Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Energy intakes of US children and adults by food purchase location and by specific food source.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 59
- Healthy nutrition environments: concepts and measures.Am J Health Promot. 2005; 19: 330-333
- White house proposes healthy food financing initiative.Environ Health Perspect. 2010; 118: A156
- Reestablishing healthy food retail: changing the landscape of food deserts.Child Obes. 2012; 8: 28-30
- Diet and perceptions change with supermarket introduction in a food desert, but not because of supermarket use.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1858-1868
- Distance to store, food prices, and obesity in urban food deserts.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 587-595
- New neighborhood grocery store increased awareness of food access but did not alter dietary habits or obesity.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 283-291
- Assessment of a government-subsidized supermarket in a high-need area on household food availability and children's dietary intakes.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 26: 1-10
- Deprivation, diet, and food-retail access: findings from the Leeds ‘food deserts’ study.Environ Plann A. 2003; 35: 151-188
- Prevalence of obesity among adults from rural and urban areas of the United States: findings from NHANES (2005-2008).J Rural Health. 2012; 28: 392-397
- Placement and promotion strategies to increase sales of healthier products in supermarkets in low-income, ethnically diverse neighborhoods: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 1359-1368
- Retail grocery store marketing strategies and obesity: an integrative review.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 503-512
- Strategies for increasing fruit and vegetable intake in grocery stores and communities: policy, pricing, and environmental change.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 75-80
- Obesity: can behavioral economics help?.Ann Behav Med. 2009; 38: 47-55
- Shopper marketing nutrition interventions.Physiol Behav. 2014; 136: 111-120
- A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 527-533
- Traffic-light labels and choice architecture: promoting healthy food choices.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 143-149
- A point-of-purchase intervention featuring in-person supermarket education affects healthful food purchases.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 225-232
- Shopper marketing nutrition interventions: social norms on grocery carts increase produce spending without increasing shopper budgets.Prev Med Rep. 2015; 18: 287-291
- Supermarket and grocery store-based interventions to promote healthful food choices and eating practices: a systematic review.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E50
Hopping BN. Local food perceptions and shopping behaviors in rural North Carolina: a novel, retail-based approach for promoting health. [Dissertation]. Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina; 2016.
American FactFinder. http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. Accessed August 19, 2016.
County Health Rankings. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/. Accessed August 19, 2016.
Food Environment Atlas. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-environment-atlas/go-to-the-atlas.aspx. Accessed August 19, 2016.
- Development and reliability testing of a food store observation form.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 540-548
- Correspondence of the NCI fruit and vegetable screener to repeat 24-H recalls and serum carotenoids in behavioral intervention trials.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 200S-204S
Park S, Pan L. A Data User's Guide to the BRFSS Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Questions: How to Analyze Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages. https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/data_documentation/pdf/brfss_ssb-userguide.pdf. Accessed September 6, 2016.
- Reliability of self-reported neighborhood characteristics.J Urban Health. 2004; 81: 682-701
- Attractive names sustain increased vegetable intake in schools.Prev Med. 2012; 55: 330-332
- Reduction in purchases of sugar-sweetened beverages among low-income black adolescents after exposure to caloric information.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 329-335
- The influence of price discount versus bonus pack on the preference for virtue and vice foods.J Market Res. 2011; 48: 196-206
- Social norms and financial incentives to promote employees' healthy food choices: a randomized controlled trial.Prev Med. 2016; 86: 12-18
- Potential effect of physical activity calorie equivalent (PACE) labeling on adult fast food ordering and exercise.PloS One. 2015; 10: e0134289
- Potential effect of physical activity based menu labels on the calorie content of selected fast food meals.Appetite. 2013; 62: 173-181
- The influence of menu labeling on calories selected or consumed: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1375-1388.e15
- Are we aware of the external factors that influence our food intake?.Health Psychol. 2008; 27: 533-538
- Effectiveness of subsidies in promoting healthy food purchases and consumption: a review of field experiments.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 1215-1228
- Experimental research on the relation between food price changes and food-purchasing patterns: a targeted review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 95: 789-809
- Minimum Stocking Levels and Marketing Strategies of Healthful Foods for Small Retail Food Stores.Healthy Eating Research, Durham, NC2016
- The effects of a 25% discount on fruits and vegetables: results of a randomized trial in a three-dimensional web-based supermarket.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 11
- Effects of different discount levels on healthy products coupled with a healthy choice label, special offer label or both: results from a web-based supermarket experiment.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 59
- Social meaning in supermarkets as a direct route to improve parents' fruit and vegetable purchases.Agric Resour Econ Rev. 2012; 41: 124-137
- Supermarket choice, shopping behavior, socioeconomic status, and food purchases.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 868-877
- Association of supermarket characteristics with the body mass index of their shoppers.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 117
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.