Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Trends in obesity and severe obesity prevalence in US youth and adults by sex and age, 2007–2008 to 2015–2016.J Am Med Assoc. 2018; 319: 1723-1725
- Obesity and excessive weight gain in young adults: new targets for prevention.J Am Med Assoc. 2017; 318: 241-242
- Dieting practices, weight perceptions, and body composition: a comparison of normal weight, overweight, and obese college females.Nutr J. 2006; 5: 5-11
- Freshmen women and the “freshman 15”: perspectives on prevalence and causes of college weight gain.J Am Coll Health. 2012; 60: 14-20
- The ‘freshman 5’: A meta-analysis of weight gain in the freshman year of college.J Am Coll Health. 2009; 58: 161-166
- Changes in body weight, composition, and shape: a 4-year study of college students.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012; 37: 1118-1123
- Change in weight and adiposity in college students: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 641-652
- Can changes in psychosocial factors and residency explain the decrease in physical activity during the transition from high school to college or university?.Int J Behav Med. 2015; 22: 178-186
- A comparison of college students’ reported fruit and vegetable liking and intake from childhood to adulthood.J Am Coll Nutr. 2017; 36: 28-37
- Availability and accessibility of student-specific weight loss programs and other risk prevention health services on College Campuses.JMIR Public Health Surveill. 2016; 2: e29
- Behavioral Health Among College Students Information and Resource Kit.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2019
- MyStudentBody-Stress: an online stress management intervention for college students.J Health Commun. 2008; 13: 555-572
- Brief alcohol interventions for mandated college students: comparison of face-to-face counseling and computer-delivered interventions.Addiction. 2011; 106: 528-537
San Diego State University Research Foundation. eCheckup to go.http://www.echeckuptogo.com/. Accessed March 5, 2020.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Individual-level strategies.https://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/CollegeAIM/IndividualStrategies/default.aspx. Accessed November 24, 2019.
San Diego State University Research Foundation. eCheckup to Go: NASPA recognizes the eCheckup to go. http://echeckuptogo.com/accolades. Accessed November 24, 2019.
- A controlled trial of web-based feedback for heavy drinking college students.Prev Sci. 2007; 8: 83-88
- Reducing alcohol use in first-year university students: evaluation of a web-based personalized feedback program.J Coll Couns. 2009; 12: 18-32
- Web-based alcohol prevention for incoming college students: a randomized controlled trial.Addict Behav. 2010; 35: 183-189
- Undergrad and overweight: an online behavioral weight management program for college students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 604-608
- A technology-mediated behavioral weight gain prevention intervention for college students: controlled, quasi-experimental study.J Med Internet Res. 2016; 18: 88-100
- My student body: effects of an internet-based prevention program to decrease obesity among college students.J Am Coll Health. 2012; 60: 324-330
- Development of Young Adults Eating and Active for Health (YEAH) internet-based intervention via a community-based participatory research model.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: S10-S25
- Feasibility of standardized methods to specify behavioral pediatric obesity prevention interventions.J Behav Med. 2017; 40: 730-739
- Changes in eating and physical activity behaviors across seven semesters of college: living on or off Campus Matters.Health Educ Behav. 2013; 40: 435-441
- Bridging the Evidence Gap in Obesity Prevention: A Framework to Inform Decision Making.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010
- Weight management among patients at community health centers: the “Be Fit, Be Well” study.Obes Weight Manag. 2009; 5: 222-228
- Iterative development of MobileMums: a physical activity intervention for women with young children.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 151
- A Facebook-based obesity prevention program for Korean American adolescents: usability evaluation.J Pediatr Health Care. 2017; 31: 57-66
- A persuasive and social mHealth application for physical activity: a usability and feasibility study.JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2014; 2: e25
- Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.2nd edition. US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2018
- Sedentary behavior and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: a science advisory from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2016; 134: e262-e279
- Public policies to reduce sugary drink consumption in children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2019; 143: e20190282
American Heart Association. Week 2: Empower Your Glass. Dallas, TX: American Heart Association; 2014. http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@fc/documents/downloadable/ucm_466721.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2020.
- Rationale, design and methods of the HEALTHY study nutrition intervention component.Int J Obes (Lond). 2009; 33: S29-S36
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Breakfast: key to growing healthy. Eat Right.https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/eating-as-a-family/breakfast-key-to-growing-healthy. Accessed March 5, 2020.
American Association of Pediatrics. The case for eating breakfast.https://www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/nutrition/Pages/The-Case-for-Eating-Breakfast.aspx. Accessed March 5, 2020.
American Heart Association. The skinny on fats.http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp. Accessed March 5, 2020.
- 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.8th ed. US Department of Agriculture and Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2015
US Department of Agriculture. ChooseMyPlate. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/. Accessed March 5, 2020.
- Modeled dietary impact of pizza reformulations in US children and adolescents.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0164197
- Energy and nutrient intake from pizza in the United States.Pediatrics. 2015; 135: 322-330
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- Cognitive load theory in health professional education: design principles and strategies.Med Educ. 2010; 44: 85-93
- Designing media messages about health and nutrition: what strategies are most effective?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: S13-S19
- Differential programming needs of college students preferring web-based versus in-person physical activity programs.Health Commun. 2018; 33: 1509-1515
- Factors related to weight gain/loss among emerging adults with obesity.Am J Health Behav. 2018; 42: 3-16
- A systematic review of tailored eHealth interventions for weight loss.Digit Health. 2019; 52055207619826685
- Tailored mobile text messaging interventions targeting type 2 diabetes self-management: a systematic review and a meta-analysis.Digit Health. 2019; 52055207619845279
- Behavioral and psychological factors associated with 12-month weight change in a physical activity trial.J Obes. 2011; 2011: 515803
- Assessing parental self-efficacy for obesity prevention related behaviors.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014; 11: 53
- Self-Efficacy Beliefs of Adolescents. 14. Information Age Publishing, Greenwich, CT2006: 307-337
- Exploring social cognitive theory constructs for promoting exercise among breast cancer patients.Cancer Nurs. 2004; 27: 462-473
- Pounds off Digitally study: a randomized podcasting weight-loss intervention.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 263-269
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Effects of tailoring ingredients in auditory persuasive health messages on fruit and vegetable intake.Psychol Health. 2017; 32: 781-797
- Young adults: beloved by food and drink marketers and forgotten by public health?.Health Promot Int. 2015; 31: 954-961
- Effect of energy drink and caffeinated beverage consumption on sleep, mood, and performance in children and adolescents.Nutr Rev. 2014; 72: 65-71
- Relationships of cognitive load on eating and weight-related behaviors of young adults.Eat Behav. 2016; 21: 89-94
- Cognitive pocesses in persuasion.in: Wyer RS Srull TK Handbook of Social Cognition. 2. Erlbaum, Hindsdale, NJ1994: 282-299
- Short-term efficacy of a web-based computer-tailored nutrition intervention: main effects and mediators.Ann Behav Med. 2005; 29: 54-63
- Implementation of the goal-setting components in popular physical activity apps: review and content analysis.Digit Health. 2019; 52055207619862706
- ACHA-NCHA II Fall 2018 Reference Group Executive Summary.American College Health Association, Silver Spring, MD2018
- The effect of branding to Promote healthy behavior: reducing tobacco use among youth and young adults.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 1517
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.