Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Vital signs: fruit and vegetable intake among children—United States, 2003-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 671-676
- Fruit and vegetable consumption of U.S. Youth, 2009-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2014; 156: 1-8
- 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines forAmericans.2018Accessed August 7, 2018)
- Changes in weight, physical activity, sedentary behaviour and dietary intake during the transition to higher education: a prospective study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 16
- Influence of parenting practices on eating behaviors of early adolescents during independent eating occasions: implications for obesity prevention.Nutrients. 2015; 7: 8783-8801
- Understanding eating behavior during the transition from adolescence to young adulthood: a literature review and perspective on future research directions.Nutrients. 2018; 10: E667
- Is frequency of shared family meals related to the nutritional health of children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e1565-e1574
- Frequency of eating alone among adolescents is associated with parent support, dietary intake and BMI: cross-sectional FLASHE Study results.Public Health Nutr. 2019; 22: 1555-1566
- Effects of eating dinner alone on overweight in Japanese adolescents: a cross-sectional survey.BMC Pediatr. 2018; 18: 36
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice Hall, Edgewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- Adolescent obesity in contextual settings: a scoping study of multilevel and hierarchical examinations.Clin Obes. 2016; 6: 296-304
- Food-related parenting practices and child and adolescent weight and weight-related behaviors.Clin Pract (Lond). 2014; 11: 207-220
- Individual, behavioural and home environmental factors associated with eating behaviours in young adolescents.Appetite. 2017; 112: 35-43
- How food rules at home influence independent adolescent food choices.J Adolesc Health. 2018; 63: 219-226
- Learning to overeat: maternal use of restrictive feeding practices promotes girls’ eating in the absence of hunger.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 78: 215-220
- Home food environment in relation to children's diet quality and weight status.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 1569-1579.e1
- Congruence of parents’ and children's perceptions of parenting: a meta-analysis.J Youth Adolesc. 2016; 45: 1973-1995
- Behavioral control, and delinquency, and depression.J Fam Issues. 2006; 27: 1335-1355
- How many interviews are enough?.Field Methods. 2005; 18: 59-82
Department of Health and Human Services. 2016 Annual Update of the HHS Poverty Guidelines. Fed Regist. 2016:81:4036–4037.
- Anthropometric standardization reference manual.Med Sci Sport Exerc. 1992; 24: 952
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute. Pediatric Z-Score Calculator. https://zscore.research.chop.edu/. Accessed April 15, 2019.
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- Interrater reliability: the kappa statistic.Biochem Med. 2012; 22: 276-282
- Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences.4th ed. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon, 2001
- Qualitative content analysis: a guide to paths not taken.Qual Health Res. 1993; 3: 112-121
- How to plan and perform a qualitative study using content analysis.NursingPlus Open. 2016; 2: 8-14
- Food availability, modeling and restriction: how are these different aspects of the family eating environment related to adolescent dietary intake.Appetite. 2016; 96: 80-86
- Food parenting and child snacking: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017; 14: 146
- Parenting around child snacking: development of a theoretically-guided, empirically informed conceptual model.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 109
- Associations between predictors of children's dietary intake and socioeconomic position: a systematic review of the literature.Obes Rev. 2014; 15: 375-391
- Parents’ barriers and strategies to promote healthy eating among school-age children.Appetite. 2016; 103: 157-164
- Genetic and environmental influences on food preferences in adolescence.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 104: 446-453
- Eat to live or live to eat? Do parents and children agree?.Public Health Nutr. 2001; 4: 141-146
- Understanding and improving the validity of self-report of parenting.Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2006; 9: 1-21
Roth-Yousey L, Chu YL, Reicks M. A qualitative study to explore how parental expectations and rules influence beverage choices in early adolescence. J Nutr Educ Behav. 44:644–652.
- Eat this, not that! Parental demographic correlates of food-related parenting practices.Appetite. 2013; 60: 140-147
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- CorrigendumJournal of Nutrition Education and BehaviorVol. 52Issue 2
- PreviewThe September 2019 issue of the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior carried a Research Brief titled “Food Parenting Practices That Influence Early Adolescents’ Food Choices During Independent Eating Occasions” (J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019;51(8):993-1002; https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jneb.2019.05.597 ). In Table 3, the “Food Parenting Practice” main theme “Teach” has 15 (not 5) supporting quotations. The authors regret this error.