Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. https://www.sneb.org. Accessed May 7, 2022.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 8th ed. US Department of Health and Human Services, US Department of Agriculture; 2015. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines.
- Promoting Healthy Diets Through Nutrition Education and Changes in the Food Environment: An International Review of Actions And Their Effectiveness.Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2013
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Second International Conference on Nutrition; 2014. FAO and WHO; 2014. https://www.fao.org/3/mm215e/mm215e.pdf. Accessed May 7, 2022.
Food and Agriculture Organization, World Health Organization. United Nations Decade of Action on Nutrition 2016–2025 Work Programme. FAO and WHO; 2018.https://www.un.org/nutrition/sites/www.un.org.nutrition/files/general/pdf/work_programme_nutrition_decade.pdf. Accessed May 7, 2022.
- School-Based Food and Nutrition Education – A White Paper on the Current State, Principles, Challenges and Recommendations for Low- and Middle-Income Countries. FAO; 2020.2020https://doi.org/10.4060/cb2064en (Accessed March 7, 2022)
- Nutrition Education: Linking Research, Theory, and Practice.4th ed. Jones and Bartlett Learning, 2021
- Accreditation standards for bachelors degree in nutrition and dietetics (FB) future education model.Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2012https://www.eatrightpro.org/acend/accreditation-standards-fees-and-policies/future-education-model-standards-and-templates-v2022/rationale-for-future-education-of-nutrition-and-dietetics-practitioners(Accessed May 7, 2022)
- ACEND Accreditation Standards for Nutrition and Dietetics Graduate Degree Programs (GP) (Future Education Model). Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.2021
- ACEND Accreditation Standards for Nutrition and Dietetics Internship Programs (DI).Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2022
- Curriculum mapping: a method to assess and refine undergraduate degree programs.J Food Sci Educ. 2016; 15: 83-100
- Food for thought: developing curricula for sustainable food systems education programs.Agroecol Sustain Food Syst. 2014; 38: 722-743
- An experience-based learning framework: activities for the initial development of sustainability competencies.Int J Sustain High Educ. 2016; 17: 827-852
- Competencies for effective public health nutrition practice: a developing consensus.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 683-691
Public Health Foundation. Core competencies for public health professionals. 2021. http://www.phf.org/resourcestools/pages/core_public_health_competencies.aspx. Accessed March 7, 2022.
Society for Public Health Education. Strategic plan 2017–2020 for Public Health Education. SOPHEhttps://www.sophe.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/StrategicPlan2017_LoRes.pdf. Accessed May 7, 2022.
- EFNEP & SNAP-Ed Paraprofessional Educator Core Competencies. Cooperative Extension; 2021.2020https://www.nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/LGU%20EFNEP%20and%20SNAP-Ed%20Paraprofessional%20Educator%20Core%20Competencies.pdf(Accessed May 7, 2022)
- Recommendations of the Society for Nutrition Education on the academic preparation of the nutrition education specialists.J Nutr Educ. 1987; 19: 209-210
- Theory as mediating variables: why aren't community interventions working as desired?.Ann Epidemiol. 1997; 7: S89-S95
- Review of nutrition education research in the Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 1998 to 2007.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2008; 40: 331-340
- Understanding and changing health behaviour: from health beliefs to self-regulation.in: Norman P Abraham C Connor M Understanding and Changing Health Behavior From Health Beliefs to Self-Regulation. Routledge, 2000: 19-40
- Psychosocial correlates of dietary intake: advancing dietary intervention.Annu Rev Nutr. 1999; 19: 17-40
- Challenges and Issues In Nutrition Education. Nutrition Education and Consumer Awareness Group.Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2013
- Improving implementation of school-based healthy eating and physical activity policies, practices, and programs: a systematic review.Transl Behav Med. 2021; 11: 1365-1410
United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Physical activity guidelines for Americans. 2nd ed. US Department of Health and Human Services; 2018.https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf.
