Main Outcome Measure
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Modifiable risk factors for cancer.Br J Cancer. 2004; 90: 299-303
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Prevention Program. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/index.html. Accessed November 20, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Overweight & Obesity: Strategies to Prevent Obesity. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/strategies/index.html. Accessed November 20, 2015.
- The Burden of Chronic Diseases and Their Risk Factors: National and State Perspectives.Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2004
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Healthy People 2020. http://www.healthypeople.gov/. Accessed November 20, 2015.
- Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2011.Census Bureau, U.S.2012: P60-P243
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- A systematic review of the relationship between acculturation and diet among Latinos in the United States: implications for future research.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1330-1344
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Direct medical cost of overweight and obesity in the USA: a quantitative systematic review.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 50-61
- Effectiveness of a community health worker intervention among African American and Latino adults with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 2253-2260
- Creating healthful home food environments: results of a study with participants in the expanded food and nutrition education program.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 380-388
- Influence of behavioral theory on fruit and vegetable intervention effectiveness among children: a meta-analysis.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 506-546
- Outcomes of a Latino community-based intervention for the prevention of diabetes: the Lawrence Latino Diabetes Prevention Project.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 336-342
- The effectiveness of two community-based weight loss strategies among obese, low-income US Latinos.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 537-550.e532
- Major issues and controveries in the use of mixed methods in the social and behvioral sciences.Handbook of Mixed Methods in Social & Behavioral Research, Thousand Oaks, CA2003: 3-50
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- Dietary change through African American churches: baseline results and program description of the Eat for Life trial.J Cancer Educ. 2000; 15: 156-163
- Pilot weight control intervention among US veterans to promote diets high in fruits and vegetables.Prev Med. 2010; 51: 279-281
- Mediation of adult fruit and vegetable consumption in the National 5 A Day for Better Health community studies.Ann Behav Med. 2008; 35: 49-60
- Information processes mediate the effect of a health communication intervention on fruit and vegetable consumption.J Health Commun. 2011; 16: 282-299
- Plasma C-reactive protein and homocysteine concentrations are related to frequent fruit and vegetable intake in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white elders.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 913-918
- Fruit and vegetable intake in the United States: the baseline survey of the five a day for better health program.Am J Health Promot. 1995; 9: 352-360
- Social cognitive determinants of nutrition and physical activity among web-health users enrolling in an online intervention: the influence of social support, self-efficacy, outcome expectations, and self-regulation.J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13: e28
- Self-regulation, self-efficacy, outcome expectations, and social support: social cognitive theory and nutrition behavior.Ann Behav Med. 2007; 34: 304-312
World Health Organization. BMI Classification. http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html. Accessed November 20, 2015.
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc Series B Stat Methodol. 1995; : 289-300
- False discovery rate control is a recommended alternative to Bonferroni-type adjustments in health studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 850-857
- Qualitative content analysis: a guide to paths not taken.Qual Health Res. 1993; 3: 112-121
- Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1998
- Handbook of Qualitative Research.2nd ed. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2000
- Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1994
United States Department of Agriculture. Choose My Plate. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Accessed November 20, 2015.
- Social cognitive mediators of change in a group randomized nutrition and physical activity intervention social support, self-efficacy, outcome expectations and self-regulation in the Guide-to-Health Trial.J Health Psychol. 2010; 15: 21-32
- Role of parents in the determination of the food preferences of children and the development of obesity.Int J Obes. 2004; 28: 858-869
- “She looks out for the meals, period”: African American men's perceptions of how their wives influence their eating behavior and dietary health.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 447-455
- Food choices among newly married couples: convergence, conflict, individualism, and project.Appetite. 2003; 40: 25-41
- Nutrition education and counselling provided during pregnancy: effects on maternal, neonatal and child health outcomes.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 191-204
- Current and Prospective Scope of Hunger and Food Security in America: A Review of Current Research.RTI International, Research Triangle Park, NC2014
- A mixed-methods evaluation of a SNAP-Ed farmers' market-based nutrition education program.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; : 47516-47525.e1
- Tailored nutrition education and food assistance improve adherence to HIV antiretroviral therapy: evidence from Honduras.AIDS Behav. 2014; 18: 566-577
- Family nutritional support improves survival, immune restoration and adherence in HIV patients receiving ART in developing country.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2010; 19: 68
- Nutrition Counseling, Care and Support for HIV-Infected Women: Guidelines on HIV-Related Care, Treatment and Support for HIV-Infected Women and Their Children in Resource Constrained Settings.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2004
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.