Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
World Health Organization. Obesity and overweight.https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight. Accessed September 11, 2020.
- Obesity as a disease state: a new paradigm for diagnosis and treatment.Clin Cornerstone. 2009; 9 (discussion 26–29): 9-25
- The epidemiology of obesity.Gastroenterol Clin. 2010; 39: 1-7
- The supersizing of America: portion size and the obesity epidemic.Nutr Today. 2003; 38: 42-53
- Dietary patterns and changes in body mass index and waist circumference in adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 77: 1417-1425
- Identification of dietary patterns associated with obesity in a nationally representative survey of Canadian adults: application of a priori, hybrid, and simplified dietary pattern techniques.Am J Clin Nutr. 2017; 105: 669-684
- The 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans is associated with a more nutrient-dense diet and a lower risk of obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 104: 1378-1392
- Ultra-processed diets cause excess calorie intake and weight gain: an inpatient randomized controlled trial of ad libitum food intake.Cell Metab. 2019; 30 (67-77.e3)
United Nations. Population.https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/population/index.html. Accessed June 8, 2020.
- A systems approach to assessing environmental and economic effects of food loss and waste interventions in the United States.Sci Total Environ. 2019; 685: 1240-1254
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Climate effects on health.https://www.cdc.gov/climateandhealth/effects/default.htm. Accessed June 10, 2020.
- Options for keeping the food system within environmental limits.Nature. 2018; 562: 519-525
- The estimated amount, value, and calories of postharvest food losses at the retail and consumer levels in the United States. EIB-121.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2014
- Increased food energy supply as a major driver of the obesity epidemic: a global analysis.Bull World Health Organ. 2015; 93: 446-456
US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service. Food prices and spending.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-prices-and-spending/. Accessed September 24, 2020.
Chandler A. Why Americans lead the world in food waste.https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/07/american-food-waste/491513/. Accessed November 9, 2020.
American Farm Bureau Federation. U.S. food expenditures at home and abroad.https://www.fb.org/market-intel/u.s.-food-expenditures-at-home-and-abroad. Accessed September 24, 2020.
Gunders D. Wasted: how America is losing up to 40 percent of its food from farm to fork to landfill.https://www.nrdc.org/resources/wasted-how-america-losing-40-percent-its-food-farm-fork-landfill. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- A framework for a systems design approach to complex societal problems.Des Sci. 2019; 5: e2
- Seeing the Forest for the Trees: A Manager's Guide to Applying Systems Thinking.Nicholas Brealey International, Boston, MA2011
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program: nutrition standards for all foods sold in school as required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/07/29/2016-17227/national-school-lunch-program-and-school-breakfast-program-nutrition-standards-for-all-foods-sold-in. Accessed September 25, 2020
US Department of Agriculture. Ag secretary Perdue moves to make school meals great again.https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2017/05/01/ag-secretary-perdue-moves-make-school-meals-great-again. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- Association between state laws governing school meal nutrition content and student weight status: implications for new usda school meal standards.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 513-519
US Department of Agriculture. Why should we care about food waste?https://www.usda.gov/foodlossandwaste/why. Accessed September 11, 2020.
World Food Program USA. The flipside of food waste.https://www.wfpusa.org/hunger-and-food-waste/. Accessed September 11, 2020.
- On the measurement of food waste.Am J Agric Econ. 2017; 99: 1148-1158
Baker G, Calvin L, Gillman A, et al. Tomato tales: Comparing loss-reduction drivers and opportunities across U.S. fresh tomato supply chains. In: Minor T, Thornsbury S, Misra A, eds. The Economics of Food Loss in the Produce Industry. New York, NY: Routledge; 2020.
- Cost modelling and simulation of last-mile characteristics in an innovative B2C supply chain environment with implications on urban areas and cities.Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014; 125: 398-411
- Economic Drivers of Food Loss at the Farm and Pre-retail Sectors: A Look at the Produce Supply Chain in the United States.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2020
- Case study on processing tomatoes.in: Minor T Thornsbury S Misra A The Economics of Food Loss in the Produce Industry. Routledge, New York, NY2020
- Reducing food loss and waste while improving the public's health.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1821-1829
- Wasted food: a qualitative study of U.S. young adults’ perceptions, beliefs and behaviors.Appetite. 2018; 130: 70-78
- A cross industry evaluation of food waste in restaurants.J Foodserv Bus Res. 2019; 22: 449-466
- Eating out of home and its association with dietary intake: a systematic review of the evidence.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 329-346
- Biting off more than they can chew: food waste at hotel breakfast buffets.J Travel Res. 2018; 57: 232-242
Kerman B. You didn't finish the pickled ginger: the peculiar rules at all-you-can-eat sushi joints.https://www.stlmag.com/dining/You-Didnt-Finish-the-Pickled-Ginger-The-Peculiar-Rules-at-All-You-Can-Eat-Sushi-Joints/. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- Can economic incentive help in reducing food waste: experimental evidence from a university dining hall.Appl Econ Lett. 2019; 26: 1448-1451
The Food Industry Association. Grocery store chains net profit.https://www.fmi.org/our-research/supermarket-facts/grocery-store-chains-net-profit. Accessed June 25, 2020.
