Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Nutrition Education: Linking Research, Theory, and Practice.3rd ed. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA2015
- Factors influencing efficacy of nutrition education interventions: a systematic review.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 142-165
- Development and validation of the Guide for Effective Nutrition Interventions and Education (GENIE): a tool for assessing the quality of proposed nutrition education programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 308-316
- What is your nutrition program missing? Finding answers with the Guide for Effective Nutrition Interventions and Education (GENIE).J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 122-130
- Best Practices and innovative solutions to overcome barriers to delivering policy, systems and environmental changes in rural communities.Nutrients. 2018; 10: 1012
- Incorporating nutrition education classes into food pantry settings: lessons learned in design and implementation.J Ext. 2015; 53: 6FEA4
- Factors that contribute to effective nutrition education interventions in children: a systematic review.Nutr Rev. 2018; 76: 553-580
- Obesity prevention in early child care settings: a bistate (Minnesota and Wisconsin) assessment of best practices, implementation difficulty, and barriers.Health Educ Behav. 2016; 44: 23-31
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Supplemental nutrition assistance program education. FY 2019 SNAP-Ed plan guidance: March 2018. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 2018.https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/snap/Guidance/FY2019SNAPEdPlanGuidanceFULL.pdf. Accessed December 5, 2019.
- The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program Policies.National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Washington, DC2017https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/program/EFNEP-Policy-December-2017-Update.pdfDate accessed: December 5, 2019
Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Pub L No. 111–296, 124 Stat 3183, 42 USC §1751 (2010).https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-111publ296/pdf/PLAW-111publ296.pdf. Accessed January 9, 2020.
- Best practices in nutrition for low-income audiences.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2014https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/snap/CSUBestPractices.pdfDate accessed: December 5, 2019
- Evaluation of Health Promotion, Health Education and Disease Prevention.McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2004
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The social-ecological model: a framework for prevention. Updated 2015.http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/overview/social-ecologicalmodel.html. Accessed December 5, 2019.
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015–2020. 8th ed.http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed December 5, 2019.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education FY2015 through the Land-Grant University System.TEConomy Partners, LLC, Columbus, OH2016https://community-nutrition-education.extension.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FY2015-SNAP-Ed-Report-Final.pdfDate accessed: October 31, 2019
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education evaluation framework and interpretive guide.2016https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/program-administration/snap-ed-evaluation-frameworkDate accessed: October 31, 2019
- What does evidence-based mean for nutrition educators? Best practices for choosing nutrition education interventions based on the strength of the evidence.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 743-748.e1
- Evaluating food stamp nutrition education: issues and opportunities.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 6-11
- Health behavior theory and cumulative knowledge regarding health behaviors: are we moving in the right direction?.Health Educ Res. 2005; 20: 275-290
- Is one theory better than another in nutrition education? A viewpoint: more is better.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2004; 36: 40-42
- The role of behavioral science theory in development and implementation of public health interventions.Annu Rev Public Health. 2010; 31: 399-418
- Health Behavior: Theory, Research, and Practice.5th ed. John Wiley & Sons, San Francisco, CA2015
- Outcome effectiveness of a widely adopted EFNEP Curriculum.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 19-27
- Formative evaluation of EFNEP curriculum: ensuring the Eating Smart • Being Active curriculum is theory based.J Ext. 2015; 53: 1RIB1
- Reliability of a kid's activity and nutrition questionnaire for school-based SNAP-Ed interventions as part of a tiered development process.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 125-129
- Evaluation of Health Promotion, Health Education, and Disease Prevention Programs.3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2004
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials on the effectiveness of computer-tailored physical activity and dietary behavior promotion programs: an update.Ann Behav Med. 2012; 44: 259-286
- Review and analysis of evaluation measures used in nutrition education intervention research.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 2-25
- Planning a program evaluation: matching methodology to program status.in: Spector JM Merrill MD Elen J Bishop MJ Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology. Springer, New York, NY2014: 249-256
- EFNEP and SNAP-ed initial paraprofessional training materials and methods.J Ext. 2012; 50: 2TOT6
- Navigating for success: quality staff training translates into improved program participant outcomes.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 188-189
- Development of core competencies for paraprofessional nutrition educators who deliver food stamp nutrition education.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 138-143
- Core Intervention Components: Identifying and Operationalizing What Makes Programs Work.Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation Research Brief, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2013
- Implementation matters: a review of research on the influence of implementation on program outcomes and the factors affecting implementation.Am J Commun Psychol. 2008; 41: 327-350
- Balancing fidelity and adaptation in the dissemination of empirically supported treatments: the promise of trans diagnostic interventions.J Behav Res Ther. 2009; 47: 946-953
- Policy, systems, and environmental approaches to obesity prevention: translating and disseminating evidence from practice.Public Health Rep. 2015; 130: 616-622
Gregory C, Coleman-Jensen A. Food insecurity, chronic disease, and health among working-age adults. US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research report no. (ERR-235) 31.https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=84466.Accessed December 6, 2019.
- Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015–2016. United States Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; : 288https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db288.pdfDate accessed: December 5, 2019
- Prevalence of Obesity Among Youths by Household Income and Education Level of Head of Household — United States 2011–2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 186-189
- Hunger or deportation: implications of the Trump Administration's proposed public charge rule.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019; 51: 505-509
Parrott S, Aron-Dine A, Rosenbaum D, Rice D, Floyd I, Romig K. Trump budget deeply cuts health, housing, other assistance for low- and moderate-income families. 2018.https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/trump-budget-deeply-cuts-health-housing-other-assistance-for-low-and. Accessed December 5, 2019.
- Protecting our nutrient safety net.J Pediatr. 2018; 202: 9-10
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.