Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Household Food Security in the United States in 2019. US Department of Agriculture.Economic Research Service. 2020; (Accessed December 17, 2020)
- The role of food banks in addressing food insecurity: a systematic review.J Community Health. 2016; 41: 732-740
Hanner K. “Meating” the client need for protein.https://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-blog/meating-the-client-need-for. Accessed May 15, 2021.
- The dietary quality of food pantry users: a systematic review of existing literature.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2017; 117: 563-576
- Unprocessed red and processed meats and risk of coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes-an updated review of the evidence.Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2012; 14: 515-524
- The storage and preservation of meat: II–Nonthermal technologies.in: Toldra F Lawrie's Meat Science. 8th ed. Woodhead Publishing, 2017: 231-263
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FoodData Central. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- Hunters giving to those in need. Hunters for the Hungry.2021 (https://hfth.nra.org/. Accessed April 20, 2021)
Biermaier R. Wild game: the other red meat. University of Wyoming Extension.https://uwyoextension.org/uwnutrition/newsletters/wild-game/. Accessed March 31, 2022.
- 2016 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation.US Fish and Wildlife Service, 2018Accessed March 14, 2021)
- Reported US wild game consumption and greenhouse gas emissions savings.Hum Dimens Wildl. 2021; 26: 65-75
US Department of Health & Human Services. Human Subject Regulations Decision Charts.http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/policy/checklists/decisioncharts.html#c1. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Availability of food options and nutrition education in local food pantries.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 492-502
Weinfield N, Mills G, Borger C, et al. Hunger in America 2014. National Report. Feeding America; 2014.http://help.feedingamerica.org/HungerInAmerica/hunger-in-america-2014-full-report.pdf. Accessed March 17, 2021.
- Frequency of food pantry use is associated with diet quality among Indiana food pantry clients.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1703-1712
- Healthy eating research nutrition guidelines for the charitable food system.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: A68
Rail K. Nutritional values of venison vs. beef. Healthy Eating, SFGate.https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutritional-values-venison-vs-beef-2229.html. Accessed June 26, 2021.
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FoodData Central Search Results.https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1098394/nutrients. Accessed June 14, 2021.
America Meat Institute. Processed Meats: Convenience, Nutrition, Taste.https://www.meatinstitute.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/94559%2520date:1-5. Accessed June 15, 2021.
World Health Organization. Cancer: carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat.https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/cancer-carcinogenicity-of-the-consumption-of-red-meat-and-processed-meat. Accessed June 26, 2021.
- Processor participation requirements - venison donation program.2021Accessed April 30, 2021)
Totoni S. Exempt from inspection: states ignore lead-contaminated meat in food banks. Environmental Health News.https://www.ehn.org/lead-in-donated-venison-meat-2648176251.html. Accessed May 13, 2021.
- Hunting with lead: association between blood lead levels and wild game consumption.Environ Res. 2009; 109: 952-959
- Lead content in wild game shot with lead or non-lead ammunition – does “state of the art consumer health protection” require non-lead ammunition?.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0200792
- Lead exposure through eating wild game.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 457-458
- Health Consultation. The Potential for Ingestion Exposure to Lead Fragments in Venison in Wisconsin.US Department of Health and Human Services, 2008Accessed May 12, 2021)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Populations at higher risk. https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/prevention/populations.htm. Accessed April 21, 2021.
Nemani SK, Myskiw JL, Lamoureux L, Booth SA, Sim VL. Exposure risk of chronic wasting disease in humans. Viruses. 2020;12:1454.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology. Chronic wasting disease (CWD) - prevention. Updated October 18, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/prevention.html. Accessed April 5, 2022.
Ontario Ministry of Health, Ministry of Long-Term Care. Food safety.https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/publichealth/foodsafety/faq.aspx#4. Accessed April 21, 2021.
US Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service. FSIS Guideline to Assist with the Donation of Eligible Meat & Poultry Products to Non-Profit Organizations. US Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service; 2020.https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-01/FSIS-Guideline-Food-Donation.pdf. Accessed January 2, 2022.
- Barriers and facilitators to healthy eating among adult food bank users.West J Nurs Res. 2021; 43: 660-667
Mellendorf C. Deer donation program to expand food access in twelve central Illinois counties. Illinois Extension.https://extension.illinois.edu/news-releases/deer-donation-program-expand-food-access-twelve-central-illinois-counties. Accessed October 29, 2021.
- The COVID-19 pandemic: a watershed moment to strengthen food security across the US food system.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1133-1134
- Prioritizing nutrition security in the US.JAMA. 2021; 325: 1605-1606
- Cultivating sustainable, resilient, and healthy food and water systems: a nutrition-focused framework for action.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2020; 120: 1057-1067
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.