Main Outcomes Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Diet quality of items advertised in supermarket sales circulars compared to diets of the US population, as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index-2010.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 115-122
- Lifespan weighed down by diet.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2269-2270
- Dietary quality of Americans by Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program participation status: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 594-604
- Dietary intake and dietary quality of low-income adults in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.Am J Clin Nutr. 2012; 96: 977-988
Gregory CA, Coleman-Jensen A. Food Insecurity, Chronic Disease, and Health Among Working-Age Adults. ERR-235. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; 2017.https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/84467/err-235_summary.pdf?v=42942. Accessed July 13, 2020.
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, the Alternate Healthy Eating Index, the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and health outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 780-800.e5
Hales CM, Carroll MD, Fryar CD, Ogden CL. Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults and Youth: United States 2015-2016. NCHS Data Brief No. 288. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2017.https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db288.pdf. Accessed December 5, 2019.
- A qualitative study of diverse experts’ views about barriers and strategies to improve the diets and health of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) beneficiaries.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 70-76
US Department of Agriculture. Food and Nutrition Service. Nutrition education and promotion: the role of FNS in helping low-income families make healthier eating and lifestyle choices - a report to congress.http://www.fns.usda.gov/nutrition-education-and-promotion-role-fns-helping-low-income-families-make-healthier-eating-and. Accessed November 25, 2019.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Analysis, Nutrition, and Evaluation. Nutrition Education: Principles of Sound Impact Evaluation. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service; 2005.https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/EvaluationPrinciples.pdf. Accessed November 25, 2019.
- Review and analysis of evaluation measures used in nutrition education intervention research.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 2-25
- Identification of a framework for best practices in nutrition education for low-income audiences.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 546-552
- Development and validation of the Guide for Effective Nutrition Interventions and Education (GENIE): a tool for assessing the quality of proposed nutrition education programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 308-316.e1
- The National Cancer Institute's Dietary Assessment Primer: a resource for diet research.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: 1986-1995
- Selecting items for a food behavior checklist for a limited-resource audience.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 69-77
US Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute Division of Cancer Control & Population Sciences, Epidemiology and Genomics Research Program. Register of Validated Short Dietary Assessment Instruments. Updated January 10, 2020.https://epi.grants.cancer.gov/diet/shortreg/. Accessed July 13, 2020.
US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) policies, procedures, and guidelines. https://nifa.usda.gov/policies-procedures-and-guidelines. Accessed May 24, 2020.
Anliker J, Willis W, Montgomery S. The Development and Testing of the Behavior Checklist Questions for the EFNEP Evaluation/Reporting System. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture; 1998.https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource/Development%20and%20Testing%20of%20the%20Behavior%20Checklist%20Questions.pdf. Accessed July 11, 2020
US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food and Agriculture. The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program Policies. Washington, DC: National Institute of Food and Agriculture; 2015. Updated 2017.https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/program/EFNEP-Policy-December-2017-Update.pdf. Accessed December 5, 2019.
- Development and testing of a nutrition, food safety, and physical activity checklist for EFNEP and FSNE adult programs.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 123-130
- Developing a measure of behavior change in a program to help low-income parents prevent unhealthful weight gain in children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 12-21
- An evaluation of the validity and reliability of a food behavior checklist modified for children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 349-352
- Assessing factorial and convergent validity and reliability of a food behaviour checklist for Spanish-speaking participants in US Department of Agriculture nutrition education programmes.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 1165-1176
US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture. 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. 8th edition. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 2015.http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/. Accessed November 25, 2019.
- Methodology for developing a new EFNEP Food and Physical Activity Behaviors questionnaire.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 777-787.e1
- Nutrition content in a national nutrition education program for low-income adults: content analysis and comparison with the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 566-573.e1
- Nutrition recommendations from the US Dietary Guidelines critical to teach low-income adults: expert panel opinion.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 201-210
US Department of Agriculture, Research, Education, and Economics, and National Institute of Food and Agriculture. EFNEP Basics for New Coordinators: The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP). Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture; 2014. Updated April 2016.https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resources/EFNEP%20New%20Coordinator%20Guide.pdf. Accessed July 11, 2020.
- Research synthesis: the practice of cognitive interviewing.Public Opin Q. 2007; 71: 287-311
Willis GB. Cognitive Interviewing and Questionnaire Design: A Training Manual [Working Paper Series, no. 7]. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 1994.
- Scale Development: Theory and Applications.3rd ed. Sage Publications, Inc, Thousand Oaks, CA2011
- Evaluating Food Stamp Nutrition Education: process for development and validation of evaluation measures.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2006; 38: 18-24
- Practical and relevant self-report measures of patient health behaviors for primary care research.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3: 73-81
- Brief psychosocial fruit and vegetable tool is sensitive for the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrition Education Programs.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 2120-2124
- Reliability and validity of food frequency questions to assess beverage and food group intakes among low-income 2- to 4-year-old children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 931-939
- Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use.5th ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2015
- Examining test-retest reliability: an intra-class correlation approach.Nurs Res. 2002; 51: 59-62
- Measurement reliability and agreement in psychiatry.Stat Methods Med Res. 1998; 7: 301-317
- Straightforward Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.Brooks/Cole Publishing, Pacific Grove, CA1996
- Evaluation of validity of items for a food behavior checklist.J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101: 751-761
- The practice of cross-cultural cognitive interviewing.Public Opin Q. 2015; 79: 359-395
- Relative validation of fruit and vegetable intake and fat intake among overweight and obese African-American women.Public Health Nutr. 2015; 18: 1932-1940
- Psychometric validation of a brief self-report measure of diet quality: the DASH-Q.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49: 92-99.e1
- Fruit and vegetable assessment: performance of 2 new short instruments and a food frequency questionnaire.J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 102: 1764-1772
- Reliability and validity of nutrition knowledge questionnaire for adults.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47: 69-74
- Evaluation of three short dietary instruments to assess fruit and vegetable intake: the National Cancer Institute's food attitudes and behaviors survey.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1570-1577
- Less-healthy eating behaviors have a greater association with a high level of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among rural adults than among urban adults.Food Nutr Res. 2011; 55: 1-9
- Dietary patterns in adolescence are related to adiposity in young adulthood in black and white females.J Nutr. 2007; 137: 399-406
- Not enough fruit and vegetables or too many cookies, candies, salty snacks, and soft drinks?.Public Health Rep. 2010; 125: 88-95
- Practice-based evidence of effectiveness in an integrated nutrition and parenting education intervention for low-income parents.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 945-950
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, Alternate Healthy Eating Index, Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Score, and health outcomes: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 74-100.e11
- Dermal carotenoid measurements via pressure mediated reflection spectroscopy.J Biophotonics. 2012; 5: 559-570
- Dietary biomarker evaluation in a controlled feeding study in women from the Women's Health Initiative cohort.Am J Clin Nutr. 2017; 105: 466-475
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.