Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Hypertension prevalence and control among adults: United States, 2015-2016.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; 289: 1-8
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. High blood pressure.https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/high-blood-pressure. Accessed October 19, 2020.
- Randomized trials of sodium reduction: an overview.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 643S-651S
- Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 3-10
- Institute of Medicine. 2010. Strategies to reduce sodium intake in the United States. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.Adv Nutr. 2010; 1: 49-50
- The University of New Hampshire's Young Adult Health Risk Screening Initiative.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 1751-1758
- Dietary Reference Intakes for Sodium and Potassium.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2019
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence of excess sodium intake in the United States — NHANES, 2009–2012. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6452a1.htm. Accessed October 19, 2020.
- Dietary intake, body mass index, exercise, and alcohol: are college women following the dietary guidelines for Americans?.J Am Coll Heal. 2001; 49: 167-171
- Weight gain prevention: identifying theory-based targets for health behavior change in young adults.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1708-1715
- Weight changes, exercise, and dietary patterns during freshman and sophomore years of college.J Am Coll Heal. 2005; 53: 245-251
- Few differences found in the typical eating and physical activity habits of lower-level and upper-level university students.J Am Diet Assoc. 2005; 105: 798-801
- Emerging adulthood and college-aged youth: an overlooked age for weight-related behavior change.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 2205-2211
- Consumer knowledge, attitudes and salt-related behavior in the Middle-East: the case of Lebanon.Nutrients. 2014; 6: 5079-5102
- Level of nutrition knowledge and its association with fat consumption among college students.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 1047
- Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to sodium intake and reduction among adult consumers in the United States.Am J Heal Promot. 2017; 31: 68-75
- Change in US adult consumer knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to sodium intake and reduction: SummerStyles 2012 and 2015.Am J Health Promot. 2018; 32: 1357-1364
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System: BRFSS questionnaires.https://www.cdc.gov/brfss/questionnaires/index.htm. Accessed October 19, 2020.
Porter Novelli. PN Styles: ConsumerStyles & YouthStyles.http://styles.porternovelli.com/consumer-youthstyles/. Accessed October 19, 2020
- Dietary sodium intake: knowledge, attitudes and practices in Shandong Province, China, 2011.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e58973
- Consumer knowledge and attitudes to salt intake and labelled salt information.Appetite. 2009; 53: 189-194
- Estimating sodium and potassium intakes and their ratio in the American diet: data from the 2011-2012 NHANES.J Nutr. 2015; 146: 745-750
- Consumer attitudes, knowledge, and behavior related to salt consumption in sentinel countries of the Americas.Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2012; 32: 265-273
- Current levels of salt knowledge: a review of the literature.Nutrients. 2014; 6: 5534-5559
- Nutritional Knowledge, Practice, and Dietary Habits among school children and adolescents.Int J Prev Med. 2014; 5: S171—S178
The Ohio State University. Statistical summary. Columbus, OH: The Ohio State University; 2015.https://www.osu.edu/osutoday/StatisticalSummary2015.pdf. Accessed October 19, 2020.
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. About UH Mānoa. https://manoa.hawaii.edu/about/. Accessed October 19, 2020.
- Development and validation of a salt knowledge questionnaire.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 1061-1068
- Using qualitative methods to improve questionnaires for Spanish speakers: assessing face validity of a food behavior checklist.J Am Diet Assoc. 2010; 110: 80-90
Willis GB. Cognitive Interviewing: A “How To” Guide. Research Triangle Park, NC: Research Triangle Institute; 2019.http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=71CC295F5AF0F2D2C4B4804BF5CE5C9C?doi=10.1.1.469.6024&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed October 19, 2020
- Improving the Health, Safety, and Well-Being of Young Adults: Workshop Summary.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2013
- Asian American dietary sources of sodium and salt behaviors compared with other racial/ethnic groups, NHANES, 2011-2012.Ethn Dis. 2017; 27: 241-248
- Salt sensitivity, insulin resistance, and public health in India.Endocr Pract. 2010; 16: 940-944
- Salt sensitivity of Japanese from the viewpoint of gene polymorphism.Hypertens Res. 2003; 26: 521-525
- Effects of diet and sodium intake on blood pressure: subgroup analysis of the DASH-sodium trial.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 1019-1028
- Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika. 1951; 16: 297-334
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.