- Dietary guidelines for sustainability: twelve years later.J Nutr Educ. 1999; 31: 194-200
- Teaching food system sustainability in dietetic programs: need, conceptualization, and practical approaches.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2011; 6: 114-124
United States Department of Agriculture. New products. Economic Research Service. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-markets-prices/processing-marketing/new-products/. Accessed. March 7, 2022.
- Systematic literature review on the spread of health-related misinformation on social media.Soc Sci Med. 2019; 240112552
- Source-specific exposure to contradictory nutrition information: documenting prevalence and effects on adverse cognitive and behavioral outcomes.Health Commun. 2018; 33: 453-461
- 2018 Food & Health Survey.Foodinsight.org, 2018Accessed March 7, 2022)
United States Department of Agriculture, United States Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. Scientific Report of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. USDA; 2015. https://health.gov/our-work/nutrition-physical-activity/dietary-guidelines/previous-dietary-guidelines/2015/advisory-report. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- A healthy Asian a posteriori dietary pattern correlates with a priori dietary patterns and is associated with cardiovascular disease risk factors in a multiethnic Asian population.J Nutr. 2018; 148: 616-623
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, International Fund for Agricultural Development, UNICEF, World Food Programme, World Health Organization. The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World: Repurposing Food and Agriculture Policies to Make Healthy Diets More Affordable. FAO; 2022.https://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/cc0639en.
2021 Global Nutrition Report: The State of Global Nutrition. Development Initiatives; 2021.https://globalnutritionreport.org/reports/2021-global-nutrition-report/.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Food-based dietary guidelines worldwide. http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-based-dietary-guidelines/regions/en/. Accessed. March 7, 2022.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Nutrition Across the Lifespan for Healthy Aging: Proceedings of a Workshop. The National Academies Press; 2017. https://doi.org/10.17226/24735.
US Department of Agriculture. Nutrition by life stage.https://www.nutrition.gov/topics/nutrition-age. Accessed August 27, 2022.
World Health Organization. WHO healthy diet - nutrition guidelines.https://www.who.int/initiatives/behealthy/healthy-diet. Accessed August 27, 2022.
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes: the Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements (2006). The National Academies Press; 2006. https://www.nap.edu/search/?term=Dietary+Reference+Intakes%3A+The+Essential+Guide+to+Nutrient+Requirements&x=18&y=16. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- America's Eating Habits: Food Away From Home, Economic Information Bulletin 281119.United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2018
d'Angelo C, Gloinson ER, Draper A, Guthrie S. Food Consumption in the UK: Trends, Attitudes and Drivers. RAND Corporation; 2020.https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR4379.html. Accessed August 27, 2022.
- Consumption of meals prepared away from home is associated with inadequacy of dietary fiber, vitamin C and mineral intake among Japanese adults: analysis from the 2015 National Health and Nutrition Survey.Nutr J. 2021; 20: 40
- Consumption frequency of foods away from home linked with higher body mass index and lower fruit and vegetable intake among adults: A cross-sectional study.J Environ Public Health. 2016; 20163074241
- Western-style fast food intake and cardiometabolic risk in an eastern country.Circulation. 2012; 126: 182-188
- Association between frequency of eating away-from-home meals and risk of all-cause and cause-specific mortality.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2021; 121 (e1): 1741-1749
Archuleta M, VanLeeuwen D, Halderson K, et al. Cooking schools improve nutrient intake patterns of people with type 2 diabetes. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012;44:319–325.
Garcia AL, Reardon R, McDonald M, Vargas-Garcia EJ. Community interventions to improve cooking skills and their effects on confidence and eating behaviour. Curr Nutr Rep. 2016;5:315–322.
Truman E, Lane D, Elliott C. Defining food literacy: a scoping review. Appetite. 2017; 116:365–371.
Vidgen HA, Gallegos D. Defining food literacy and its components. Appetite. 2014;76:50–59.
