Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusion and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- What are the health implications associated with the consumption of energy drinks? A systematic review.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 135-148
- Energy drinks: an assessment of their market size, consumer demographics, ingredient profile, functionality, and regulations in the United States.Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2010; 9: 303-317
- The effects of energy drink in combination with alcohol on performance and subjective awareness.Psychopharmacology. 2012; 222: 519-532
- New-onset seizures in adults: possible association with consumption of popular energy drinks.Epilepsy Behav. 2007; 10: 504-508
- Energy drink consumption is associated with anxiety in Australian young adult males.Depress Anxiety. 2014; 31: 420-428
- Consumption of energy drinks by children and young people: a rapid review examining evidence of physical effects and consumer attitudes.BMJ Open. 2016; 6: e010380
- Health effects of energy drinks on children, adolescents, and young adults.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: 511-528
- A case of caffeine-induced coronary artery vasospasm of a 17-year-old male.Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2012; 12: 175-179
- Energy drinks: health risks and toxicity.Med J Aust. 2012; 196: 46-49
- The impact of alcohol and energy drink consumption on intoxication and risk-taking behavior.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013; 37: 1234-1242
- Alcohol and energy drinks: a pilot study exploring patterns of consumption, social contexts, benefits and harms.BMC Res Notes. 2012; 5: 369
Australian Beverages Council. Energy Drinks–An Industry Commitment. Sydney, Australia: Australian Medical Association; 2013.
Food Regulation Standing Committee Caffeine Working Group. Food Regulation Policy Options Paper: The regulation of caffeine in foods. Sydney, Australia: Australian Government Department of Health; 2013.
- Awareness of energy drink intake guidelines and associated consumption practices: a cross-sectional study.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 6
- Community concern about the sale of high-caffeine drinks to children under 12 years of age: Western Australia population survey results.Health Promot J Austr. 2013; 24: 156-157
- Energy drink consumption in Europe: a review of the risks, adverse health effects, and policy options to respond.Front Public Health. 2014; 2: 134
- Energy drinks for children and adolescents.BMJ. 2010; 340: 64
Australian Medical Association. Country women invigorate energy drink ban idea. Canberra, Australia: Australian Medical Association; 2014. https://ama.com.au/ausmed/country-women-invigorate-energy-drink-ban-idea. Accessed March 20, 2016.
- Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia.Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, Australia2016
- Young adolescents' perceptions, patterns, and contexts of energy drink use: a focus group study.Appetite. 2014; 80: 183-189
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of polciies and programmes to reduce the harm caused by alcohol.Lancet. 2009; 373: 2234-2246
- The cancer emporer's new clothes: Australia's historic legislation for plain tobacco packaging.BMJ Case Reports. 2010; 340: c2436
- Has the introduction of plain packaging with larger graphic health warnings changed adolescents' perceptions of cigarette packs and brands?.Tobacco Control. 2015; 24: II42-II49
- Effectiveness of cigarette warnign lables in informing smokers about the risks of smoking: findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey.Tobacco Control. 2006; 15: iii9-iii25
- Overall and income specific effect on prevalence of overweight and obesity of 20% sugar sweetened drink tax in UK: econometric and comparative risk assessment modelling study.BMJ. 2013; 347: f6189
- Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to reduce tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 16-66
- Adolescent consumption of sports and energy drinks: linkages to higher physical activity, unhealthy beverage patterns, cigarette smoking, and screen media use.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 181-187
- Energy drink consumption among young Australian adults: associations with alcohol and illicit drug use.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 134: 30-37
- An analysis of energy-drink toxicity in the National Poison Data System.Clin Toxicol. 2013; 51: 566-574
- Social Learning Theory.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1977
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors' conflict of interest disclosures can be found online with this article on www.jneb.org.