Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusion and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Martinez SM, Webb K, Frongillo EA, Ritchie LD. Food insecurity in California's public university system: What are the risk factors? J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2018;13:1–18.
Nazmi A, Martinez S, Byrd A, et al. A systematic review of food insecurity among US students in higher education. J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2019;14:725–740.
- The struggle is real: a systematic review of food insecurity on postsecondary education campuses.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 1767-1791
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2019.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2020Accessed February 28, 2022)
UC Global Food Initiative. Global Food Initiative: Food and Housing Security at the University of California. University of California; 2017. https://www.ucop.edu/global-food-initiative/_files/food-housing-security.pdf. Accessed July 27, 2020.
Hanson M. Pell Grant statistics. EducationData.org; 2021. https://educationdata.org/pell-grant-statistics. Accessed March 1, 2022.
Johnson H, Murphy P, Weston M, Cook K. Higher education in California: institutional costs. https://www.ppic.org/publication/higher-education-in-california-institutional-costs/. Accessed March 1, 2022.
Legislative Analyst's Office. California's high housing costs: causes and consequences. https://lao.ca.gov/reports/2015/finance/housing-costs/housing-costs.aspx. Accessed February 28, 2022.
- Hungry to learn: the prevalence and effects of food insecurity on health behaviors and outcomes over time among a diverse sample of university freshmen.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018; 15: 9
- Food insecure student clients of a university-based food bank have compromised health, dietary intake and academic quality.Nutr Diet. 2017; 74: 67-73
- Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among US college students: a multi-institutional study.BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 660
- The prevalence of food security and insecurity among Illinois university students.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48 (e1): 376-382
- Food insecurity among community college students: prevalence and association with grade point average.Commun Coll J Res Pract. 2015; 39: 515-526
- College students and SNAP: the new face of food insecurity in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2019; 109: 1652-1658
US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Students. https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/students. Accessed September 11, 2020.
Treisman R. New SNAP rule impacts college students by limiting benefits and adding confusion. NPR. https://www.npr.org/2019/12/21/789295697/new-snap-rule-impacts-college-students-by-limiting-benefits-and-adding-confusion. Accessed August 27, 2020.
Roberts SV. Food stamps program: how it grew and how Regan wants to cut it back; the budget targets. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/04/us/food-stamps-program-it-grew-reagan-wants-cut-it-back-budget-targets.html. Accessed February 28, 2022.
US Government Accountability Office. Food insecurity: better information could help eligible college students access federal food assistance benefits. https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-19-95. Accessed February 28, 2022.
National Center for Education Statistics. Enrollment. https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=98. Accessed March 23, 2021.
- Changing U. S. demographics and American higher education.New Directions for Higher Education. 2003; 2003: 3-12
University of California. Fall enrollment at a glance. University of California; 2020.https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/fall-enrollment-glance. Accessed March 23, 2021.
The Century Foundation. Pathways to simplify and expand SNAP access for California college students. https://tcf.org/content/report/pathways-simplify-expand-snap-access-california-college-students/. Accessed March 29, 2021.
- Rethinking SNAP Benefits for College Students.Young Invincibles. 2018; (Accessed March 1, 2022)
- Saturation in qualitative research: exploring its conceptualization and operationalization.Qual Quant. 2018; 52: 1893-1907
Esaryk EE, Moffat LF, Ritchie LD, Martinez SM. Helping college students get SNAP: Facilitators of and barriers to students accessing the federal nutrition assistance program. J Nutr Educ Behav. (In press).
- Conducting in-depth interviews with and without voice recorders: a comparative analysis.Qual Res. 2020; 20: 565-581
- A general inductive approach for analyzing qualitative evaluation data.Am J Eval. 2006; 27: 237-246
- Grounded theory research: a design framework for novice researchers.SAGE Open Med. 2019; 72050312118822927
- A method of analysing interview transcripts in qualitative research.Nurse Educ Today. 1991; 11: 461-466
- The Qualitative Researcher's Companion.SAGE Publications, Inc, 2002
US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Public charge. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge. February 28, 2022.
US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).https://www.uscis.gov/DACA. Accessed March 23, 2022.
S.774 - Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2007, 110th Congress (2007-2008).https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/senate-bill/774. Accessed March 23, 2022.
The Dream Act: An Overview.https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/dream-act-overview. Accessed March 23, 2022.
Martinez SM, Esaryk EE, Moffat L, Ritchie L. Redefining basic needs for higher education: It's more than minimal food and housing according to California university students. Am J Health Promot. 2021;35:818–834.
Gomez J. H.R.1919 - EATS Act of 2021. https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1919. Accessed May 3, 2021.
- Trends in food insecurity among California residents from 2001 to 2011: inequities at the intersection of immigration status and ethnicity.Prev Med. 2017; 105: 142-148
Hurtado M. SB-464 California Food Assistance Program: eligibility and benefits. California Legislative Information.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220SB464. Accessed May 11, 2021.
Skinner N. AB-1930: public postsecondary education: University of California and California State University: student eligibility policy. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billStatusClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB1930. Accessed April 7, 2021.
The Hope Center. #REALCOLLEGE 2021: basic needs insecurity during the ongoing pandemic.https://hope4college.com/rc2021-bni-during-the-ongoing-pandemic/. Accessed July 29, 2021.
- More than One in Six Adults Were Food Insecure Two Months into the COVID-19 Recession.The Urban Institute, 2020https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/102579/more-than-one-in-six-adults-were-food-insecure-two-months-into-the-covid-19-recession.pdf(Accessed July 29, 2021)
Cuellar H. H.R.133 - Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/133/text. Accessed March 23, 2021.
Gabriel J. AB-396 CalFresh: educational programs.https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB396. Accessed May 3, 2021.
California Department of Social Services. All county Letter No. 21–58. California Department of Social Services; 2021. https://cdss.ca.gov/Portals/9/Additional-Resources/Letters-and-Notices/ACLs/2021/21-58.pdf. Accessed May 28, 2021.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.