Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Dictionary by Merriam-Webster. BIPOC.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/BIPOC. Accessed July 16, 2021.
- Achieving breastfeeding equity and justice in Black communities: past, present, and future.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 447-451
- Gendered racism and the sexual and reproductive health of Black and Latina women.Ethn Health. 2020; 25: 367-392
- Breastfeeding sisters that are receiving support: community-based peer support program created for and by women of color.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 165-170
- Shattering silence: exploring barriers to disclosure for African American sexual assault survivors.Trauma Violence Abuse. 2010; 11: 59-70
- Black maternal and infant health: historical legacies of slavery.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1342-1345
- The ethics of perinatal care for Black women: dismantling the structural racism in “Mother Blame” narratives.J Perinat Neonat Nurs. 2019; 33: 108-115
Cambridge Dictionary. Institutionalized racism.https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/institutionalized-racism. Accessed July 12, 2021.
- Racial & ethnic disparities in U.S. breastfeeding & implications for maternal & child health outcomes.Semin Perinatol. 2017; 41: 299-307
- Racial disparities in breastfeeding initiation and duration among U.S. infants born in 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 745-748
- Breastfeeding trends by race/ethnicity among US children born from 2009 to 2015.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173e193319
- Racial and ethnic disparities in breastfeeding.Breastfeed Med. 2015; 10: 186-196
- Disparities in breastfeeding: impact on maternal and child health outcomes and costs.J Pediatr. 2017; 181: 49-55.e6
- The influence of social networks and norms on breastfeeding in African American and Caucasian mothers: a qualitative study.Breastfeed Med. 2019; 14: 640-647
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2030. Increase the proportions of infants who are breastfed at 1 year-MICH-16.https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/infants/increase-proportion-infants-who-are-breastfed-1-year-mich-16. Accessed September 15, 2021.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breastfeeding facts. https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/facts.html. Accessed April 30, 2021.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Breastfeeding rates (National Immunization Survey).https://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/data/nis_data/results.html. Accessed August 25, 2021.
- Suboptimal breastfeeding in the United States: maternal and pediatric health outcomes and costs.Matern Child Nutr. 2017; 13: e12366
- Experiences of racism and breastfeeding initiation and duration among first-time mothers of the Black women's health study.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2018; 5: 1180-1191
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Violence prevention: the Social-Ecological Model.https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/about/social-ecologicalmodel.html. Accessed August 25, 2021.
- Enhancing breastfeeding through healthcare support: results from a focus group study of African American mothers.Matern Child Health J. 2016; 20: 92-102
- Social ecological approaches to individuals & their contexts: twenty years of health education & behavior health promotion interventions.Health Educ Behav. 2012; 39: 364-372
- Introduction to Health Promotion.Wiley, 2014
- Critical Race Theory, race equity, and public health: toward antiracism praxis.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: S30-S35
- Critical Race Theory: An Introduction.3rd ed. New York University Press, 2017
Blakemore E. How the GI Bill's promise was denied to a million Black WWII veterans.https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits. Accessed July 13, 2021.
Frey S. Black and white veterans and the GI bill.https://journeys.dartmouth.edu/censushistory/2016/10/31/black-and-white-veterans-and-the-gi-bill/. Accessed July 13, 2021.
