Investigate the relationships between food security status and cooking self-efficacy and food preparation behaviors among college students.
Students living off campus while attending the University of Alabama completed an online survey between February and April 2016. Food security status was assessed using the Adult Food Security Survey Module. Cooking self-efficacy and food preparation behaviors were assessed using validated questionnaires. Multiple regression analysis was used to test for significant differences in cooking self-efficacy and food preparation scores by food security status.
Among respondents (n = 368), 38.3% were food insecure. Very low food secure students had significantly lower cooking self-efficacy scores and food preparation scores than food secure students (P = .001).
Conclusions and Implications
Preparing meals at home is less common for very low food secure students, and these students demonstrate less confidence in cooking ability. Further study of food-related decisions and trade-offs under resource constraints are needed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Core indicators of nutritional status for difficult-to-sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1559-1600
- The struggle is real: a systematic review of food insecurity on postsecondary education campuses.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1767-1791
- Food insecurity: is it an issue among tertiary students?.High Educ. 2014; 67: 497-510
- Student food insecurity: the skeleton in the university closet.Nutr Diet. 2011; 68: 27-32
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among students attending a midsize rural university in Oregon.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 209-214
- Food insecurity, self-rated health, and obesity among college students.Am J Health Educ. 2017; 48: 248-255
- The prevalence of food security and insecurity among Illinois university students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 376-382
- Food insecurity among community college students: prevalence and association with grade point average.Comm Coll J Res Pract. 2015; 39: 516-526
- The relationship between food security, housing stability, and school performance among college students in an urban university.J Coll Stud Retent. 2017; 19: 284-299
- Examining the role of financial factors, resources and skills in predicting food security status among college students.Int J Consum Stud. 2014; 38: 374-384
- Good Grubbin’: impact of TV cooking show for college student living off campus.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 194-200
- Food preparation by young adults is associated with better diet quality.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 2001-2007
- Balancing healthy meals and busy lives: associations between work, school and family responsibilities and perceived time constraints among young adults.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 481-489
- Culinray efficacy: an exploratory study of skills, confidence, and healthy cooking competencies among university students.Perspect Public Health. 2016; 136: 143-151
- Food insecurity prevalence among college students at Hawai'I at Manoa.Public Health Nutr. 2009; 12: 2097-2103
- Food insecurity among university students in Victoria: a pilot study.Nutr Diet. 2014; 71: 258-264
- Self-efficacy.in: Ramachaudran VS Encyclopedia of Human Behavior. Academic Press, New York, NY1994: 71-81
- Division of Student Life, The University of Alabama. Fraternity and sorority life.https://ofsl.sa.ua.edu/(Accessed June 22)Date: 2018
- A Step-By-Step Approach to Using SAS for Univariate and Multivariate Statistics.2nd ed. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC2005
- Measuring food insecurity and hunger in the United States: development of a national benchmark measure and prevalence estimates.J Nutr. 1999; 129: 510S-516S
- Guide to Measuring Household Food Security.(Revised 2000) US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Alexandria, VA2000
- Definitions of food security.https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/definitions-of-food-security.aspx(Accessed June 22)Date: 2018
- Food insecurity among students at the University of the Free State, South Africa.S Afr J Clin Nutr. 2015; 28: 160-169
- Factors related to the high rates of food insecurity among diverse, urban college freshmen.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 1450-1457
- A high prevalence of food insecurity among university student in Appalachia reflects a need for educational interventions and policy advocacy.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018; 50: 564-572
Published online: December 08, 2018
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.
© 2018 Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.