Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
WIC needs assessment. Arizona Department of Health Services Bureau of Nutrition and Physical Activity Research and Development. http://www.azdhs.com/azwic/documents/local_agencies/reports/wic-needs-assessment-02-22-13.pdf. Accessed March 15, 2015.
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
California WIC association. WIC nutrition education supports behavior change. http://www.phfewic.org/projects/files/NWA_NEFPI_Brief2010.FINAL.pdf. Accessed January 10, 2015.
- Design and outcomes of a mothers in motion behavioral intervention pilot study.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: S11-S21
- wichealth.org: impact of a stages of change-based Internet nutrition education program.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 222-229
- Participant-centered education: building a new WIC nutrition education model.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: S39-S46
- A client-centered nutrition education model: lessons learned from Texas WIC.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 54-61
- Get healthy together: a program to improve counseling for childhood obesity in community-based WIC clinics.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2014; 25: 771-786
- Psychosocial factors and intervention-associated changes in those factors as correlates of change in fruit and vegetable consumption in the Maryland WIC 5 a day promotion program.Ann Behav Med. 2000; 22: 307-315
- How to make nutrition education more meaningful through facilitated group discussions.JAMA. 1999; 99: 72-76
- The future of physical activity behavior change research: what is needed to improve translation of research into health promotion practice?.Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2004; 32: 57-63
- Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research.3rd ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2000
Wimmer RD, Dominick JR. Mass Media Research: An Introduction. 9th ed. Brief guide for conducting focus groups. http://www.rogerwimmer.com/mmr9e/mmrfocusgroups.htm. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Demonstrating rigor using thematic analysis: a hybrid approach of inductive and deductive coding and theme development.Int J Qual Meth. 2006; 5: 80-92
- Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research.4th ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2009
- Touching hearts, touching minds: using emotion-based messaging to promote healthful behavior in the Massachusetts WIC program.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: S59-S65
- Client satisfaction with the nutrition education component of the California WIC program.J Nutr Educ. 2001; 33: 83-94
Horrigan J. The numbers behind the broadband “homework gap.” Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/20/the-numbers-behind-the-broadband-homework-gap/. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Making WIC Work for Multicultural Communities: Best Practices in Outreach and Nutrition Education. Food and Research Outreach Center (FRAC).2009
- How to strengthen and enhance WIC nutrition education.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 317-321
Illinois Nutrition Education Programs. All About EFNEP. http://web.extension.illinois.edu/INEP/efnep.cfm. Accessed March 15, 2015.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.