Produce Marketing Association. How consumer trends in grocery shopping are changing retail: PMA research.https://www.pma.com/content/articles/how-consumer-trends-in-grocery-shopping-are-changing-retail. Accessed November 9, 2020.
Buzby JC, Wells HF, Axtman B, Mickey J. Supermarket loss estimates for fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, and seafood and their use in the ERS loss-adjusted food availability data. https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/58313/. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- Updated Supermarket Shrink Estimates for Fresh Foods and Their Implications for ERS Loss-adjusted Food Availabillity Data.US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC2016
US Environmental Protection Agency. Food recover hierarchy.https://www.epa.gov/sustainable-management-food/food-recovery-hierarchy. Accessed June 8, 2020.
Pipkin W. Why this food bank is turning away junk food.https://civileats.com/2016/08/15/why-this-food-bank-is-turning-away-junk-food/. Accessed June 8, 2020.
Murphy K. Why students hate school lunches.http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/sunday-review/why-students-hate-school-lunches.html?_r=0. Accessed November 9, 2020.
National School Boards Association. School officials worry about wasted food. Am Sch Board J. 2014;201:1–13.
US Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Scientific report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee.https://health.gov/our-work/food-nutrition/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines/advisory-report. Accessed September 25, 2020.
US Government Accountability Office. School lunch: implementing nutrition changes was challenging and clarification of oversight requirements is needed. https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-104. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- Plate Waste in School Nutrition Programs: Final Report to Congress.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2002 (https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/48204/PDF. Accessed November 9, 2020)
- The role of familiarity in dietary development.Dev Rev. 2009; 29: 32-44
- The importance of exposure for healthy eating in childhood: a review.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2007; 20: 294-301
- Repeated exposure and associative conditioning promote preschool children's liking of vegetables.Appetite. 2012; 58: 543-553
- Repeated taste exposure increases liking for vegetables by low-income elementary school children.Appetite. 2010; 55: 226-231
- Impact of the new U.S. Department of Agriculture school meal standards on food selection, consumption, and waste.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 46: 388-394
- New school meal regulations increase fruit consumption and do not increase total plate waste.Child Obes. 2015; 11: 242-247
- A school salad bar increases frequency of fruit and vegetable consumption among children living in low-income households.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 1490-1496
- Resources, barriers, and tradeoffs: a mixed methods analysis of school pre-consumer food waste.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119 (1270–1283.e2)
- Integrating behavioral economics into nutrition education research and practice.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49 (e1): 700-705
- A systematic review of school meal nudge interventions to improve youth food behaviors.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2020; 17: 77
- Increasing portion sizes of fruits and vegetables in an elementary school lunch program can increase fruit and vegetable consumption.Appetite. 2015; 91: 426-430
- Wasted food: U.S. consumers’ reported awareness, attitudes, and behaviors.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0127881
- “Reduce Food Waste, Save Money”: testing a novel intervention to reduce household food waste.Environ Behav. 2021; 53: 151-183
- Domestic food practices: a study of food management behaviors and the role of food preparation planning in reducing waste.Appetite. 2018; 121: 215-227
- Spaghetti soup: the complex world of food waste behaviours.Resour Conserv Recy. 2013; 79: 43-51
- Avoiding food waste by Romanian consumers: the importance of planning and shopping routines.Food Qual Prefer. 2013; 28: 375-381
- Drivers of food waste and their implications for sustainable policy development.Resour Conserv Recy. 2016; 106: 110-123
- Ultraprocessed food consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes among participants of the NutriNet-Santé prospective cohort.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 283-291
- Estimating food waste as household production inefficiency.Am J Agric Econ. 2020; 102: 525-547
- Food waste, healthy diets, and environmental sustainability: a guide for nutritionists.Nutr Today. 2020; 55: 5-10
- Convenience food products. Drivers for consumption.Appetite. 2010; 55: 498-506
- Cooking at home: a strategy to comply with U.S. Dietary guidelines at no extra cost.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 52: 616-624
- Food preparation by young adults is associated with better diet quality.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 2001-2007
- Household-level dynamics of food waste production and related beliefs, attitudes, and behaviours in Guelph, Ontario.Waste Manag. 2015; 35: 207-217
- Comparison of life cycle environmental impacts from meal kits and grocery store meals.Resour Conserv Recy. 2019; 147: 189-200
- Economic constraints on taste formation and the true cost of healthy eating.Soc Sci Med. 2016; 148: 34-41
- Food waste matters - a systematic review of household food waste practices and their policy implications.J Cleaner Prod. 2018; 182: 978-991
National Council on Aging. Economic security for seniors facts.https://www.ncoa.org/news/resources-for-reporters/get-the-facts/economic-security-facts/. Accessed June 25, 2020.
