Main Outcome Measure
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Breastfeeding and the use of human milk.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e827-e841
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breastfeeding among US children born 2009–2016, CDC National Immunization Survey.https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/nis_data/results.html. Accessed December 19, 2019.
- National- and State-Level Estimates of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Eligibles and Program Reach in 2014, and Updated Estimates for 2005–2013. Vol 1. US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Policy Support, Alexandria, VA2017
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. About WIC – WIC at a glance.https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/about-wic-wic-glance. Accessed August 14, 2019.
Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. 7 C.F.R. § 246.14(c)(1) (2019).https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2019-title7-vol4/xml/CFR-2019-title7-vol4-part246.xml#seqnum246.14. Accessed February 13, 2020.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. Legislative history of breastfeeding promotion requirements in WIC.https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/legislative-history-breastfeeding-promotion-requirements-wic. Accessed on December 19, 2019.
- Updating the USDA National Breastfeeding Campaign: Workshop Summary.The National Academies, Washington, DC2011
US Department of Agriculture, WIC Breastfeeding Support. About WIC breastfeeding support and formative research findings.https://wicbreastfeeding.fns.usda.gov/about-wic-breastfeeding-support-and-formative-research-findings. Accessed August 14, 2019.
Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. 7 C.F.R. § 246.10 (e)(9-11) (2020).https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2019-title7-vol4/xml/CFR-2019-title7-vol4-part246.xml#seqnum246.10. Accessed February 13, 2020.
- WIC Breastfeeding Policy Inventory.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Alexandria, VA2015
- Support for breastfeeding mothers.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; CD001141
- Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study 2: Infant Year Report.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Alexandria, VA2017
- Development and validation of the infant feeding intentions scale.Matern Child Health J. 2009; 13: 334-342
- WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Study: Final Implementation Report.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research and Analysis, Alexandria, VA2010
- Evaluation of the Birth Month Breastfeeding Changes to the WIC Food Packages.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research and Analysis, Alexandria, VA2011
- Outcome evaluation of the You Can Do It initiative to promote exclusive breastfeeding among women enrolled in the New York State WIC program by race/ethnicity.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: S162-S168
- The impact of federal policy changes and initiatives on breastfeeding initiation rates and attitudes toward breastfeeding among WIC participants.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: S207-S211
- Telephone peer counseling of breastfeeding among WIC participants: a randomized controlled trial.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e700-e709
- The effect of a peer counseling program on breastfeeding initiation and longevity in a low-income rural population.J Hum Lact. 1999; 15: 19-25
- Breastfeeding peer counseling: from efficacy through scale-up.J Hum Lact. 2010; 26: 314-326
- Against the odds: breastfeeding experiences of low-income mothers.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2000; 45: 253-263
- Formula supplementation of breastfed infants: helpful or hazardous?.Infant Child Adolesc Nutr. 2015; 7: 198-207
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.