Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th ed. Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture; 2015.https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed August 19, 2019.
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, US Department of Agriculture. Average Healthy Eating Index-2015 scores for Americans by age group.https://www.fns.usda.gov/hei-scores-americans. Accessed February 20, 2019.
- The state of US Health, 1990–2016: burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors among US states.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1444-1472
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). GBD Compare. United States. Both Sexes, All Ages, Percent of Total DALYs, 1990, 2017. Seattle, WA: IHME, University of Washington; 2017.http://vizhub.healthdata.org/gbd-compare. Accessed February 20, 2019.
- Understanding sustainable diets: a descriptive analysis of the determinants and processes that influence diets and their impact on health, food security, and environmental sustainability.Adv Nutr. 2014; 5: 418-429
- Disparities in state-specific adult fruit and vegetable consumption — United States, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 1241-1247
- From nutrients to nurturance: a conceptual introduction to food well-being.J Public Policy Mark. 2011; 30: 5-13
- A crisis in the marketplace: how food marketing contributes to childhood obesity and what can be done.Annu Rev Public Health. 2009; 30: 211-225
- A Review of Food Marketing to Children and Adolescents: Follow-Up Report.Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC2012
- Does food marketing need to make us fat? A review and solutions.Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: 571-593
- Branding perspectives on social marketing.ACR North Am Adv. 1998; 25: 299-302
- An under-utilised ‘P’ in social marketing for healthy eating.Appetite. 2016; 104: 60-69
- Applying industry practices to promote healthy foods: an exploration of positive marketing outcomes.J Bus Res. 2015; 68: 2484-2493
- Systematic review of health branding: growth of a promising practice.Transl Behav Med. 2014; 5: 24-36
- Promoting consumption of fruit and vegetables for better health. Have campaigns delivered on the goals?.Appetite. 2014; 79: 113-123
- Health communication campaigns and their impact on behavior.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: S32-S40
- Assembling evidence and informing decisions.in: Kumanyika SK Parker L Sim LJ Bridging the Evidence Gap in Obesity Prevention: A Framework to Inform Decision Making. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010: 133-155
- The LEAD framework: using tools from evidence-based public health to address evidence needs for obesity prevention.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E125
- Evaluative criteria for qualitative research in health care: controversies and recommendations.Ann Fam Med. 2008; 6: 331-339
- Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework.Int J Soc Res Methodol. 2005; 8: 19-32
- Grey literature: an important resource in systematic reviews.J Evid Based Med. 2017; 10: 233-240
- Checklists for improving rigour in qualitative research: a case of the tail wagging the dog?.BMJ. 2001; 322: 1115
- Research Methods in Health: Investigating Health and Health Services.McGraw-Hill Education, Berkshire, England2014
- Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic Analysis and Code Development.Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998
- Development of the behaviorally focused Fruits & Veggies—More Matters public health initiative.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1570-1577
Schultz EJ. ‘Got Milk’ dropped as national milk industry changes tactics. Ad Age. February 24, 2014.http://adage.com/article/news/milk-dropped-national-milk-industry-tactics/291819/. Accessed August 12, 2019.
- Food Literacy: How Do Communications and Marketing Impact Consumer Knowledge, Skills, and Behavior? Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2016
Harris Interactive. “Got milk?” From memorable to motivational.https://www.academia.edu/22543033/_got_milk_From_Memorable_to_Motivational_How_research_helped_re-focus_one_of_Americas_most_visible_advertising_campaigns. Accessed August 12, 2019.
- Segmenting customer brand preference: demographic or psychographic.J Prod Brand Manag. 2002; 11: 249-268
- The cost-effectiveness of 1% or less media campaigns promoting low-fat milk consumption.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005; 2: A05
The Nielsen Company. The drink up campaign is improving America's health, one water bottle at a time; 2015.http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/the-drink-up-campaign-is-improving-america-s-health-one-water-bottle-at-a-time.html. Accessed August 14, 2019.
- Collective social entrepreneurship: collaboratively shaping social good.Bus Ethics. 2012; 111: 375-388
- Guiding principles and a decision-making framework for stakeholders pursuing healthy food environments.Health Aff. 2015; 34: 1972-1978
- CVD prevention through policy: a review of mass media, food/menu labeling, taxation/subsidies, built environment, school procurement, worksite wellness, and marketing standards to improve diet.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2015; 17: 98
- Use of mass media campaigns to change health behaviour.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1261-1271
- Cost-effectiveness analysis for health communication programs.J Health Commun. 2006; 11: 47-67
- A meta-analysis of the effect of mediated health communication campaigns on behavior change in the United States.J Health Commun. 2004; 9: 71-96
Produce for Better Health Foundation. 2018 Annual Report. https://fruitsandveggies.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2018-PBH-Annual-Report-FINAL.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2019.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.