Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Food and Agriculture Organization. Panorama de la Seguridad Alimentaria y Nutricional en América Latina y el Caribe 2020. FAO, OPS, WFP, and UNICEF; 2020.https://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/cb2242es. Accessed June 18, 2021.
Global Nutrition Report. Country nutrition profiles. https://globalnutritionreport.org/resources/nutrition-profiles/latin-america-and-caribbean/south-america/chile/. Accessed June 24, 2021.
- Health impacts of obesity.Pak J Med Sci. 2015; 31: 239-242
- Body mass index patterns over 5 y in obese children motivated to participate in a 1-y lifestyle intervention: age as a predictor of long-term success.Am J Clin Nutr. 2010; 91: 1165-1171
- Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding context.Appetite. 2005; 44: 83-92
- Parental feeding attitudes and styles and child body mass index: prospective analysis of a gene-environment interaction.Pediatrics. 2004; 114: e429-e436
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthy places: general food environment resources.https://www.cdc.gov/healthyplaces/healthtopics/healthyfood/general.htm. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Parent behavior and child weight status among a diverse group of underserved rural families.Appetite. 2010; 54: 369-377
- Feeding styles and child weight status among recent immigrant mother-child dyads.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012; 9: 62
- Eating behaviour and weight in children.Int J Obes (Lond). 2009; 33: 21-28
- Association between eating behavior scores and obesity in Chilean children.Nutr J. 2011; 10: 108
- Continuity and stability of eating behaviour traits in children.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008; 62: 985-990
- Eating behavior.in: Gellman MD Turner JR Encyclopedia of Behavioral Medicine. Springer, 2013: 641-642
IGI Global. What is eating behavior. https://www.igi-global.com/dictionary/eating-behavior/76095. Accessed December 17, 2021.
- Food approach and food avoidance in young children: relation with reward sensitivity and punishment sensitivity.Front Psychol. 2016; 7: 928
- Eating behavior and body composition across childhood: a prospective cohort study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2018; 15: 96
- Eating behavior dimensions. Associations with energy intake and body weight. A review.Appetite. 2012; 59: 541-549
- Differences in eating style between overweight and normal-weight youngsters.J Health Psychol. 2008; 13: 733-743
- Cultural differences in parental feeding practices and children's eating behaviours and their relationships with child BMI: a comparison of Black Afro-Caribbean, White British and White German samples.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013; 67: 180-184
- Does parenting affect children's eating and weight status?.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 15
Polanco SG. Región Metropolitana de Santiago Índice de Prioridad Social de Comunas 2017. Secretaria Regional Ministerial de Desarrollo Social; 2017.https://www.desarrollosocialyfamilia.gob.cl/storage/docs/INDICE_DE_PRIORIDAD_SOCIAL_2017.pdf. Accessed June 21, 2021.
- Norma técnica para la supervisión de niños y niñas de 0 a 9 años en la atención primaria de salud.Government of Chile, 2014https://www.minsal.cl/sites/default/files/files/2014_Norma%20T%C3%A9cnica%20para%20la%20supervisi%C3%B3n%20de%20ni%C3%B1os%20y%20ni%C3%B1as%20de%200%20a%209%20en%20APS_web(1).pdf(Accessed June 28, 2021)
World Health Organization. Child growth standards. https://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/. Accessed June 2, 2021.
World Health Organization. Growth reference data for 5–19 years. https://www.who.int/growthref/en/. Accessed June 21, 2021.
World Health Organization. Body mass index - BMI. https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/nutrition/a-healthy-lifestyle/body-mass-index-bmi. Accessed August 1, 2021.
- Development of the children's eating behaviour questionnaire.J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2001; 42: 963-970
- Indulgent feeding style and children's weight status in preschool.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2008; 29: 403-410
- Early life risk factors for obesity in childhood: cohort study.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1357
- Social class, parental education, and obesity prevalence in a study of six-year-old children in Germany.Int J Obes (Lond). 2005; 29: 373-380
- Feeding practices of low-income mothers: how do they compare to current recommendations?.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 34
- The benefits of authoritative feeding style: caregiver feeding styles and children's food consumption patterns.Appetite. 2005; 44: 243-249
- Parental overweight, socioeconomic status and high birth weight are the major determinants of overweight and obesity in 5–7 y-old children: baseline data of the Kiel Obesity Prevention Study (KOPS).Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004; 28: 1494-1502
- Uninvolved maternal feeding style moderates the association of emotional overeating to preschoolers’ body mass index z-scores.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48 (e1): 530-537
- Emotional climate, feeding practices, and feeding styles: an observational analysis of the dinner meal in Head Start families.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 60
- Parents’ perceptions of preschool children's ability to regulate eating. Feeding style differences.Appetite. 2014; 76: 166-174
- Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the Chilean diet (2010).Public Health Nutr. 2018; 21: 125-133
- Encuesta Nacional de Consumo Alimentario.Universidad de Chile, 2018Accessed June 30, 2021)
- Associations among parental feeding styles and children's food intake in families with limited incomes.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2009; 6: 55
- Fundamental constructs in food parenting practices: a content map to guide future research.Nutr Rev. 2016; 74: 98-117
- Parental influence on eating behavior: conception to adolescence.J Law Med Ethics. 2007; 35: 22-34
†Work was completed by Marcela Vizcarra while working at the University of Ilinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.