To explore the motivational transfer between physical activity (PA) and body-related eating cues, through self-determined motivations to exercise (SDM Ex) and regulate eating (SDM Eat).
Participants completed an online inventory on PA and eating behaviors and motivations in 2017–2018.
A convenience sample of 300 adults (71% women; 34.4 ± 10.7 years; 23.2 ± 3.4 kg/m2), recruited through Facebook and cooperating Portuguese gyms.
Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (independent), SDM Ex and SDM Eat (mediators), and body-related eating cues (dependent) variables assessed through validated self-reported measures.
Structural equation modeling and serial mediation procedures were used to test the hypothetical model.
Physical activity was positively associated with SDM Ex, which was, in turn, associated with SDM Eat, which in turn positively predicted reliance on hunger/satiety cues and (more strongly) body–food choice congruence. The path through exercise and eating motivations was the leading mediating path in the PA and body–food choice congruence association.
Conclusions and Implications
This study lends support to the motivational transfer hypothesis between SDM Ex and SDM Eat in normal-weight adults, suggesting that more physically active individuals present higher SDM Ex and SDM Eat, and therefore, greater attentiveness to body-related eating cues and necessities. Encouraging PA might also improve individuals’ eating self-regulation, especially if self-determined motivations are targeted in future interventions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Associations between local descriptive norms for overweight/obesity and insufficient fruit intake, individual-level diet, and 10-year change in body mass index and glycosylated haemoglobin in an Australian cohort.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018; 15: 44
- A systematic review of environmental factors and obesogenic dietary intakes among adults: are we getting closer to understanding obesogenic environments?.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: e95-e106
- Mindless eating: the 200 daily food decisions we overlook.Environ Behav. 2007; 39: 106-123
- Size acceptance and intuitive eating improve health for obese, female chronic dieters.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 929-936
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works.3rd ed. St Martin's Press, New York, NY2012
- The Intuitive Eating Scale-2: item refinement and psychometric evaluation with college women and men.J Couns Psychol. 2013; 60: 137-153
- A systematic review of the psychosocial correlates of intuitive eating among adult women.Appetite. 2016; 96: 454-472
- Intuitive eating is inversely associated with body weight status in the general population-based NutriNet-Sante study.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2016; 24: 1154-1161
- Moderate physical activity and its relationship to select measures of a healthy diet.J Rural Health. 2004; 20: 160-165
- Exercise as a gateway behavior for healthful eating among older adults: an exploratory study.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: S14-S19
- High habitual physical activity improves acute energy compensation in nonobese adults.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017; 49: 2268-2275
- Physical activity and dietary behavior in US adults and their combined influence on health.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 190-198
- Physical activity and maintenance of weight loss: physiological and psychological mechanisms.in: Bouchard C Physical Activity and Obesity. Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL2000: 311-328
- Exercise, appetite and appetite-regulating hormones: implications for food intake and weight control.Ann Nutr Metab. 2010; 57: 36-42
- Does habitual physical activity increase the sensitivity of the appetite control system? A systematic review.Sports Med. 2016; 46: 1897-1919
- The effects of exercise on the neuronal response to food cues.Physiol Behav. 2012; 105: 1028-1034
- The association between physical activity and eating self-regulation in overweight and obese women.Obes Facts. 2013; 6: 493-506
- Indirect effects of exercise on emotional eating through psychological predictors of weight loss in women.Appetite. 2015; 95: 219-227
- Motivational “spill-over” during weight control: increased self-determination and exercise intrinsic motivation predict eating self-regulation.Health Psychol. 2009; 28: 709-716
- Self-Determination Theory: Basic Psychological Needs in Motivation, Development, and Wellness.Guilford Press, New York, NY2017
- Exercise, physical activity, and self-determination theory: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 78
- Motivational dynamics underlying eating regulation in young and adult female dieters: relationships with healthy eating behaviours and disordered eating symptoms.Psychol Health. 2016; 31: 711-729
- The processes by which perceived autonomy support in physical education promotes leisure-time physical activity intentions and behavior: a trans-contextual model.J Educ Psychol. 2003; 95: 784-795
- Broadening the trans-contextual model of motivation: a study with Spanish adolescents.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014; 24: e306-e319
- Weight-focused physical activity is associated with poorer eating motivation quality and lower intuitive eating in women.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 750-759
- International Physical Activity Questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1381-1395
- Less sitting, more physical activity, or higher fitness?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2015; 90: 1533-1540
- Reliability and validity of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire in the Nord-Trondelag health study (HUNT) population of men.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8: 63
- A modification to the Behavioural Regulation in Exercise Questionnaire to include an assessment of amotivation.J Sport Exer Psychol. 2004; 26: 191-196
- “It's who I am … really!’ The importance of integrated regulation in exercise contexts.J Appl Biobehav Res. 2006; 11: 79-104
- The Behavioral Regulation in Exercise Questionnaire (BREQ-3) Portuguese-version: evidence of reliability, validity and invariance across gender.Front Psychol. 2018; 9: 1940
- Why do you regulate what you eat? Relationships between forms of regulation, eating behaviors, sustained dietary behavior change, and psychological adjustment.Motiv Emot. 2004; 28: 245-277
- Psychometric properties of the Intuitive Eating Scale -2 and association with binge eating symptoms in a Portuguese community sample.Int J Psychol Psychol Ther. 2016; 16: 329-341
- Multivariate Data Analysis.7th ed. Pearson Education, Inc, Saddle River, NJ2014
- Structural Equation Modeling with AMOS: Basic Concepts, Applications, and Programming.2nd ed. Routledge, New York, NY2010
- Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling.4th ed. Guilford Press, New York, NY2016
- Behavioral change theories can inform the prediction of young adults’ adoption of a plant-based diet.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 168-177
- Parental information, motivation, and behavioral skills correlate with child sweetened beverage consumption.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 240-245
- Social cognitive model of fruit and vegetable consumption in elementary school children.J Nutr Educ. 1999; 31: 23-30
- Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models.Behav Res Methods. 2008; 40: 879-891
- Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Regression-Based Approach.2nd ed. Guilford Press, London, United Kingdom2018
- Confidence limits for the indirect effect: distribution of the product and resampling methods.Multivariate Behav Res. 2004; 39: 99
- Mediation in experimental and nonexperimental studies: new procedures and recommendations.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 422-445
- Performance of bootstrapping approaches to model test statistics and parameter standard error estimation in structural equation modeling.Struct Equ Modeling. 2001; 8: 353-377
- Impact of physical activity level and dietary fat content on passive overconsumption of energy in non-obese adults.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017; 14: 14
- Physical activity and appetite control: can we close the energy gap?.Nutr Bull. 2011; 36: 356-366
- The effect of physical activity on weight loss is mediated by eating self-regulation.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 79: 320-326
- Homeostatic and non-homeostatic appetite control along the spectrum of physical activity levels: an updated perspective.Physiol Behav. 2018; 192: 23-29
- Exercise motives and positive body image in physically active college women and men: exploring an expanded acceptance model of intuitive eating.Body Image. 2015; 15: 90-97
- ACSM's Behavioral Aspects of Physical Activity and Exercise.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2014
- Helping your clients and patients take ownership over their exercise: fostering exercise adoption, adherence, and associated well-being.ACSMs Health Fit J. 2009; 13: 20-25
- The role of motivation in behavior change: how do we encourage our clients to be active?.ACSMs Health Fit J. 2009; 13: 7-12
Published online: September 15, 2020
Accepted: August 11, 2020
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.
© 2020 Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.