Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The introduction of a supermarket via tax-credits in a low-income area: the influence on purchasing and consumption.Am J Health Promot. 2017; 31: 59-66
- Evaluation of the Healthy Incentives Pilot (HIP): Final Report.in: Alexandria, VA: Food and Nutrition Service. 2014https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/ops/HIP-Final_Findings.pdfDate accessed: May 31, 2019
- Double Up Food Bucks participation is associated with increased fruit and vegetable consumption and food security among low-income adults.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019; 51: 342-347
- Financial incentives increase fruit and vegetable intake among Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participants: a randomized controlled trial of the USDA Healthy Incentives Pilot.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 104: 423-435
Shahin J.Healthful foods could be just a click away: FNS works to bring online shopping to SNAP purchases.https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2016/08/02/healthful-foods-could-be-just-click-away-fns-works-bring-online-shopping-snap. Accessed July 15, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed).https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-education-snap-ed. Accessed August 1, 2018.
- Rewarding healthy food choices in SNAP: behavioral economic applications.Milbank Q. 2013; 91: 395-412
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) overview. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/. Accessed May 17, 2019.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. SNAP eligibility.https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/recipient/eligibility. Accessed May 17, 2019.
US Department of Agriculture. Benefit redemption by eligible households [75 FR 18381, Apr. 12, 2010, as amended at 80 FR 53243, Sept. 3, 2015]. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=3a0f20e73602ae1dbfba6eed9d1e5733&mc=true&node=se7.4.274_17&rgn=div8. Accessed November 20, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Electronic benefits transfer online purchasing pilot request for volunteers. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2016.https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/snap/onlinepurchasing-rfv.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2018.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program online purchasing pilot. https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/online-purchasing-pilot. Accessed November 1, 2019.
Conway J. U.S. consumers: online grocery shopping – statistics and facts.https://www.statista.com/topics/1915/us-consumers-online-grocery-shopping/. Accessed October 10, 2019.
Nielsen. The future of grocery: e-commerce, digital technology and changing shopping preferences around the world. New York, NY: The Nielsen Company; 2015.https://www.nielsen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/04/nielsen-global-e-commerce-new-retail-report-april-2015.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2019.
- EBT payment for online grocery orders: a mixed-methods study to understand its uptake among SNAP recipients and the barriers to and motivators for its use.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018; 50: 396-402
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Food Access Research atlas.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/. Accessed October 3, 2019.
- Where do Americans usually shop for food and how do they travel to get there? Initial findings from the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey.EIB-138. Washington, DC: US. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2015
- The theory of planned behavior.Organ Behav Hum. 1991; 50: 179-211
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.Int J Qual Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Qualitative Methods in Public Health: A Field Guide for Applied Research.Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2005https://epdf.tips/qualitative-methods-in-public-health-a-field-guide-for-applied-research.htmlDate accessed: October 15, 2018
Office of the Administration for Children and Families. About the Office of Head Start. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ohs/about. Accessed October 5, 2018.
SL Start New Mexico.https://www.slstartnewmexico.com/. Accessed October 5, 2018.
- Introducing focus groups.BMJ. 1995; 7000: 299-302
- Online grocery shopping: promise and pitfalls for healthier food and beverage purchases.Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 3360-3376
- Saturation in qualitative research: exploring its conceptualization and operationalization.Qual Quant. 2018; 52: 1893-1907
- The Research Act: A Theoretical Introduction to Sociological Methods.3rd ed. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1989
- Buying groceries in brick and click stores: category allocation decisions and the moderating effect of online buying experience.J Interact Mark. 2015; 31: 63-78
- Could EBT machines increase fruit and vegetable purchases at New York City Green Carts?.Prev Chron Dis. 2017; 14: E83
- A food hub to address healthy food access gaps: residents’ preferences.J Agric Food Syst Commun Dev. 2019; 9: 1-10
- How rural low-income families have fun: a grounded theory study.J Leis Res. 2007; 39: 271-294
- Diversity and digital divide: using the National Broadband Map to identify the non-adopters of broadband.Telecommun Policy. 2018; 42: 361-373
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Characteristics of USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program households: fiscal year 2017 (summary). Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2017.https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/resource-files/Characteristics2017-Summary.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2019.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. SNAP-Ed guiding principles. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2015.https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/GuidingPrinciples2015.pdf. Accessed November 1, 2019.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.