Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- An “ecological” approach to the obesity pandemic.BMJ. 1997; 315: 477-480
- Strengthening of accountability systems to create healthy food environments and reduce global obesity.Lancet. 2015; 385: 2534-2545
- Monitoring the availability of healthy and unhealthy foods and non-alcoholic beverages in community and consumer retail food environments globally.Obes Rev. 2013; 14: 108-119
- The local food environment and diet: a systematic review.Health Place. 2012; 18: 1172-1187
Applied Research Program, Division of Cancer Central and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute. Measures of the Food Environment. http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/mfe. Accessed August 19, 2016.
- Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 253-272
- Nutrition Environment Measures Survey in Stores (NEMS-S): development and evaluation.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 282-289
- Nutrition Environment Measures Study in restaurants (NEMS-R): development and evaluation.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 273-281
- Development and validation of a farmers' market audit tool in rural and urban communities.Health Promot Pract. 2015; 16: 859-866
- Adaptation and validation of a nutrition environment measures survey for university grab-and-go establishments.Can J Diet Pract Res. 2016; 77: 17-24
- Nutrition environment measures survey-vending: development, dissemination, and reliability.Health Promot Pract. 2012; 13: 425-430
- Texas nutrition environment assessment of retail food stores (TxNEA-S): development and evaluation.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 1764-1772
- Validation of an adapted version of the Nutrition Environment Measurement Tool for Stores (NEMS-S) in an urban area of Brazil.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 785-792
- Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures.Am J Health Promot. 2005; 19 (ii): 330-333
- Food guides reflect similarities and differences in dietary guidance in three countries (Japan, Canada, and the United States).Nutr Rev. 2007; 65: 141-148
- Improving the comparability of national estimates of fruit and vegetable consumption for cross-national studies of dietary patterns.Food Nutr Bull. 2012; 33: 312-317
- Neighbourhood socioeconomic disadvantage and fruit and vegetable consumption: a seven countries comparison.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 68
Library and Archives Canada. Ethno-cultural groups. http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/pages/ethno-cultural-groups.aspx. Accessed April 1, 2016.
- Where people shop is not associated with the nutrient quality of packaged foods for any racial-ethnic group in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103: 1125-1134
- Racial–ethnic minority youth in rural America: theoretical perspectives, conceptual challenges, and future directions.in: Crockett L.J. Carlo G. Racial Ethnic Minority Youth and Families in the United States: Theory, Research, and Applications. Springer International Publishing, Basel, Switzerland2016: 13-36
Statistics Canada. Immigration and ethnocultural diversity in Canada. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-010-x/99-010-x2011001-eng.cfm. Accessed December 13, 2015.
- Findings on dietary patterns in different groups of African origin undergoing nutrition transition.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2010; 35: 224-228
- Dietary transition stages based on eating patterns and diet quality among Haitians of Montreal, Canada.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 454-463
- The importance of a multi-dimensional approach for studying the links between food access and consumption.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 1170-1174
City of Toronto. Kingston-Galloway neighbourhood improvement area snapshot. Social Policy, Analysis, and Research Social Development, Finance, and Administration, Toronto, Canada. http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/Social%20Development,%20Finance%20&%20Administration/Shared%20Content/Demographics/PDFs/NIA_2011_Profiles/2011-NIA-KingstonGalloway.pdf. Accessed March 20, 2016.
Statistics Canada. 2011 National household survey profile—Federal electoral district (2013 Representation Order). https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=FED2013&Code1=35094&Data=Count&SearchText=scarborough&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&A1=All&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1. Accessed April 1, 2016.
Health Canada. Eating well with Canada's food guide. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php. Accessed August 19, 2016.
Buxton, W, Sniderman, R. Iteration in the design of the human-computer interface. Proceedings of the 13th annual meeting. Rexdale, Ontario: Human Factors Association of Canada; 1980:72–81.
- The use of mobile phones as a data collection tool: a report from a household survey in South Africa.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2009; 9: 51
- Opportunities and problems with automated data collection via smartphones.Mob Media Commun. 2013; 1: 63-68
- Travel mode detection with varying smartphone data collection frequencies.Sensors. 2016; 16: 1-24
- Using GPS data to study neighborhood walkability and physical activity.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: e65-e72
- Steps forward: review and recommendations for research on walkability, physical activity and cardiovascular health.Public Health Rev. 2012; 33: 484-506
- Stepping towards causation: do built environments or neighborhood and travel preferences explain physical activity, driving, and obesity?.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1898-1914
- Reliability of a survey tool for measuring consumer nutrition environment in urban food stores.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2011; 17: E1-E8
- Development and reliability testing of a food store observation form.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 540-548
- Objective food environments and health outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 289-296
- Measuring the food environment: shelf space of fruits, vegetables, and snack foods in stores.J Urban Health Bull N Y Acad Med. 2009; 86: 672-682
- Empowerment of promotoras as promotora–researchers in the Comidas Saludables & Gente Sana en las Colonias del Sur de Tejas (Healthy Food and Healthy People in South Texas Colonias) Program.J Prim Prev. 2013; 34: 41-57
Center for Health Behavior Research, University of Pennsylvania. NEMS workshops. http://www.med.upenn.edu/nems/workshops.shtml. Accessed April 1, 2016.
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- A critical discussion of intraclass correlation coefficients.Stat Med. 1994; 13: 2465-2476
- Intraclass correlations: uses in assessing rater reliability.Psychol Bull. 1979; 86: 420-428
- Guidelines, criteria, and rules of thumb for evaluating normed and standardized assessment instruments in psychology.Psychol Assess. 1994; 6: 284-290
- Similarities in Italian and Greek multidimensional ethnic identity: some implications for food consumption.Can J Adm Sci Rev Can Sci Adm. 2005; 22: 143-167
- Changes in dietary habits after migration and consequences for health: a focus on South Asians in Europe.Food Nutr Res. 2012; 56: 1-13
- Nutrition transition and its relationship to the development of obesity and related chronic diseases.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 48-52
- Acculturation and sociocultural influences on dietary intake and health status among Puerto Rican adults in Massachusetts.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 64-74
- Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada's immigrants.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 61: 2469-2481
- Difficulty in the food environment and the experience of food insecurity among refugees resettled in the United States.Ecol Food Nutr. 2010; 49: 390-407
- Unpacking dietary acculturation among new Americans: results from formative research with African refugees.J Immigr Minor Health Cent Minor Public Health. 2009; 11: 342-358
- “You have to hunt for the fruits, the vegetables”: environmental barriers and adaptive strategies to acquire food in a low-income African-American neighborhood.Health Educ Behav. 2011; 38: 282-292
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.