Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Core indicators of nutritional state for difficult-to-sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1559-1600
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2015.Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2016Accessed June 4, 2020)
- Food Security Among Hispanic Adults in the United States, 2011-2014.Washington, DC: Economic Research Service. 2016; (Accessed June 4, 2020)
- Exploring mediators of food insecurity and obesity: a review of recent literature.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 253-264
- Food insecurity and chronic disease.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 203-212
- Food insecurity and adult overweight/obesity: gender and race/ethnic disparities.Appetite. 2017; 117: 373-378
- Gender disparities in the food insecurity-overweight and food insecurity-obesity paradox among low-income older adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 177: 1087-1096
- Differences in obesity prevalence by demographic characteristics and urbanization level among adults in the United States, 2013-2016.JAMA. 2018; 319: 2419-2429
- Hunger of the body and hunger of the mind: African American women's perceptions of food insecurity, health and violence.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 116-125
- Food insecurity is associated with anxiety, stress, and symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder in a cohort of women with or at risk of HIV in the United States.J Nutr. 2019; 149: 1393-1403
American Psychological Association. Stress in America™ 2013 highlights: are teens adopting adults’ stress habits?https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2013/highlights. Accessed June 4, 2020.
- Psychometric properties and factor structure of the Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire (TFEQ) in obese men and women. Results from the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) study.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000; 24: 1715-1725
- Dietary intake, behaviors and psychosocial factors among women from food-secure and food-insecure households in the United States.Ethn Dis. 2016; 26: 139-146
- Food insecurity and eating behavior relationships among congregate meal participants in Georgia.J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 35: 32-42
Lofton K, Connell C. Examining relationships among obesity, food insecurity, stress, and emotional eating in low-income caregivers of Head Start children. Hattiesburg, MS: The University of Southern Mississippi; 2007.http://srdc.msstate.edu/ridge/projects/recipients/06_lofton_final.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2020.
- Association between food insecurity and emotional eating in Latinos and the mediating role of perceived stress.Public Health Nutr. 2020; 23: 642-648
- Eating behaviour in the general population: an analysis of the factor structure of the German version of the Three-Factor-Eating-Questionnaire (TFEQ) and its association with the body mass index.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0133977
- Relationship of physical activity and eating behaviour with obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus: Sofia Lifestyle (SLS) study.Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2011; 53: 11-18
- Association of dysfunctional eating patterns and metabolic risk factors for cardiovascular disease among Latinos.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 849-856
- Health and eating behavior differs between lean/normal and overweight/obese low-income women living in food-insecure environments.Am J Health Promot. 2013; 27: 358-365
- Neighborhood environment correlates of physical activity and sedentary behavior among Latino adults in Massachusetts.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 966
DataUSA. COVID-19 in numbers: Lawrence, MA. https://datausa.io/profile/geo/lawrence-ma/. Accessed June 4, 2020.
US Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Human Research Protections. Coded private information or specimens use in research, guidance (2008).https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/guidance/research-involving-coded-private-information/index.html. Accessed October 15, 2020.
- The effectiveness of a short form of the Household Food Security Scale.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1231-1234
- Psychometric analysis of the Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire-R21: results from a large diverse sample of obese and non-obese participants.Int J Obes (Lond). 2009; 33: 611-620
- Psychometric Theory.McGraw-Hill, New York, NY1978
- Sedentary behavior and cardiovascular disease risk factors among Latino adults.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2017; 28: 798-811
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. The Evidence Report.National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, BethesdaMD1998
- Validation of the WHI brief physical activity questionnaire among women diagnosed with breast cancer.Am J Health Behav. 2007; 31: 193-202
- 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Scientific Report.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2018Accessed June 4, 2020)
- The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51: 1173-1182
- Total, direct, and indirect effects in logit and probit models.Sociol Methods Res. 2013; 42: 164-191
- Decomposing primary and secondary effects: a new decomposition method.Res Soc Stratification Mob. 2011; 29: 221-237
- Food insecurity is associated with increased risk of obesity in California women.J Nutr. 2003; 133: 1070-1074
- Food insecurity and obesity: exploring the role of social support.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2018; 27: 651-658
- Three Factor Eating Questionnaire-R18 as a measure of cognitive restraint, uncontrolled eating and emotional eating in a sample of young Finnish females.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2009; 6: 41
- Eating behaviors, mental health, and food intake are associated with obesity in older congregate meal participants.J Nutr Gerontol Geriatr. 2014; 33: 340-356
- Food insecurity, diet quality and body mass index of women participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: the role of intrapersonal, home environment, community and social factors.Appetite. 2018; 125: 109-117
- The Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire-R18 is able to distinguish among different eating patterns in a general population.J Nutr. 2004; 134: 2372-2380
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.