Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The high cost of not consuming fruits and vegetables.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 1364-1368
- Applying the socio-ecological model to improving fruit and vegetable intake among low-income African Americans.J Community Health. 2008; 33: 395-406
- Increasing access to fruits and vegetables: perspectives from the New York City experience.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e29-e37
- A qualitative study of perceived barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income populations, North Carolina, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E34
- Barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption among farmers’ market incentive programme users in Illinois, USA.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 1345-1349
- Food security status and barriers to fruit and vegetable consumption in two economically deprived communities of Oakland, California, 2013–2014.Prev Chronic Dis. 2016; 13: E21
US Department of Agriculture. Food Security in the US: measurement. October 2017. http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/measurement.aspx. Accessed April 25, 2018.
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 253-272
- Use of farmers markets by mothers of WIC recipients, Miami-Dade County, Florida, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E95
- Monetary matched incentives to encourage the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markets in underserved communities.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E188
- Improving fruit and vegetable consumption among low-income customers at farmers markets: Philly Food Bucks, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E166
- Increasing use of a healthy food incentive: a waiting room intervention among low-income patients.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 154-162
- Effect of a targeted subsidy on intake of fruits and vegetables among low-income women in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 98-105
- Food security status and produce intake and behaviors of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children and Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program participants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1903-1908
- Reducing food insecurity and improving fruit and vegetable intake among farmers’ market incentive program participants.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 70-76
Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang A.-G., Buchner A. G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods. 2007;39:175-191.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Questionnaire. Atlanta, GA: US Department of Health and Human Cervices, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2013. https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionnaires/pdf-ques/2013-BRFSS_English.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2018.
Economic Research Service, US Department of Agriculture. US Household food security survey: six-item short form.https://www.ers.usda.gov/media/8282/short2012.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2018.
- Guide to Measuring Household Food Security.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Alexandria, VA2000 (Revised March 2000)
- The effectiveness of a short form of the Household Food Security Scale.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1231-1234
- Brief, validated survey instruments for the measurement of fruit and vegetable intakes in adults: a review.Prev Med. 2003; 36: 440-447
- Reliability and validity of measures from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS).Soz Praventivmed. 2001; 46: S3-S42
- Enhancing food security of low-income consumers: An investigation of financial incentives for use at farmers markets.Food Policy. 2015; 52: 64-70
- Impacts of a farmers’ market incentive programme on fruit and vegetable access, purchase and consumption.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 2712-2721
- Fruit and vegetable intake among participants in a District of Columbia farmers’ market incentive programme.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 601-606
- Exploring the use of Seattle's farmers’ market incentive program (“Fresh Bucks”) by household food security levels.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2017; 12: 362-374
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2016.United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2017
- Measuring the Effect of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Participation on Food Security.Mathematica Policy Research, Washington, DC2013
- Effect of fruit and vegetable intake on skin carotenoid detected by non-invasive Raman spectroscopy.J Med Assoc Thai. 2006; 89: 1206-1212
- Skin carotenoid response to a high-carotenoid juice in children: a randomized clinical trial.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1771-1778
- A novel combined biomarker including plasma carotenoids, vitamin C, andferric reducing antioxidant power is more strongly associated with fruit and vegetable intake than the individual components.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 1866-1872
- Understanding the experiences of low-income individuals receiving farmers’ market incentives in the United States: a qualitative study.Health Promot Pract. 2017; 18: 869-878
Food and Nutrition Service, US Department of Agriculture. SNAP and farmers markets. https://www.fns.usda.gov/ebt/snap-and-farmers-markets. Accessed July 10, 2018.
- Evaluation of the Healthy Incentives Pilot (HIP): Final Report.Cambridge, MA: Abt Associates, 2014
Food and Nutrition Service, US Department of Agriculture. FINI Grant Program. https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/FINI-Grant-Program. Accessed July 10, 2018.
Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentive (FINI) Grant Program, National Institute of Food and Agriculture. https://nifa.usda.gov/program/food-insecurity-nutrition-incentive-fini-grant-program. Accessed July 10, 2018.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.