- Impact of the baby-friendly hospital initiative on breastfeeding and child health outcomes: a systematic review.Matern Child Nutr. 2016; 12: 402-417
- Infant feeding exposure and personal experiences of African American mothers.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 124-130
- Disparities in breastfeeding among U.S. Black mothers: identification of mechanisms.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 140-149
- Perceptions and practices of infant feeding among African American women.Ecol Food Nutr. 2019; 58: 301-316
- A pilot study of a culturally grounded breastfeeding intervention for pregnant, low-income African American women.J Hum Lact. 2018; 34: 478-484
- Interventions to improve breastfeeding self-efficacy and resultant breastfeeding rates: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Hum Lact. 2017; 33: 486-499
- Infant feeding decision-making and the influences of social support persons among first-time African American mothers.Matern Child Health J. 2017; 21: 863-872
- Determinants of breastfeeding initiation and duration among African American DC WIC recipients: perspectives of recent mothers.Womens Health Issues. 2019; 29: 513-521
- Impact of breastfeeding interventions among United States minority women on breastfeeding outcomes: a systematic review.Int J Equity Health. 2021; 20: 72
- An intergenerational exploration of breastfeeding journeys through the lens of African American mothers and grandmothers.J Hum Lact. 2021; 37: 289-300
- Addressing racial inequities in breastfeeding in the Southern United States.Pediatrics. 2019; 143e20181897
- Long-term breastfeeding in African American mothers.J Hum Lact. 2017; 33: 128-139
- Using group model building to develop a culturally grounded model of breastfeeding for low-income African American women in the USA.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 3363-3376
- Nurses’ attitudes, subjective norms, and behavioral intentions toward support of breastfeeding mothers.J Hum Lact. 2000; 16: 201-209
- Understanding concordance in patient-physician relationships: personal and ethnic dimensions of shared identity.Ann Fam Med. 2008; 6: 198-205
- Finding common ground: can provider-patient race concordance and self-disclosure bolster patient trust, perceptions, and intentions?.J Racial Ethn Health Disparities. 2019; 6: 962-972
- One step for a hospital, ten steps for women: African American women's experiences in a newly accredited baby-friendly hospital.J Hum Lact. 2018; 34: 184-191
- WIC peer counselors’ perceptions of breastfeeding in African American women with lower incomes.J Hum Lact. 2015; 31: 99-110
- Modesty and security: attributes associated with comfort and willingness to engage in telelactation.Children. 2021; 8: 271
- Association of social and community factors with U.S. breastfeeding outcomes.Breastfeed Med. 2020; 15: 646-654
- Understanding the racialized breastfeeding experiences among Black millennials.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 481-486
- Racism, bias, and discrimination as modifiable barriers to breastfeeding for African American women: a scoping review of the literature.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2019; 64: 734-742
- “Why even bother; They are not going to do it?” The structural roots of racism and discrimination in lactation care.Qual Health Res. 2018; 28: 1050-1064
- Implicit bias in healthcare professionals: a systematic review.BMC Med Ethics. 2017; 18: 19
- Promoting equity in breastfeeding through peer counseling: the US Breastfeeding Heritage and Pride program.Int J Equity Health. 2021; 20: 128
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System.https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-mortality-surveillance-system.htm. Accessed August 15, 2021.
- Breastfeeding disparities and their mediators in an urban birth cohort of Black and White mothers.Breastfeed Med. 2021; 16: 452-462
- The role of equity in US states’ breastfeeding policies.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 908-910
- Increasingly segregated and unequal schools as courts reverse policy.Educ Admin Q. 2014; 50: 718-734
US Department of Health & Human Services. Are breast pumps covered by the Affordable Care Act?https://www.hhs.gov/answers/affordable-care-act/are-breast-pumps-covered-by-the-affordable-care-act/index.html. Accessed August 15, 2021.
- It takes an e-village: supporting African American mothers in sustaining breastfeeding through Facebook communities.J Hum Lact. 2019; 35: 569-582
- Racial disparities in access to maternity care practices that support breastfeeding - United States, 2011.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 725-728
- Breastfeeding in the community: addressing disparities through policy, systems, and environmental changes interventions.J Hum Lact. 2018; 34: 262-271
- Redesigning racial caste in America via mass incarceration.J Psychohist. 2015; 43: 120-133
- Social justice at the core of breastfeeding protection, promotion and support: a conceptualization.J Hum Lact. 2018; 34: 220-225
- Breastfeeding and the Affordable Care Act.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2015; 62: 1071-1091
- Paid maternity leave in the United States: associations with maternal and infant health.Matern Child Health J. 2018; 22: 216-225
- Maternity leave and its impact on breastfeeding: a review of the literature.Breastfeed Med. 2018; 13: 589-597
Taylor J, Novoa C, Hamm K, Phadke S. Eliminating racial disparities in maternal and infant mortality: a comprehensive policy blueprint.https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2019/05/02/469186/eliminating-racial-disparities-maternal-infant-mortality/. Accessed August 25, 2021.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.