Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, 2008. Washington, DC: US Department ofHealth and Human Services. 2008;2008:H14.
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2008
- CDC national health report: leading causes of morbidity and mortality and associated behavioral risk and protective factors—United States, 2005–2013.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014; 63: 3-27
- Leisure time and occupational physical activity among racial or ethnic minorities.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 1086-1093
- Patterns and correlates of physical activity among US women 40years and older.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 264-270
- Sedentary and physically active behavior patterns among low-income african-american and white adults living in the southeastern United States.PloS One. 2013; 8: e59975
- Differences in leisure‐time, household, and work‐related physical activity by race, ethnicity, and education.J Gen Inter Med. 2005; 20: 259-266
Chipman H, Blake S. The expanded food and nutrition education program policies. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 2017. https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/program/EFNEP-Policy-December-2017-Update.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2018.
- Peer reviewed: reach of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program–Education (SNAP–Ed) interventions and nutrition and physical activity-related outcomes, California, 2011–2012.Prev Chronic Dis. 2015; 12: E33
- Cent$ible nutrition program.University of Wyoming, Cooperative Extension Service, Family and Consumer Sciences, 2007 (http://dfsweb.wyo.gov/economic-assistance/cent-ible-nutrition. Accessed August 8, 2018)
Baker S, McGirr K. Eating Smart • Being Active. 2012. http://eatingsmartbeingactive.colostate.edu/. Accessed August 8, 2018.
- Methodology for developing a new EFNEP food and physical activity behaviors questionnaire.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 777-783
Tourangeau R. Cognitive sciences and survey methods. In: National Research Council. Cognitive Aspects of Survey Methodology: Building a Bridge Between Disciplines. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 1984:73-100.
- Physical activity questionnaire comprehension: lessons from cognitive interviews.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2009; 41: 336-343
- What do IPAQ questions mean to older adults? Lessons from cognitive interviews.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 35
- How well do physical activity questions perform? A European cognitive testing study.Arch Public Health. 2015; 73: 57
Khan T. Development and Testing the Validity and Reliability of Items and Scales to Assess Physical Activity Behavior of Adults in the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program [dissertation]. Clemson, SC: Clemson University; 2013.
- Issues in the assessment of physical activity in women.Res Q Exerc Sport. 2000; 71: 37-42
- Observations from the CDC: evaluation of a two-part survey item to assess moderate physical activity: the cross-cultural activity participation study.J Womens Health. 2003; 12: 203-212
- Moderate physical activity patterns of minority women: the cross-cultural activity participation study.J Womens Health Gend Based. 1999; 8: 805-813
- 2011 compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1575-1581
- Measuring physical activity in midlife, older, and minority women: issues from an expert panel.J Womens Health. 1998; 7: 57-67
- A new readability yardstick.J Appl Psychol. 1948; 32: 221-233
- A systematic review of reliability and objective criterion-related validity of physical activity questionnaires.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 103
- Readability of patient education materials: implications for clinical practice.Appl Nurs Res. 1996; 9: 139-143
- Analysis of the Cognitive Interview in Questionnaire Design.Oxford University Press, New York2015
Collins D. Cognitive Interviewing Practice. London: SAGE Publication Ltd; 2014.
- Practical qualitative research strategies: training interviewers and coders.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 578-585
Symon G, Cassell C. Template analysis.In: Qualitative Methods and Analysis in Organizational Research: A Practical Guide. London; SAGE Publications Ltd; 1998:118-134.
- Naturalistic Inquiry.Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing, Inc., 1985
- Grounded theory and the constant comparative method: valid research strategies for educators.J Emerg Trends Educ Res Policy Stud. 2012; 3: 83
US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture. EFNEP 2015 national data reports detailed. https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource/2015%20National%20Data%20Reports%20%28detailed%29%20v2.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2018.
- How do older adults respond to active australia physical activity questions? Lessons from cognitive interviews.J Aging Phys Act. 2014; 22: 74-86
- Validity of the international physical activity questionnaire short form (IPAQ-SF): a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 115
US Department of Agriculture. ChooseMyPlate. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Accessed August 8, 2018.
- Domain-specific physical activity and self-report bias among low-income Latinas living in San Diego County.J Phys Act Health. 2011; 8: 881-890
Davis GA. Using a retrospective pre-post questionnaire to determine program impact. 2002. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED473807.pdf. Accessed March 5, 2018.
- Post-then-pre evaluation: measuring behavior change more accurately.J Extension. 1989; 27: 19-21
- Assessing program outcomes: rationale and benefits of posttest-then-retrospective-pretest designs.J Youth Dev. 2007; 2: 118-123
- Evidence to support the use of the retrospective pretest method to measure dietary behavior and self-efficacy in adolescents.J Youth Dev. 2008; 3130-140
- Adult literacy in America: National Center for Education Statistics.Washington, DC: US Department of Education, 2002 (https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2001/2001534.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2018)
- Improving the quality of data from EFNEP participants with low literacy skills: a participant-driven model.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 309-314
- Improving Adult Literacy Instruction: Options for Practice and Research.Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2012
- Students’ motivational beliefs and their cognitive engagement in classroom academic tasks.Stud Percept Class. 1992; 7: 149-183
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.