Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- An intervention study targeting energy and nutrient intake in worksite cafeterias.Eat Behav. 2010; 11: 144-151
- A multi-component intervention for modifying food selections in a worksite cafeteria.J Nutr Educ. 1987; 19: 277-280
- An environmental intervention to increase fruit and salad purchases in a cafeteria.Prev Med. 1994; 23: 788-792
- Food choices of minority and low-income employees: a cafeteria intervention.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 240-248
- A study of the importance of education and cost incentives on individual food choices at the Harvard School of Public Health cafeteria.J Am Coll Nutr. 2008; 27: 6-11
- Changing cafeteria eating habits—new direction for public-health care.J Am Diet Assoc. 1980; 76: 15-20
- Point-of-purchase messages framed in terms of cost, convenience, taste, and energy improve healthful snack selection in a college foodservice setting.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 909-913
- Pilot study of a cafeteria program relying primarily on symbols to promote healthy choices.J Nutr Educ. 1996; 28: 282-285
- Use of the Go-for-Green nutrition labeling system in military dining facilities is associated with lowerfat intake.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1067-1071
- Effects of visual presentation of caloric values on food buying by normal and obese persons.Percept Mot Skills. 1976; 42: 155-162
- Nutrition as a component of the performance triad: how healthy eating behaviors contribute to soldier performance and military readiness.US Army Med Dep J. 2013 Oct-Dec; : 66-78
- Eating patterns and leisure-time exercise among active duty military personnel: comparison to the Healthy People objectives.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 907-919
- Adherence to the dietary guidelines for Americans is associated with psychological resilience in young adults: a cross-sectional study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 396-403
Bray RM, Pemberton MR, Hourani LL, et al. 2008 Department of Defense Survey of Health Related Behaviors Among Active Duty Military Personnel: A Component of the Defense Lifestyle Assessment Program (DLAP). Research Triangle Park, NC: RTI International; 2009. http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a527178.pdf. Accessed October 13, 2018.
- Effects of a healthy food supply intervention in a military setting: positive changes in cereal, fat and sugar containing foods.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 91-101
- Effects of modified foodservice practices in military dining facilities on ad libitum nutritional intake of US army soldiers.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 920-927
- Nutritional fitness.Mil Med. 2010; 175: 65-72
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: nutrition and athletic performance.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 501-528
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Instruction. Chairman's Total Force Fitness Framework. CJCSI 3405.01. Chairman's Total Force Fitness Framework 2011. http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Documents/Library/Instructions/3405_01.pdf?ver=2016-02-05-175032-517. Accessed October 13, 2018.
US Army Public Health Command. Performance triad. https://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/campaigns/perftriad/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed October 13, 2018.
US Army Special Operations Command. Memorandum for Record: Secial Operations Forces (SOF) Performance-Based Menu Standards and Guidelines. In: US Army Special Operations Command; 2012.
US Olympic Committee. US Olympic Center Athlete Training Table Performance-Based Menu Recommended Planning Guidelines. Colorado Springs, CO: Olympic Training Center; 2011.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2010
Department of Defense. Joint Subsistence Policy Board Department of Defense Menu Standards 2010. http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/DOD%20Nutrition%20Standards-FINAL%20.pdf. Accessed December 14, 2017.
Department of the Army Pamphlet 30-22. Operating Procedures for the Army Food Program. Washington, DC: Army DOT; 2017. https://dmna.ny.gov/foodservice/docs/references/DA_PAM_30-22.pdf. Accessed December 14, 2017.
- Digital food photography technology improves efficiency and feasibility of dietary intake assessments in large populations eating ad libitum in collective dining facilities.Appetite. 2017; 116: 389-394
- Comparison of digital photography to weighed and visual estimation of portion sizes.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1139-1145
- Digital photography: a new method for estimating food intake in cafeteria settings.J Eat Weight Disord. 2004; 9: 24-28
Agricultural Research Service. Food Surveys Research Group. Beltsville, MD: US Department of Agriculture; 2016. http://www.ars.usda.gov/nea/bhnrc/fsrg. Accessed July 25, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans: 2015-2020. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-3/.Accessed December 14, 2017.
- Update of the Healthy Eating Index: HEI-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 569-580
- Trends in dietary quality among adults in the United States, 1999 through 2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1587-1595
- Healthy Eating Index-2010 and food groups consumed by US adults who meet or exceed fiber intake recommendations NHANES 2001-2010.Food Nutr Res. 2016; 60: 29977
- Effectiveness of healthy menu changes in a nontrainee military dining facility.Mil Med. 2016; 181: 82-89
- Does point-of-purchase nutrition labeling influence meal selections? A test inan Army cafeteria.Mil Med. 2003; 168: 556-560
- A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 527-533
- Traffic-light labels and choice architecture: promoting healthy food choices.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 143-149
- The influence of nutrition label placement on awareness and use among college students in a dining hall setting.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1395-1405
- Influence of placement of a nutrition logo on cafeteria menu items on lunchtime food choices at Dutch work sites.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 131-136
- Monetary value of diet is associated with dietary quality and nutrient adequacy among urban adults, differentially by sex, race and poverty status.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0140905
- Health literacy is associated with healthy eating index scores and sugar-sweetened beverage intake: findings from the rural Lower Mississippi Delta.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1012-1020
- Relation of food cost to healthfulness of diet among US women.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 92: 1197-1203
- Nutrition economics: How to eat better for less.J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2015; 61: S69-S71
- Relation between diet cost and Healthy Eating Index 2010 scores among adults in the United States 2007-2010.Prev Med. 2015; 73: 70-75
- Suboptimal nutritional characteristics in male and female soldiers compared to sports nutrition guidelines.Mil Med. 2015; 180: 1239-1246
- Assessment of dietary intake using the healthy eating index during military training.US Army Med Dep J. 2013; Oct-Dec: 91-97
- Relation between dietary pattern analysis (principal component analysis) and body mass index: a 5-year follow-up study in a Belgian military population.J R Army Med Corps. 2016; 162: 23-29
- Relation between sugar-sweetened beverage consumption, nutrition, and lifestyle ina military population.Mil Med. 2016; 181: 1335-1339
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.