Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- The Estimated Amount, Value, and Calories of Postharvest Food Losses at the Retail and Consumer Levels in the United States.US Department of Agriculture, 2014
- The dating game.Natural Resources Defense Council, 2013Accessed April 2, 2021)
- Applications and perceptions of date labeling of food.Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 2014; 13: 745-769
- Misunderstood food date labels and reported food discards: A survey of U.S. consumer attitudes and behaviors.Waste Manag. 2019; 86: 123-132
- “Best if Used By …” how freshness dating influences food acceptance.J Food Sci. 2006; 71: S354-S357
- The effect of expiration dates and perceived risk on purchasing behavior in grocery store perishable categories.J Mark. 2005; 69: 114-129
- Food waste: the role of date labels, package size, and product category.Food Qual Prefer. 2017; 55: 35-44
- Seeing is not believing: perceptions of date labels over food and attributes.J Food Prod Mark. 2018; 24: 611-631
- Whenin Doubt, Throw It Out! The complicated decision to consume (or waste) food by date labels.Choices. 2019; 34: 1-7
- Food-related routines, product characteristics, and household food waste in the United States: a refrigerator-based pilot study.Resour Conserv Recycl. 2019; 150104440
- What a waste! Exploring the human reality of food waste from the store manager's perspective.J Public Policy Market. 2016; 35: 3-25
- Examining household food waste decisions: a vignette approach.Appl Econ Perspect Policy. 2018; 40: 613-631
- A road map to reduce U.S. Food waste by 20 percent.2016Accessed April 2, 2021)
Grocery Manufacturers Association. Grocery industry launches new initiative to reduce consumer confusion on product date labels.https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/grocery-industry-launches-new-initiative-to-reduce-consumer-confusion-on-product-date-labels-300407909.html. Accessed October 25, 2020.
Consumer Brands Association. 87% of products are now using two date labels, creating needed clarity.https://consumerbrandsassociation.org/press-releases/87-of-products-are-now-using-two-date-labels-creating-needed-clarity/. Accessed October 25, 2020.
US Department of Agriculture. Refrigeration and food safety.https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/refrigeration. Accessed April 2, 2021.
The Consumer Goods Forum. Companies commit to simplify food date labels worldwide by 2020, reducing food waste.https://www.theconsumergoodsforum.com/press_releases/companies-commit-to-simplify-food-date-labels-worldwide-by-2020-reducing-food-waste/. Accessed October 25, 2020.
US Food and Drug Administration. US Food and Drug Administration letter to food industry.https://www.fda.gov/media/125114/download. Accessed October 25, 2020.
US Department of Agriculture. Food product dating.https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/food-product-dating. Accessed April 2, 2021.
US Environmental Protection Agency. Winning on reducing food waste federal interagency strategy.https://www.epa.gov/sustainable-management-food/winning-reducing-food-waste-federal-interagency-strategy. Accessed October 25, 2020.
Library of Congress. H.R.3981 - Food Date Labeling Act of 2019.https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3981. Accessed April 21, 2021.
- Moderating effect of group cue while processing news on immigration: is the framing effect a heuristic process?.J Commun. 2009; 59: 726-749
- Value resonance and value framing effects on voting intentions in direct-democratic campaigns.Am Behav Sci. 2012; 56: 334-352
- Economic individualism, humanitarianism, and welfare reform: a value-based account of framing effects.J Commun. 2005; 55: 795-809
- Using narrative communication as a tool for health behavior change: a conceptual, theoretical, and empirical overview.Health Educ Behav. 2007; 34: 777-792
- Wasted food: U.S. consumers’ reported awareness, attitudes, and behaviors.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0127881
- The perceived effectiveness of persuasive messages: questions of structure, referent, and bias.J Health Commun. 2008; 13: 149-168
- Demographics and dynamics of Mechanical Turk workers.in: WSDM ’18: Proceedings of the Eleventh ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining. Association for Computing Machinery, 2018: 135-143
- Running experiments on Amazon Mechanical Turk.Judgm Decis Mak. 2010; 5: 411-419
- Constructing Grounded Theory. A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis.Sage Publications, London, UK2006
- A National Strategy to Reduce Food Waste at the Consumer Level.The National Academies Press, 2020
Pennsylvania Code & Bulletin. 7 Pa. Code chapter 59A. Milk sanitation.https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/007/chapter59a/chap59atoc.html. Accessed October 25, 2020.
- Industry versus government regulation of food date labels: observed adherence to industry-endorsed phrases.Sustainability. 2019; 11: 7183
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.