Monteiro CA, Moubarac JC, Cannon G, Ng SW, Popkin B. Ultra-processed products are becoming dominant in the global food system. Obes Rev. 2013;14:21–28.
Steele EM, Popkin BM, Swinburn B, Monteiro CA. The share of ultra-processed foods and the overall nutritional quality of diets in the US: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study. Popul Health Metr. 2017;15:6.
Garzillo JMF, Poli VFS, Leite FHM, Martinez-Steele E, Machado PP, Louzada MLC, et al. Ultra-processed food intake and diet carbon and water footprints: A national study in Brazil. Rev Saude Publica. 2022;56.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Foodborne germs and illnesses.https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/foodborne-germs.html. Accessed August 27, 2022.
World Health Organization. Food safety.http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/food-safety. Accessed August 27, 2022.
Losasso C, Cibin V, Cappa V, et al. Food safety and nutrition: improving consumer behaviour. Food Control. 2012;26:252–258.
Chan M. Food safety must accompany food and nutrition security. Lancet. 2014;384:1910–1911.
Reiner M, Niermann C, Jekauc D, et al. Long-term health benefits of physical activity – a systematic review of longitudinal studies. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:813.
Posadzki P, Pieper D, Bajpai R, et al. Exercise/physical activity and health outcomes: an overview of Cochrane systematic reviews. BMC Public Health. 2020;20:1724.
World Health Organization. Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. WHO; 2010.http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/factsheet_recommendations/en. Accessed March 7, 2022.
United States Department of Agriculture. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) Evaluation Framework: Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity Prevention Indicators. USDA; 2016. https://www.nccor.org/downloads/SNAP-EdEvaluationFrameworkInterpretiveGuide.PDF. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- Why combine diet and physical activity in the same international research society?.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2004; 1: 2
United States Department of Agriculture. USDA nutrition assistance programs.https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/usda-nutrition-assistance-programs. Accessed June 5, 2020.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. An Introduction to the Basic Concepts of Food Security. FAO; 2008. https://www.fao.org/3/al936e/al936e.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- Consumer knowledge about food labeling and fraud.Foods. 2021; 10: 1095
- Food health claims – what consumers understand.Food Policy. 2012; 37: 571-580
- Knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding dietary supplements in Saudi Arabia.J Family Med Prim Care. 2019; 8: 365-372
- Can claims, misleading information, and manufacturing issues regarding dietary supplements be improved in the United States?.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005; 314: 939-944
- Global food security post COVID-19: dearth or dwell in the developing world?.Agron J. 2022; 114: 878-884
Ritchie H, Roser M, Environmental impacts of food production. Our World in Data. 2020.https://ourworldindata.org/environmental-impacts-of-food. Accessed March 7, 2022.
Thorndike AN, Gardner CD, Kendrick KB, et al. American Heart Association Advocacy Coordinating Committee. Strengthening US Food Policies and Programs to Promote Equity in Nutrition Security: A Policy Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2022;145:e1077-e1093.https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000001072.
Hamm MW, Bellows AC. Community food security: background and future directions. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003;35:37-43.
- Management accounting for healthy nutrition education: meta-analysis.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 3715
- Addressing food insecurity through a health equity lens: a case study of large urban school districts during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Urban Health. 2020; 97: 759-775
Interagency Committee on Human Nutrition Research. National Nutrition Research Road Map 2016–2021: Advancing Nutrition Research to Improve and Sustain Health. Interagency Committee on Human Nutrition Research; 2016.
