Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814
- Causes and consequences of childhood obesity.Accessed April 6, 2018)
- Parents as health promoters: a Theory of Planned Behavior perspective on the prevention of childhood obesity.J Health Commun. 2010; 15: 95-107
- Challenges, alternatives, and educational strategies in reaching limited income audiences.J Ext. 2009; 47: 6RIB2
- Recruitment of minority and underserved populations in the United States: the Centers for Population Health and Health Disparities experience.Contemp Clin Trials. 2008; 29: 847-861
- Enrollment and attendance in a parent training prevention program for conduct problems.Prev Sci. 2011; 12: 126-138
- Parent perspectives on attrition from tertiary care pediatric weight management programs.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2013; 52: 513-519
- Management issues related to effectively implementing a nutrition education program using peer educators.J Nutr Educ. 2001; 33: 284-292
World Health Organization. eHealth at WHO. http://www.who.int/ehealth/about/en/. Accessed April 6, 2018.
- Parent-focused childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity eHealth interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2016; 18: e203
File T, Ryan C. Computer and Internet use in the United States: 2013. US Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/2013computeruse.pdf. Accessed November 30, 2018.
- Jump2Health website for Head Start parents to promote a healthy home environment: results from formative research.J Public Health Res. 2017; 6: 1054
- Qualitative evaluation of the Jump2Health website for parents of preschool children shows behavior changes.Int Q Community Health Educ. 2016; 37: 43-50
- Characteristics associated with older adolescents who have a television in their bedrooms.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 718-724
- The nutrition needs of low-income families regarding living healthier lifestyles: findings from a qualitative study.J Child Health Care. 2013; 17: 53-61
- Is frequency of shared family meals related to the nutritional health of children and adolescents?.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1565-e1574
- Childhood sleep time and long-term risk for obesity: a 32-year prospective birth cohort study.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: 955-960
- Sleep duration and adolescent obesity.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1428-e1434
- Recommendations for treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: S254-S288
- Overweight among low-income preschool children associated with the consumption of sweet drinks: Missouri, 1999-2002.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e223-e229
- Guiding family-based obesity prevention efforts in low-income children in the United States. Part I: what determinants do we target?.Int J Child Adolesc Health. 2009; 2: 19-30
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Early Childhood Obesity Prevention Policies. http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2011/Early-Childhood-Obesity-Prevention-Policies.aspx. Accessed August 6, 2018.
- Availability, accessibility, and preferences for fruit, 100% fruit juice, and vegetables influence children's dietary behavior.Health Educ Behav. 2003; 30: 615-626
Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program. Usual dietary intakes: food intakes, U.S. population, 2007-10. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2018.
- Association of picky eating and food neophobia with weight: a systematic review.Child Obes. 2016; 12: 247-262
- Feel your food: the influence of tactile sensitivity on picky eating in children.Appetite. 2015; 84: 7-10
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
Facebook. What metrics are available on Page posts? https://www.facebook.com/help/131809553587433?helpref=popular_topics. Accessed August 6, 2018.
Southern M. Facebook to begin measuring post reach based on actual views. https://www.searchenginejournal.com/facebook-begin-measuring-post-reach-based-actual-views/236587/. Accessed August 6, 2018.
Leander M. What is a good Facebook engagement rate? See numbers here. http://www.michaelleander.me/blog/facebook-engagement-rate-benchmark/. Accessed August 6, 2018.
- Innovative techniques for evaluating behavioral nutrition interventions.Adv Nutr. 2017; 8: 113-125
- Skin carotenoids as biomarker for vegetable and fruit intake: validation of the reflection-spectroscopy based “Veggie Meter.”.FASEB J. 2016; 30: 409.3
- A non-invasive assessment of skin carotenoid status through reflection spectroscopy is a feasible, reliable and potentially valid measure of fruit and vegetable consumption in a diverse community sample.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 1664-1670
- Optical assessment of skin carotenoid status as a biomarker of vegetable and fruit intake.Arch Biochem Biophys. 2018; 646: 46-54
- Dermal carotenoid measurements via pressure mediated reflection spectroscopy.J Biophotonics. 2012; 5: 559-570
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) Anthropometry Procedures Manual. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2007.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. BMI percentile calculator for child and teen. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/tool_for_schools.html. Accessed November 30, 2018.
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and Carotenoids.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2000
- Vegetable behavioral tool demonstrates validity with MyPlate vegetable cups and carotenoid and inflammatory biomarkers.Appetite. 2016; 107: 628-638
- The role and interpretation of pilot studies in clinical research.J Psychiatr Res. 2011; 45: 626-629
- Patterns in children's fruit and vegetable consumption by meal and day of the week.J Am Coll Nutr. 1997; 16: 216-223
National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute. Dietary assessment primer: Learn more about day-of-week effect. https://dietassessmentprimer.cancer.gov/learn/day.html. Accessed April 6, 2018.
- Home food environment factors associated with the presence of fruit and vegetables at dinner: a direct observational study.Appetite. 2016; 96: 526-532
- Interventions for increasing fruit and vegetable consumption in children aged five years and under.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 1CD008552
- Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among children and adolescents: a review of the literature. Part II: qualitative studies.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 112
- Interventions for increasing fruit and vegetable consumption in children aged 5 years and under.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 11CD008552
- Challenges of accurately measuring and using BMI and other indicators of obesity in children.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: s3-s22
- Child factor in measurement dependability.Am J Hum Biol. 2001; 13: 548-557
- Day-to-day variation in body weights of children.Ann Hum Biol. 1976; 3: 75-76
- Using Facebook in a healthy lifestyle intervention: feasibility and preliminary efficacy.West J Nurs Res. 2018; 40: 1818-1842
- Revising an Extension education website for limited resource audiences using social marketing theory.J Ext. 2011; 49: 1-13
- Facebook: the use of social media to engage parents in a preschool obesity prevention curriculum.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018; 50 (e1): 4-10
- Are health behavior change interventions that use online social networks effective? A systematic review.J Med Internet Res. 2014; 16: e40
- Developing and evaluating digital interventions to promote behavior change in health and health care: recommendations resulting from an international workshop.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19: e232
- Feasibility of bidirectional text messages in evaluating a text-based nutrition education program for low-income parents: results from the Text2BHealthy program.Eval Program Plann. 2017; 64: 90-94
- Development and implementation of an interactive text messaging campaign to support behavior change in a childhood obesity randomized controlled trial.J Health Commun. 2015; 20: 843-850
- Content relevance and delivery time of SMS advertising.Int J Mob Commun. 2011; 9: 19-38
- The forgotten parent: fathers’ representation in family interventions to prevent childhood obesity.Prev Med. 2018; 111: 170-176
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.