Main Outcome Measure(s)
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Baum S, Ma J, Payea K. Trends in public higher education: enrollment, prices, student aid, revenues, and expenditures. New York, NY: College Board Advocacy & Policy Center; 2012.https://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/trends-2012-public-higher-education-expenditures-brief.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2019.
Bureau of Labor and Statistics. College tuition and fees increases 63 percent since January 2006. 2016.https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/college-tuition-and-fees-increase-63-percent-since-january-2006.htm. Accessed March 1, 2019.
- Fixing the Broken Textbook Market: How Students Respond to High Textbook Costs and Demand Alternatives.US Public Interest Research Group, Washington, DC2014Accessed March 3, 2019)
- Why openness in education?.in: Oblinger DG Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies. Educase, Washington, DC2012
- Online and campus college students like using an open educational resource instead of a traditional textbook.J Online Learn Teach. 2013; 9: 26-37
- Open textbooks and increased student access and outcomes.Eur J Open Distance E-Learn. 2012; 2: 1-9
- A multi-institutional study of the impact of open textbook adoption on the learning outcomes of post-secondary students.J Comput High Educ. 2015; 27: 159-172
- The design, implementation, and evaluation of online credit nutrition courses: a systematic review.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2011; 43: 76-86
- A distance education in undergraduate dietetic education.J Allied Health. 2005; 34: 36-39
Open Education Group. The COUP framework. http://openedgroup.org/coup. Accessed March 3, 2019.
- Interaction matters: strategies to promote engaged learning in an online introductory nutrition course.J Online Learn Teach. 2015; 11: 249-261
Trowler V, Trowler P. Student engagement evidence summary. York, UK: The Higher Education Academy; 2010.https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/61680/1/Deliverable_2._Evidence_Summary._Nov_2010.pdf. Accessed August 8, 2019.
- Place-based education: learning to be where we are.Phi Delta Kappan. 2002; 83: 584-594
- An OER COUP: college teacher and student perceptions of open educational resources.J Interact Media Educ. 2013; 1: 4
- Maintaining momentum toward graduation: OER and the course throughput rate.Int Rev Res Open Distrib Learn. 2016; 17: 18-27
- Qualitative research in nutrition and dietetics: data analysis issues.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2011; 24: 106-114
- Interrater reliability: the kappa statistic.Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2012; 22: 276-282
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the open-access ChemWiki resource as a replacement for traditional general chemistry textbooks.Chem Educ Res Pract. 2015; 16: 939-948
- Open educational resources and college textbook choices: a review of research on efficacy and perceptions.Educ Technol Res Dev. 2016; 64: 573-590
- University students and faculty have positive perceptions of open/alternative resources and their utilization in a textbook replacement initiative.Res Learn Technol. 2016; 24: 29920
- Students’ use and perceptions of the relevance and quality of open textbooks compared to traditional textbooks in online and traditional classroom environments.Psychol Learn Teach. 2018; 18: 65-83
- What impacts do OER have on students? Students share their experiences with a health psychology OER at New York City College of Technology.Int Rev Res Open Distrib Learn. 2017; 18: 3111
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- CorrigendumJournal of Nutrition Education and BehaviorVol. 52Issue 6
- PreviewThe April 2020 issue of the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior carried a Research Article titled “Open Educational Resource Textbook Impact on Students in an Introductory Nutrition Course (J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020;52(4):359-368; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2019.08.006 ). The third author's surname was misspelled and should be “Tillinghast.” The authors regret this error.