- Sources of Income for Older Americans, 2012.AARP Public Policy Institute, Washington, DC2013https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/public_policy_institute/econ_sec/2013/sources-of-income-for-older-americans-2012-fs-AARP-ppi-econ-sec.pdfDate accessed: June 25, 2020
- Food insecurity and food preparation equipment in US households: exploratory results from a cross-sectional questionnaire.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2019; 32: 143-151
- Pay As You Throw (PAYT) in the US: 2006 Update and Analyses.EPA Office of Solid Waste, Washington, DC2006https://archive.epa.gov/wastes/conserve/tools/payt/web/pdf/sera06.pdfDate accessed: June 15, 2020
Steffen AD. South Korea has almost zero food waste, here's how. https://www.intelligentliving.co/south-korea-zero-food-waste/. Accessed November 9, 2020.
- Global diets link environmental sustainability and human health.Nature. 2014; 515: 518-522
- Characteristics and dietary patterns of adolescents who value eating locally grown, organic, nongenetically engineered, and nonprocessed food.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 11-18
- Positive attitudes toward organic, local, and sustainable foods are associated with higher dietary quality among young adults.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 127-132
- Healthy planet, healthy youth: a food systems education and promotion intervention to improve adolescent diet quality and reduce food waste.Nutrients. 2019; 11: 1869
- Food and non-edible, compostable waste in a university dining facility.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2009; 4: 95-102
- Quantifying the impact of going trayless in a University Dining hall.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2012; 7: 482-486
- Impact on plate waste of switching from a tray to a trayless delivery system in a university dining hall and employee response to the switch.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 141-145
- Impact of trayless dining intervention on food choices of university students.Arch Public Health. 2018; 76: 61
- Portion size me: plate-size induced consumption norms and win-win solutions for reducing food intake and waste.J Exp Psychol Appl. 2013; 19: 320-332
- ‘Nudging’ hotel guests to reduce food waste as a win–win environmental measure.Econ Lett. 2013; 119: 325-327
- Inviting consumers to downsize fast-food portions significantly reduces calorie consumption.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 399-407
- Reducing portion size reduces food intake and plate waste.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010; 18: 1864-1866
- The effect of a portion size intervention on French fries consumption, plate waste, satiety and compensatory caloric intake: an on-campus restaurant experiment.Nutr J. 2018; 17: 43
- Smaller servings vs. information provision: results of two interventions to reduce plate waste in two university canteens.Waste Manag. 2020; 103: 323-333
- Restaurant Food Waste Action Guide.ReFED, Berkeley, CA2018https://www.refed.com/downloads/Restaurant_Guide_Web.pdfDate accessed: November 9, 2020
- Reducing Wasted Food & Packaging: A Guide for Food Services and Restaurants.US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC2014
- Food waste prevention in Europe – a cause-driven approach to identify the most relevant leverage points for action.Resour Conserv Recy. 2016; 109: 155-165
- Farm to school activities and student outcomes: a systematic review.Adv Nutr. 2020; 11: 357-374
- Lunch, recess and nutrition: responding to time incentives in the cafeteria.Prev Med. 2015; 71: 27-30
- Amount of time to eat lunch is associated with children's selection and consumption of school meal entree, fruits, vegetables, and milk.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 123-128
- Pre-sliced fruit in school cafeterias: children's selection and intake.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 477-480
- Characterizing and assessing the quality of state K-12 share table policies as a potential mechanism to reduce food waste and promote food security.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 21-30
US Department of Agriculture. The use of share tables in child nutrition programs.https://www.fns.usda.gov/cn/use-share-tables-child-nutrition-programs#:∼:text=%E2%80%9CShare%20tables%E2%80%9D%20are%20tables%20or,who%20may%20want%20additional%20servings. Accessed November 9, 2020.
Redman R. GMA, FMI hail FDA's support of ‘Best If Used By’ label.https://www.supermarketnews.com/food-safety/gma-fmi-hail-fda-s-support-best-if-used-label. Accessed November 9, 2020.
US Government Accountability Office. Date labels on packaged foods: USDA and FDA could take additional steps to reduce consumer confusion.https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-19-407. Accessed November 9, 2020.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.