espol.edu.ec/handle/123456789/13425. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- “Everybody loves Musa spp! an explorative study on local food biodiversity of Ecuador.”.I Congreso Internacional de Biotecnología y Biodiversidad CIBE-ESPOL Poster Presentation, Guayaquil, EcuadorJune 27, 2012
- Community entry in conducting rural focus groups: process, legitimacy, and lessons learned.J Rural Health. 2002; 18: 118-123
- Literature review: considerations in undertaking focus group research with culturally and linguistically diverse groups.J Clin Nurs. 2007; 16: 1000-1011
- Conducting focus groups with children and young people: strategies for success.J Res Nurs. 2007; 12: 473-483
- Krueger R. Casey M. Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2000
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
United Nations. United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/documents/DRIPS_en.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
Burneo S, Boada C. MammaliaWebEcuador. Versión 2012.1. http://zoologia.puce.edu.ec/Vertebrados/Mamiferos/MamiferosEcuador/default.aspx. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- Understanding interobserver agreement: the kappa statistic.Fam Med. 2005; 37: 360-363
- Young adults’ intention to eat healthy food: extending the theory of planned behaviour.Psychol Health. 2001; 16: 223-237
- Descriptive norms as an additional predictor in the theory of planned behaviour: a meta-analysis.Curr Psychol. 2003; 22: 218-233
- A conceptual model of the food and nutrition system.Soc Sci Med. 1998; 47: 853-863
- Brug J. van Lenthe F. Environmental Determinants and Interventions for Physical Activity, Nutrition and Smoking: A Review. Brug J, van Lenthe F, Rotterdam, The Netherlands2005
- Dietary contribution of wild edible plants to women’s diets in the buffer zone around the Lama forest, Benin—an underutilized potential.Food Security. 2014; 6: 833-849
- Food for two seasons: culinary uses of non-cultivated local vegetables and mushrooms in a south Italian village.Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2005; 56: 245-272
- The burden of disease from under nutrition and over nutrition in countries undergoing rapid nutrition transition: a view from Brazil.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 433-434
- The nutrition transition in low-income countries: an emerging crisis.Nutr Rev. 1994; 52: 285-298
- Transmission of indigenous knowledge and bush skills among the Western James Bay Cree women of subarctic Canada.Human Ecology. 1997; 25: 197-222
- Linking ecologists and traditional farmers in the search for sustainable agriculture.Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 2004; 2: 35-42
FAO. International Scientific Symposium Biodiversity and Sustainable Diets, United Against Hunger: Final Document. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/ag/humannutrition/23781-0e8d8dc364ee46865d5841c48976e9980.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
- A comparison of the effectiveness of an adult nutrition education program for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians.Soc Sci Med. 2015; 145: 120-124
- An action research on promotion of healthy ageing and risk reduction of chronic disease: a need assessment study among rural elderly Malays, care givers and health professionals.J Nutr Health Aging. 2009; 13: 925-930
Myriam P, Carla G-M. Linking family nutrition in city and country. 2014. http://www.agriculturesnetwork.org/magazines/global/reclaiming-nutrition/from-farms-to-towns. Accessed January 12, 2015.
Maire B, Delpeuch F. Nutrition indicators for development. FAO. Nutrition Planning, Assessment and Evaluation Service Food and Nutrition Division. Rome, 2005. http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/y5773e/y5773e00.HTM. Accessed January 7, 2016.
Jaramillo C, McGrath S, Grunnell AN, Mamen K, Feenstra G. Proposed indicators for sustainable food systems: an analysis prepared as part of the Vivid Picture project. 2005. http://coloradofarmtoschool.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/02/Proposed-indicators-for-sustainable-food-systems.pdf. Accessed January 7, 2016.
CBD. National Biodiversity Strategy Action Plan: Ecuador 2001. http://www.cbd.int/countries/?country=ec. Accessed November 25, 2012.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.