Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Food and Agriculture Organization. Food loss and food waste. http://www.fao.org/food-loss-and-food-waste/en/. Accessed March 26, 2020.
- Environmental sustainability of hospital foodservices across the food supply chain: a systematic review.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 825-873
- Medical waste management at upazila level in Bangladesh.J Environ Treat Tech. 2014; 2: 85-94
United States Environmental Protection Agency. Sustainable management of food.https://www.epa.gov/sustainable-management-food/united-states-2030-food-loss-and-waste-reduction-goal. Accessed March 26, 2020.
Commonwealth of Australia. National Food Waste Strategy: Halving Australia's Food Waste by 2030. Canberra, Australia: Commonwealth of Australia; 2017.https://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/resources/4683826b-5d9f-4e65-9344-a900060915b1/files/national-food-waste-strategy.pdf. Accessed March 26, 2020.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Sustainable Development Goal 12: ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdg12. Accessed March 30, 2020.
Leib EB, Sandson K, Macaluso L, Mansell C. Organic waste bans and recycling laws to tackle food waste. https://www.biocycle.net/organic-waste-bans-recycling-laws-tackle-food-waste/. Accessed September 14, 2020.
- Sustainability in hospital foodservice.J Foodserv Bus Res. 2011; 14: 241-255
- Determination of hospital waste composition and disposal methods: a case study.Pol J Environ Stud. 2003; 12: 251-255
- Electric energy generation and technical-economic viability of a biodigester in the hospital sector.Pubvet. 2017; 11: 1263-1273
- Proposta de utilização de resíduos orgânicos em uma unidade de alimentação e nutrição hospitalar, Belo Horizonte, MG.Hig Aliment. 2014; 28: 41-45
- Implementing a solid waste management diversion program in a conventional cook–serve hospital system: a feasibility study.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2010; 5: 370-379
- Repurposing waste streams: lessons on integrating hospital food waste into a community garden.J Community Health. 2018; 43: 944-946
- Monitoring of the process of composting of kitchen waste in an institutional scale worm farm.Water Sci Technol. 2005; 51: 171-177
- Getting a taste for food waste: a mixed methods ethnographic study into hospital food waste before patient consumption conducted at three New Zealand foodservice facilities.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 63-71
- How practice contributes to trolley food waste. A qualitative study among staff involved in serving meals to hospital patients.Appetite. 2014; 83: 49-56
- Consumer involvement in health research: a review and research agenda.Health Policy. 2002; 61: 213-236
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. Patient-Centred Care: Improving Quality and Safety through Partnerships with Patients and Consumers. Sydney, Australia: ACSQHC; 2011.https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/PCC_Paper_August.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2020.
- Introduction to positivism, interpretivism and critical theory.Nurse Res. 2018; 25: 41-49
Environment Protection Authority. Love Food Hate Waste Tracking Survey 2017. Sydney, Australia: NSW Environment Protection Authority; 2018.https://www.lovefoodhatewaste.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/2018-06/Report%20-%20Tracking%20study%202017%20-%20Published%20Web%20version%20-%20April%202018.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2020.
- Qualitative data analysis for applied policy research.in: Huberman AM Miles MB The Qualitative Researcher's Companion. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2002: 187-208
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101
- The nutritional implications of food wastage in hospital food service management.Nutr Food Sci. 1999; 99: 89-98
- Engaging the patient: improving dietary intake and meal experience through bedside terminal meal ordering for oncology patients.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2018; 31: 803-809
- Impact of electronic bedside meal ordering systems on dietary intake, patient satisfaction, plate waste and costs: a systematic literature review.Nutr Diet. 2020; 77: 103-111
- Hospital food service: a comparative analysis of systems and introducing the ‘Steamplicity’ concept.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2006; 19: 421-430
- Influence of temperature on food intake in hospitalized patients.Nutr Hosp. 2008; 23: 54-59
- Higher food intake and appreciation with a new food delivery system in a Belgian hospital. Meals on Wheels, a bedside meal approach: a prospective cohort trial.Appetite. 2012; 59: 108-116
- The implications of food wastage on a renal ward.Br Food J. 2003; 105: 791-799
- How will a room service delivery system affect dietary intake, food costs, food waste and patient satisfaction in a paediatric hospital? A pilot study.J Foodserv. 2008; 19: 255-261
British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Hospital food as treatment.https://www.bapen.org.uk/resources-and-education/education-and-guidance/guidelines/hospital-food-as-treatment?showall=1. Accessed October 8, 2020.
- A foodservice approach to enhance energy intake of elderly subacute patients: a pilot study to assess impact on patient outcomes and cost.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 486-493
US Department of Agriculture. Frequently asked questions about the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act.https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/usda-good-samaritan-faqs.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2020.
Cornell Law School, Legal Information Institute. Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act.https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1791. Accessed October 8, 2020.
- Doing Interviews.Sage Publications, London, United Kingdom2007
- The environmental footprint of health care: a global assessment.Lancet Planet Health. 2020; 4: e271-e279
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.