Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Disparities and access to healthy food in the United States: a review of food deserts literature.Health Place. 2010; 16: 876-884
- If you stock it, will they buy it? Healthy food availability and customer purchasing behaviour within corner stores in Hartford, CT, USA.Public Health Nutr. 2012; 15: 1973-1978
- Changes in food and beverage environments after an urban corner store intervention.Prev Med (Baltim). 2014; 65: 7-12
- Healthy bodegas: increasing and promoting healthy foods at corner stores in New York City.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e27-e31
- A corner store intervention in a low-income urban community is associated with increased availability and sales of some healthy foods.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2060-2067
Gillespie G, Hilchey DL, Hinrichs CC, Feenstra G. Farmers’ markets as keystones in rebuilding local and regional food systems. In: Hinrichs CC, Lyson TA, eds. Remaking the North American Food System: Strategies for Sustainability. Lincoln, NE; University of Nebraska; 2007:65–83.
- Reducing the geographic and financial barriers to food access: perceived benefits of farmers’ markets and monetary incentives.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 429-444
- Increasing farm income and local food access: a case study of a collaborative aggregation, marketing, and distribution strategy that links farmers to markets.J Agric Food Syst Community Dev. 2011; 1: 157-175
- A cross-sectional study on health differences between rural and non-rural U.S. counties using the County Health Rankings.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 441
Ploeg M Ver, Breneman V, Dutko P, et al. Access to affordable and nutritious food: updated estimates of distance to supermarkets using 2010 data. USDA Econ Res Serv—ERR143. https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/err143/33844_err143_summary.pdf. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- Mobile and home-based vendors’ contributions to the retail food environment in rural South Texas Mexican-origin settlements.Appetite. 2012; 59: 212-217
- The “Rolling Store”; an economical and environmental approach to the prevention of weight gain in African American women.Ethn Dis. 2009; 19: 7-12
US Census Bureau. State & County QuickFacts: Merced County, California. http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/AGE765210/06047. Accessed December 2, 2016.
USDA Economic Research Service. The Food Access Research Atlas: Merced County, California. https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/go-to-the-atlas. Accessed December 2, 2016.
- A convergent diffusion and social marketing approach for disseminating proven approaches to physical activity promotion.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: S11-S23
- Social marketing: an approach to planned social change on JSTOR.J Mark. 1971; 35: 3-12
- Social marketing in public health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2005; 26: 319-339
- Case Study Research: Design and Methods.5th ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2014
- Developing a performance nutrition curriculum for collegiate athletics.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 419-424.e1
- Mixed Methods in Health Sciences Research: A Practical Primer.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2015
- Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2011
- Qualitative content analysis.Forum Qual Soc Res. 2000; 1: 20
- Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2009
- How to Use Qualitative Methods in Evaluation.2nd ed. Sage, Newbury Park1987
- A natural experiment opportunity in two low-income urban food desert communities: research design, community engagement methods, and baseline results.Health Educ Behav. 2015; 42: 87S-96S
- Alternative agrifood projects in communities of color: a civic engagement perspective.J Agric Food Syst Community Dev. 2015; 5: 69-75
- Rural and urban differences in the associations between characteristics of the community food environment and fruit and vegetable intake.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 426-433
Valdez Z, Ramirez AS, Estrada E, Nathan S, Grassi K. Community perspectives on access to and availability of healthy food in rural, low-resource, Latino communities [published online ahead of print December 15, 2016]. Prev Chronic Dis. http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd13.160250.
Lopez MH, Gonzalez-Barrera A, Patten E. Closing the Digital Divide: Latinos and Technology Adoption. Washington, DC; 2013. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2013/03/07/closing-the-digital-divide-latinos-and-technology-adoption/. Accessed November 27, 2016.
- The role of theory in developing effective health communications.J Commun. 2006; 56: 1-17
Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. Food Environment Atlas. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-environment-atlas/go-to-the-atlas.aspx. Accessed November 27, 2016.
Ploeg M Ver, Mancino L, Todd JE, Clay DM, Scharadin B. Where Do Americans Usually Shop for Food and How Do They Travel to Get There? Initial Findings From the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/eib-economic-information-bulletin/eib138.aspx. Accessed May 18, 2016.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.