Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2015.Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2016
- The association of household food insecurity with the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Nutr. 2019; 58: 1341-1350
- Food insecurity and cardiovascular disease risk factors among Mississippi adults.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15: 1-8
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
Feeding America. Importance of nutrition on health in America. https://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/impact-of-hunger/hunger-and-nutrition. Accessed March 17, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. High blood pressure. https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/index.htm. Accessed March 19, 2018.
American Heart Association. The American Heart Association diet andlifestyle recommendations.http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.Wq_sk7Mh270. Accessed March 19, 2018.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes: lifestyle management.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: S38-S50
- Identifying knowledge deficits of food insecure patients with diabetes.Curr Diabetes Rev. 2014; 10: 402-406
- Food insecurity, poor diet quality, and obesity among food pantry participants in Hartford, CT.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 159-164
- Food insecurity and diabetes self-management among food pantry clients.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 183-189
- Relationship of food security with type 2 diabetes and its risk factors in Tehranian adults.Int J Prev Med. 2015; 6: 98
- Food insecurity in relation to changes in hemoglobin A1c, self-efficacy, and fruit/vegetable intake during a diabetes educational intervention.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 1448-1453
- A pilot food bank intervention featuring diabetes-appropriate food improved glycemic control among clients in three states.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1956-1963
- Housing instability and food insecurity as barriers to health care among low‐income Americans.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 71-77
- The relationship between food insecurity and depression, diabetes distress and medication adherence among low-income patients with poorly-controlled diabetes.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 1476-1480
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Emergency Food Assistance Act of 1983. 7 USC 7501: Definitions. https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:7%20section:7501%20edition:prelim. Accessed March 18, 2018.
- When the cupboards are bare: nudging food pantry clients to healthier foods.J Assoc Consum Res. 2016; 1: 125-133
- A case study of promoting nutrition and long-term food security through choice pantry development.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 324-336
- Hunger in America 2014.Feeding America, National Report. Chicago, IL2014http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/hunger-in-america-2014-full-report.pdfDate accessed: March 18, 2018
Mabli J, Cohen R, Potter F, Zhao Z. Hunger in America 2010: National Report Prepared for Feeding America. Princeton, NJ: Mathematica Policy Research; 2010.https://www.mathematica.org/-/media/publications/pdfs/nutrition/hunger_in_america_2010.pdf. Accessed January 2, 2020.
- Characteristics of short and long-term food pantry users.Mich Sociol Rev. 2012; 26: 58-74
Feeding America. What is a food bank?http://www.feedingamerica.org/our-work/food-bank-network.html. Accessed March 18, 2018.
Feeding America. The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP). https://www.feedingamerica.org/take-action/advocate/federal-hunger-relief-programs/the-emergency-food-assistance-program. Accessed March 18, 2018.
- Promoting food pantry environments that encourage nutritious eating behaviors.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 523-525
Farm to Food Pantry. Harvest Against Hunger. https://www.harvestagainsthunger.org/elementor-272/. Accessed March 18, 2018.
Georgia Food Bank Association. Georgia farmers feeding Georgia families. http://georgiafoodbankassociation.org/our-work/farm-to-food-bank/. Accessed March 18, 2018.
Foodbank of Santa Barbara county. Major food and produce donors.https://foodbanksbc.org/major-food-produce-donors/. Accessed March 18, 2018.
- Hunger in America 2014: report for the Foodbank, Inc.Urban Institute and Westate, Washington, DC, and Rockville, MD2014http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/FB121_OH_Dayton_report.pdfDate accessed: March 18, 2018
- Hunger in America 2014: report for Greater Cleveland Food Bank, Inc.Urban Institute and Westat, Washington, DC, and Rockville, MD2014http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/FB18_OH_Cleveland_report.pdfDate accessed: March 18, 2018
- Coping strategies and nutrition education needs among food pantry users.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 326-333
- Development of a nutrition education intervention for food bank clients.Health Promot Pract. 2017; 18: 221-228
- The search for Meanings-Grounded Theory.CA: Sage Publications. 1995; : 27-49
Foodpantries.org. Cincinnati, Ohio Food Pantries. http://www.foodpantries.org/ci/oh-cincinnati. Accessed March 19, 2018.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015–2020.8th ed. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2015 (http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed February 5, 2020)
- Nutrition Environment Measures Survey in Stores (NEMS-S). Development and evaluation.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 282-289
- Collecting Qualitative Data: A Field Manual for Applied Research.Sage Publications, Inc, 2013
- Qualitative research in healthcare: an introduction to grounded theory using thematic analysis.J R Coll Phys Edinb. 2015; 45: 201-205
- Basics of Qualitative Research.4th ed. Sage Publications, Inc, Thousand Oaks, California2015
- Strategies for ensuring trustworthiness in qualitative research projects.Educ Inf. 2004; 22: 63-75
- The nutritional quality of food provided from food pantries: a systematic review of existing literature.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 577-588
- Nutrition-focused food banking in the United States: a qualitative study of healthy food distribution initiatives.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1653-1665
Kentucky Association of Food Banks. Farms to food banksprogram.http://kafb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Farms-to-Food-Banks-flier-REVISED-Jan-2017-FINAL.pdf. Accessed January 2, 2020.
Maryland Food Bank. Maryland farmers helping their neighbors in need. https://mdfoodbank.org/hunger-in-maryland/approach/programs/farm-to-food-bank/. Accessed October 23, 2018.
Freestore Foodbank. Why waste?https://freestorefoodbank.org/food/. Accessed January 2, 2020.
Washington State Department of Agriculture. Farm to food pantry. https://agr.wa.gov/foodprog/f2fp.aspx. Accessed March 18, 2018.
- Nutrition Education: Linking Research, Theory, and Practice.3rd ed. Jones & Barlett Learning, LLC, Burlington, MA2016
- Indigenous message tailoring increases consumption of fresh vegetables by clients of community pantries.Health Commun. 2011; 26: 571-582
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition education and promotion: The role of FNS in helping low-income families make healthier eating and lifestyle choices - A report to Congress. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 2010.https://www.fns.usda.gov/nutrition-education-and-promotion-role-fns-helping-low-income-families-make-healthier-eating-and. Accessed January 2, 2020.
- The impact of nutrition education on food insecurity among low-income participants in EFNEP.Fam Consum Sci Res J. 2003; 32: 127-139
- A six-week cooking program of plant-based recipes improves food security, body weight, and food purchases for food pantry clients.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2013; 8: 73-84
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.