Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015–2020.8th ed. USDA, 2015
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020–2025.9th ed. 2020 (USDA; 2020)
- Added sugars intake across the distribution of US children and adult consumers: 1977–2012.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116 (1543–1550.e1)
- The development of basic taste sensitivity and preferences in children.Appetite. 2018; 127: 130-137
- Association of added sugars intake with micronutrient adequacy in US children and adolescents: NHANES 2009–2014.Curr Dev Nutr. 2019; 3: nzz126
- Adverse effect of high added sugar consumption on dietary intake in American preschoolers.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 105-111
- Consumption of added sugar among U.S. children and adolescents, 2005–2008.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; : 1-8
- Long-term health impact of early nutrition: the power of programming.Ann Nutr Metab. 2017; 70: 161-169
- Breastfeeding duration in a low-income sample is associated with child diet quality at age three.J Hum Lact. 2021; 37: 183-193
- The association of sugar-sweetened beverage intake during infancy with sugar-sweetened beverage intake at 6 years of age.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: S56-S62
- Sugar-sweetened beverage and water intake in relation to diet quality in US children.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 54: 394-402
- Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among U.S. youth, 2011–2014.NCHS Data Brief. 2017; : 1-8
US Department of Agriculture. Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, Supplemental Foods, 7 C.F.R. § 246.10 2022. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-7/subtitle-B/chapter-II/subchapter-A/part-246/subpart-D/section-246.10. Accessed March 11, 2022.
US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. WIC nutrition services standards.https://wicworks.fns.usda.gov/resources/wic-nutrition-services-standards. Accessed March 10, 2021.
Federal Register. Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC): revisions in the WIC food packages.https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2007/12/06/E7-23033/special-supplemental-nutrition-program-for-women-infants-and-children-wic-revisions-in-the-wic-food. Accessed on Janaury 10, 2022.
- Effects of reduced juice allowances in food packages for the women, infants, and children program.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 919-927
- Juice and water intake in infancy and later beverage intake and adiposity: could juice be a gateway drink?.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 170-176
Weinfield NS, Borger C, Zimmerman T, et al. WIC Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study-2: third year report. USDA; 2019. https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource-files/WIC-ITFPS2-Year3Report.pdf. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in children: the interplay of household SNAP and WIC participation.Am J Prev Med. 2021; 61: 665-673
- Longer participation in WIC is associated with better diet quality in 24-month-old children.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 963-971
- Duration of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) participation is associated with children's diet quality at age 3 years.Am J Prev Med. 2022; 62: e343-e350
- The role of added sugars in pediatric obesity.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2011; 58: 1455-1466
- Added sugars and cardiovascular disease risk in children: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2017; 135: e1017-e1034
- WIC Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study: protocol design and implementation.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 742S-746S
- An overview of USDA's dietary intake data system.J Food Compos Anal. 2004; 17: 545-555
- The population distribution of ratios of usual intakes of dietary components that are consumed every day can be estimated from repeated 24-hour recalls.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 111-116
- Infant feeding practices and food consumption patterns of children participating in WIC.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: S29-S37
- Usual nutrient intakes from the diets of US children by WIC participation and income: findings from the Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study (FITS) 2016.J Nutr. 2018; 148: 1567S-1574S
Kline N, Thorn B, Bellows D, Wroblewska K, Wilcox-Cook E. WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2018: Final Report. USDA; 2020.https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource-files/WICPC2018.pdf. Accessed March 11, 2022.
- Transitions into and out of the WIC program: a cause for concern?.Soc Serv Rev. 2009; 83: 151-183
- Fruit juice in infants, children, and adolescents: current recommendations.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20170967
Regulatory Information. Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC): revisions in the WIC food packages.https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202110&RIN=0584-AE82. Accessed February 4, 2022.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.