Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Review of childhood obesity: from epidemiology, etiology, and comorbidities to clinical assessment and treatment.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 251-265
- Energy balance and obesity: what are the main drivers?.Cancer Causes Control. 2017; 28: 247-258
- Community food environment, home food environment, and fruit and vegetable intake of children and adolescents.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 634-638
- Model of the home food environment pertaining to childhood obesity.Nutr Rev. 2008; 66: 123-140
- Home food environment in relation to children's diet quality and weight status.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114 (e1): 1569-1579
- Associations between parental report of the home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods.Public Health Nutr. 2005; 8: 77-85
- Home matters: adolescents drink more sugar-sweetened beverages when available at home.J Pediatr. 2018; 202: 121-128
- Parental eating behaviours, home food environment and adolescent intakes of fruits, vegetables and dairy foods: longitudinal findings from Project EAT.Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10: 1257-1265
- Relationship between the home environment and fruit and vegetable consumption in children aged 6–12 years: a systematic review.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 464-480
- Food reinforcement and eating: a multilevel analysis.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 884-906
- Sugar-sweetened beverage (SSB) consumption is associated with lower quality of the non-SSB diet in US adolescents and young adults.Am J Clin Nutr. 2021; 113: 657-664
- At-home environment, out-of-home environment, snacks and sweetened beverages intake in preadolescence, early and mid-adolescence: the interplay between environment and self-regulation.J Youth Adolesc. 2013; 42: 1873-1883
- Trends in diet quality among youth in the United States, 1999–2016.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1161-1174
- The influence of parental practices on child promotive and preventive food consumption behaviors: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017; 14: 47
- Food insecurity, diet quality, home food availability, and health risk behaviors among emerging adults: findings from the EAT 2010–2018 study.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1422-1428
- Availability, accessibility, and preferences for fruit, 100% fruit juice, and vegetables influence children's dietary behavior.Health Educ Behav. 2003; 30: 615-626
- School-based secondary prevention of overweight and obesity among 8- to 12-year old children: design and sample characteristics of the SNAPSHOT trial.Contemp Clin Trials. 2018; 75: 9-18
- Changes in body mass during elementary and middle school in a national cohort of kindergarteners.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e1411-e1417
- Identifying risk for obesity in early childhood.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e594-e601
- School-based secondary obesity prevention for eight- to twelve-year-olds: results from the students, nurses, and parents seeking healthy options together randomized trial.Child Obes. 2021; 17: 185-195
- The effectiveness of a short form of the Household Food Security Scale.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 1231-1234
- Associations of home food availability, dietary intake, screen time and physical activity with BMI in young American-Indian children.Public Health Nutr. 2013; 16: 146-155
- An after-school obesity prevention program for African-American girls: the Minnesota GEMS pilot study.Ethn Dis. 2003; 13: S54-S64
US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020–2025. 9th ed. USDA, US Department of Health and Human Services; 2020. https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov. Accessed November 1, 2021.
- Review of 100% fruit juice and chronic health conditions: implications for sugar-sweetened beverage policy.Adv Nutr. 2018; 9: 78-85
- Fruit juice and change in BMI: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20162454
- Section on Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Committee on Nutrition. Fruit juice in infants, children, and adolescents: current recommendations.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20170967
Taber KS. The use of Cronbach's alpha when developing and reporting research instruments in science education. Res Sci Educ. 2018;48:1273–1296.
- Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual.Human Kinetics Books, 1991
Kuczmarski RJ, Ogden CL, Guo SS, et al. 2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: methods and development. Vital Health Stat 11. 2002;246:1–190.
- Comparison of multiple-pass 24-hour recall estimates of energy intake with total energy expenditure determined by the doubly labeled water method in young children.J Am Diet Assoc. 1996; 96: 1140-1144
National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute. Dietary assessment primer. https://dietassessmentprimer.cancer.gov/. Accessed November 3, 2021.
- Maintenance of a nutrient database for clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1989; 10: 416-425
- Computerized collection and analysis of dietary intake information.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 1989; 30: 47-57
- Update of the healthy eating index: HEI-2015.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018; 118: 1591-1602
- Home food availability, parental dietary intake, and familial eating habits influence the diet quality of urban Hispanic children.Child Obes. 2014; 10: 408-415
- Added sugars and cardiovascular disease risk in children: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2017; 135: e1017-e1034
- Overweight children find food more reinforcing and consume more energy than do nonoverweight children.Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 87: 1121-1127
- Healthy eating: approaching the selection, preparation, and consumption of healthy food as choice behavior.Perspect Behav Sci. 2019; 42: 647-674
- Food insecurity and food supplies in Latino households with young children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 148-153
- Diet quality and fruit, vegetable, and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption by household food insecurity among 8- to 12-year-old children during summer months.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1695-1702
- Household food insecurity and home food availability in relation to youth diet, body mass index, and adiposity.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2019; 119: 1666-1675
- Prevalence and characteristics of misreporting of energy intake in US children and adolescents: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003–2012.Br J Nutr. 2016; 115: 294-304
US Department of Agriculture. Are you making every bite count? Take the MyPlate Quiz to find out! https://www.choosemyplate.gov. Accessed November 10, 2021.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.