Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The public health and welfare.U.S. Code § 12102. Definition of disability, 2008https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12102Date accessed: August 12, 2019
- The Population 65 Years and Older in the United States: 2016. American Community Survey Reports.US Census Bureau, Suitland, MD2018https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2018/acs/ACS-38.pdfDate accessed: May 23, 2019
- The State of Aging and Health in America 2013.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2013https://www.cdc.gov/aging/pdf/state-aging-health-in-america-2013.pdfDate accessed: May 23, 2019
National Council on Aging. Healthy aging facts. https://www.ncoa.org/news/resources-for-reporters/get-the-facts/healthy-aging-facts/. Accessed May 31, 2019.
- Low dietary protein intakes and associated dietary patterns and functional limitations in an aging population: a NHANES analysis.J Nutr Health Aging. 2019; 23: 338-347
- Nutritional determinants of frailty in older adults: a systematic review.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 108
- Health effects of dietary risks in 195 countries, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.Lancet. 2019; 393: 1958-1972
- Nutrition and prevention of cognitive impairment.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 1006-1015
- High prevalence of physical frailty among community-dwelling malnourished older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18: 374-382
- Global improvement in dietary quality could lead to substantial reduction in premature death.J Nutr. 2019; 149: 1065-1074
- Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of red meat consumption in comparison with various comparison diets on cardiovascular risk factors.Circulation. 2019; 139: 1828-1845
- Frailty and nutrition: from epidemiological and clinical evidence to potential mechanisms.Metabolism. 2017; 68: 64-76
- Prevalence and predictors of vitamin D-deficiency in frail older hospitalized patients.BMC Geriatr. 2018; 18: 219
- Nutritional risk and body mass index predict hospitalization, nursing home admissions, and mortality in community-dwelling older adults: results from the UAB Study of Aging with 8.5 years of follow-up.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2014; 69: 1146-1153
- Nutritional risk, hospitalization and mortality among community-dwelling Canadians aged 65 or older.Health Rep. 2017; 28: 17-27
- An overview of appetite decline in older people.Nurs Older People. 2015; 27: 29-35
- On your own: older adults’ food choice and dietary habits.Nutrients. 2018; 10: E413
Cooking Matters. Volunteer. 2019. http://cookingmatters.org/node/2215. Accessed May 28, 2019.
- Teaching kitchen collaborative research day February 7, 2018.J Altern Complement Med. 2018; 24: 615-618
- Identification of behavior change techniques applied in interventions to improve cooking skills and food skills among adults.Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017; : 1-14
- Impact of cooking and home food preparation interventions among adults: outcomes and implications for future programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 259-276
- Healthy teaching kitchens adoption and outcomes across veteran affairs 2017–2018.Veteran Aff: Veteran Health Aff. 2019;
- Cooking education improves cooking confidence and dietary habits in veterans.Diabetes Educ. 2019; 45: 442-449
- Cooking matters for adults improves food resource management skills and self-confidence among low-income participants.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 545-553
- Age-Friendly Health Systems: Guide to Using the 4Ms in the Care of Older Adults.Institute forHealthcare Improvement, New York2019http://www.ihi.org/Engage/Initiatives/Age-Friendly-Health-Systems/Documents/IHIAgeFriendlyHealthSystems_GuidetoUsing4MsCare.pdfDate accessed: May 15, 2019
- The geriatric 5M's: a new way of communicating what we do.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 2115
- How focusing on what matters simplifies complex care for older adults.Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Boston, MA2019http://www.ihi.org/communities/blogs/how-focusing-on-what-matters-simplifies-complex-care-for-older-adultDate accessed: May 29, 2019
US Department of Veteran Affairs, Nutrition and Food Services. Healthy Teaching Kitchen. 2013. https://www.nutrition.va.gov/Healthy_Teaching_Kitchen.asp. Accessed May 15, 2019.
- Best practices in the Veterans Health Administration's MOVE! weight management program.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 457-464
- Tailoring nutrition education intervention programs to meet needs and interests of older adults.J Nutr Elder. 2003; 23: 59-79
- Evaluation of nutrition education interventions for older adults: a proposed framework.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 58-69
- Health literacy studies.2010https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/overviewDate accessed: May 23, 2018
2012–2016 American Community Survey 5-year estimates. US Census Bureau Web site. https://www.census.gov/acs/www/data/data-tables-and-tools/data-profiles/2016/. Updated June 17, 2018. Accessed May 20, 2019.
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Health Literacy Online. 2016. https://health.gov/healthliteracyonline/full/. Accessed October 27, 2019.
- Interventions targeting social isolation in older people: a systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 647
- Food perception with age and its relationship to pleasantness.Chem Senses. 2007; 32: 591-602
- Effects of ageing on smell and taste.Postgrad Med J. 2006; 82: 239-241
- Prevalence of olfactory impairment in older adults.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2307-2312
- Taste and smell losses in normal aging and disease.JAMA. 1997; 278: 1357-1362
- Dental caries and periodontal diseases in the ageing population: call to action to protect and enhance oral health and well-being as an essential component of healthy ageing - consensus report of group 4 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundariesbetween caries and periodontal diseases.J Clin Periodontol. 2017; 44: S135-S144
- Dental caries and tooth loss in adults in the United States, 2011–2012.NCHS Data Brief. 2015; 197: 197
- Update onprevalence of periodontitis in adults in the United States: NHANES 2009 to 2012.J Periodontol. 2015; 86: 611-622
- Olfactory impairment in older adults is associated with poorer diet quality over 5 years.Eur J Nutr. 2016; 55: 1081-1087
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230
- Clinical consequences of polypharmacy in elderly.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2014; 13: 57-65
- Nutrition and weight.in: Harper GM Lyons WL Potter JF Geriatrics Review Syllabus: A Core Curriculum in Geriatric Medicine. 10th ed. American Geriatrics Society, New York, NY2019
- Association between supplemental nutrition assistance program participation and cost-related medication nonadherence among older adults with diabetes.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 63-70
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ten leading causes of death and injury. https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/LeadingCauses.html. Accessed December 9, 2019.
- Age-associated declines in muscle mass, strength, power, and physical performance: impact on fear of falling and quality of life.Osteoporos Int. 2016; 27: 463-471
- Relationship of sarcopenia and body composition with osteoporosis.Osteoporos Int. 2016; 27: 473-482
- Minority elders: nutrition anddietary interventions.in: Whitfield KE Baker TA Abdou CM Handbook of Minority Aging. Springer, New York, NY2014
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.