Main Outcome Measure
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult to sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1557S-1600S
- Wunderlich G.S. Norwood J.L. Food Insecurity and Hunger in the United States: An Assessment of the Measure. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
Food security in the US: Measurement. US Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/measurement.aspx. Accessed March 17, 2016.
- Food insecurity in university students receiving financial aid.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2006; 67: 43-46
- Food insecurity and the risks of depression and anxiety in mothers and behavior problems in their preschool-aged children.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e859-e868
- Food insecurity is associated with diabetes mellitus: results from the national health examination and nutrition examination survey (NHANES) 1999-2002.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1018-1023
- Seasonal changes in household food insecurity and symptoms of anxiety and depression.Am J Phys Anthropol. 2008; 135: 225-232
- Food insecurity is associated with nutrient inadequacies among Canadian adults and adolescents.J Nutr. 2008; 129: 525S-528S
- Food insecurity prevalence among college students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2097-2103
- Student food insecurity: the skeleton in the university closet.Nutr Diet. 2011; 68: 27-32
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among students attending a midsize rural university in Oregon.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 209-214
- Feeding a family in a recession: food insecurity among Minnesota parents.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 520-526
- The association between food insecurity and inflammation in the US adult population.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1579-1586
- Household food security in the United States in 2013.Economic Research Report. 2014; : 173
- The relationship between perceived psychological distress, behavioral indicators and African-American female college student food insecurity.Am J Health Studies. 2013; 28: 127-133
- Household food insecurity is associated with adult health status.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2330-2335
- The food insecurity-obesity paradox: a review of the literature and the role food stamps may play.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1952-1961
- Food insecurity is associated with obesity among US adults in 12 states.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1403-1409
- Food insecurity and obesity: a dual challenge for low-income families.Zero Three. 2007; 28: 24-30
- Food insecurity is not associated with lower energy intakes.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 1908-1913
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Characterization of household food insecurity in Quebec: food and feelings.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 54: 119-132
Opidee I. Supporting first-gen college students, 24 ideas for guiding students through the social, academic, financial, and administrative challenges of college. University Business. http://www.universitybusiness.com/article/supporting-first-gen-college-students. Accessed January 24, 2016.
Bidwell A. Average student loan debt approaches $30,000. US News & World Report. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/11/13/average-student-loan-debt-hits-30-000. Accessed January 24, 2016.
Kiersz A. The economies of all 50 US states and Washington DC from worst to best. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/state-economy-ranking-july-2015-2015-7. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- Web surveys versus other survey modes: a meta-analysis comparing response rates.Int J Market Res. 2008; 50: 79-104
Mills G, Weinfield NS, Borger C, et al. Hunger in America: state report for Illinois 2014. Feeding America. http://www.feedingillinois.org/media/pdf/2014-HIA-Illinois-full-report-2.pdf. January 24, 2016.
- University students intend to eat better but lack coping self-efficacy and knowledge of dietary recommendations.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 12-19
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- The Prevalence of Food Security and Insecurity Among Illinois University Students: Reporting the Strength of AssociationJournal of Nutrition Education and BehaviorVol. 48Issue 9
- PreviewWe were interested to read the article by Morris and colleagues1 published in the Journal. The authors aimed to estimate the prevalence of the food security status of Illinois university students and to evaluate the association between sociodemographic characteristics and food security status. Their study demonstrated that the prevalence of food insecurity was 35.0% and that there were a significant association between sociodemographic characteristics including race, grade point average, loan use, and living location and food-insecure status.