Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program Policies.US Department of Agriculture, 2017Accessed January 4, 2020)
- 20 years of EFNEP: changes and challenges.J Nutr Educ Behav. 1989; 21: 265-269
- Collection methods for the 24-hour dietary recall as used in the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017; 49 (250–256.e1)
- The Healthy Eating Index: design and applications.J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95: 1103-1108
- The Healthy Eating Index: 1999-2000.US Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, 2002Accessed January 16, 2021)
- Development of the Healthy Eating Index-2005.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1896-1901
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1854-1864
- Effect of a Nutrient Rich Foods consumer education program: results from the nutrition advice study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 56-63
- Diet quality and weight change among overweight and obese postpartum women enrolled in a behavioral intervention program.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 54-62
- A church-based diet and physical activity intervention for rural, lower Mississippi Delta African American adults: Delta body and soul effectiveness study, 2010-2011.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E92
- Improved overall quality of diets reported by Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program participants in the mountain region.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47 (421–426.e1)
- The effectiveness of the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) on diet quality as measured by the Healthy Eating Index.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2019; 14: 316-325
- What social, program, and behavioral factors influence the Healthy Eating Index for EFNEP and SNAP-Ed adult participants?.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2015; 11: 344-353
US Department of Agriculture, National Institute of Food Agriculture. WebNEERS: planning, evaluation, and reporting. https://nifa.usda.gov/tool/webneers. Accessed August 10, 2020.
US Department of Health and Human Services. Human subject regulations decision charts. https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/decision-charts/index.html#c1. Accessed August 10, 2020.
R Core Team. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. http://www.R-project.org/. Accessed January 30, 2020.
- An R Companion to Applied Regression.Sage Publishing, 2011
Wickham H, François R, Henry L, Müller K. dplyr: a grammar of data manipulation. https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=dplyr. Accessed January 30, 2020.
Robinson D, Hayes A, Couch S, et al. broom: convert statistical analysis objects into tidy tibbles. https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=broom. Accessed January 29, 2020.
- Least-squares means: the R package lsmeans.J Stat Softw. 2016; 69: 1-33
- Diet Quality of Low-Income and Higher Income Americans in 2003-04 as Measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2005.US Department of Agriculture, 2008Accessed January 16, 2021)
- Diet quality of Americans differs by age, sex, race/ethnicity, income, and education level.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013; 113: 297-306
- Nutrition content in a national nutrition education program for low-income adults: content analysis and comparison with the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2015; 47 (566–573.e1)
McLeod S. What does effect size tell you?https://www.simplypsychology.org/effect-size.html. Accessed January 29, 2020.
- The Healthy Eating Index-2010 is a valid and reliable measure of diet quality according to the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.J Nutr. 2014; 144: 399-407
- Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults and Youth: United States 2015–2016. US Department of Health and Human Services.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2017Accessed August 10, 2020)
- Diet quality as assessed by the Healthy Eating Index, Alternate Healthy Eating Index, Dietary Approaches to stop hypertension score, and health outcomes: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118 (74–100.e11)
- Alternative dietary indices both strongly predict risk of chronic disease.J Nutr. 2012; 142: 1009-1018
- Adherence to the Healthy Eating Index and Alternative Healthy Eating Index dietary patterns and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease and cancer: a meta-analysis of observational studies.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2017; 30: 216-226
- Index-based dietary patterns and risk of colorectal cancer: the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2008; 168: 38-48
- Index-based dietary patterns and the risk of prostate cancer in the NIH-AARP diet and health study.Am J Epidemiol. 2013; 177: 504-513
- Index-based dietary patterns and risk of lung cancer in the NIH-AARP diet and health study.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2016; 70: 123-129
- Diet-quality scores and the risk of type 2 diabetes in men.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1150-1156
- The Healthy Eating Index 2005 and risk for pancreatic cancer in the NIH-AARP study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 1298-1305
- Better postdiagnosis diet quality is associated with reduced risk of death among postmenopausal women with invasive breast cancer in the Women's Health Initiative.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker Prev. 2014; 23: 575-583
- Postdiagnosis diet quality, the combination of diet quality and recreational physical activity, and prognosis after early-stage breast cancer.Cancer Causes Control. 2011; 22: 589-598
- Applications of the Healthy Eating Index for surveillance, epidemiology, and intervention research: considerations and caveats.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1603-1621
- Accuracy of dietary recall using the USDA five-step multiple-pass method in men: an observational validation study.J Am Diet Assoc. 2004; 104: 595-603
- The US Department of Agriculture Automated Multiple-Pass Method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88: 324-332
- The provision of assistance does not substantially impact the accuracy of 24-hour dietary recalls completed using the automated self-administered 24-H dietary assessment tool among women with low incomes.J Nutr. 2019; 149: 114-122
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: Susan S. Baker served as Colorado's State Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program Coordinator.