- Nutrition education research.World Rev Nutr Diet. 1973; 17: 91-149
- The effectiveness of nutrition education and implications for nutrition education policy, programs, and research: a review of research.J Nutr Educ. 1995; 27: 277-418
- The relationship between community nutritionists’ use of policy, systems and environmental strategies to prevent obesity and its determinants depends on networking.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 20: 2225-2235
- Nutrition advocacy and national development: the PROFILES programme and its application.Bull World Health Organ. 1999; 77: 407-415
United States Department of Agriculture. FY 2022 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) Plan Guidance: Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program. USDA; 2020.https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FY%202022%20SNAP-Ed%20Plan%20Guidance.pdf. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- Policy, systems, and environmental change strategies in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed).J Nutr Educ Behav. 2022; 54: 320-326
- System, environmental, and policy changes: using the social-ecological model as a framework for evaluating nutrition education and social marketing programs with low-income audiences.J Nutr Educ. 2001; 33: S4-S15
- Sustainable, resilient food systems for healthy diets: the transformation agenda.Public Health Nutr. 2019; 22: 2916-2920
- When food systems meet sustainability–current narratives and implications for actions.World Dev. 2019; 113: 116-130
- Organic market summary and trends.2021https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/natural-resources-environment/organic-agriculture/organic-market-summary-and-trends(Accessed March 7, 2022)
- Impact of ‘green’ product Label standards on consumer behaviour: a systematic review analysis.Int J Acad Res Bus Soc. 2018; 8: 666-684
- Is the degree of food processing and convenience linked with the nutritional quality of foods purchased by US households?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; 101: 1251-1262
- Recommendations for integrating evidence-based, sustainable diet information into nutrition education.Nutrients. 2021; 13: 4170
- The sources of chemical contaminants in food and their health implications.Front Pharmacol. 2017; 8: 830
- Towards a sustainable diet combining economic, environmental and nutritional objectives.Appetite. 2016; 106: 48-57
- Agricultural insecticides threaten surface waters at the global scale.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2015; 112: 5750-5755
- Position of the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior: the importance of including environmental sustainability in dietary guidance.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019; 51 (3–15.e1)
- Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches.Annu Rev Public Health. 2008; 29: 253-272
- “Is there nothing more practical than a good theory?”: why innovations and advances in health behavior change will arise if interventions are used to test and refine theory.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2004; 1: 11
- Are dietary interventions with a behaviour change theoretical framework effective in changing dietary patterns? A systematic review.BMC Public Health. 2020; 20: 1857
- Efficacy of theory-based interventions to promote physical activity. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Health Psychol Rev. 2016; 10: 50-66
- Theory, evidence and intervention mapping to improve behavior nutrition and physical activity interventions.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2005; 2: 2
- Systematic review of reviews of intervention components associated with increased effectiveness in dietary and physical activity interventions.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 119
- Predicting and Changing Health Behavior: Research and Practice with Social Cognition Models.3rd ed. Open University Press, 2015
- Theory-based interventions for long-term adherence to improvements in diet quality: an in-depth review.Am J Lifestyle Med. 2016; 10: 369-376
- Intervention mapping: theory- and evidence-based health promotion program planning: perspective and examples.Front Public Health. 2019; 7: 209
- The role of social cognitive theory in farm-to-school-related activities: implications for child nutrition.J Sch Health. 2013; 83: 589-595
- Instructional-Design Theories and Models: A New Paradigm of Instructional Theory.Routledge, 2009
- Instructional design strategies for health behavior change.Patient Educ Couns. 2005; 56: 3-15
- Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective.8th ed. Pearson, 2019
- The Three Dimensions of Learning: Contemporary Theory in the Tension Field Between the Cognitive, Emotional and Social.Roskilde University Press, 2002
- Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development.Pearson Education, 2015
- Social media and nutrition education: the Food Hero experience.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2014; 46: 128-133
- HomeStyles-2: randomized controlled trial protocol for a web-based obesity prevention program for families with children in middle childhood.Contemp Clin Trials. 2022; 112106644
- Planning Health Promotion Programs: An Intervention Mapping Approach.4th ed. John Wiley & Sons, 2016
- The behaviour change wheel: a new method for characterising and designing behvaiour change interventions.Implementation Sci. 2011; 6: 42
- Steps in the design, development and formative evaluation of obesity prevention-related behavior change trials.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2009; 6: 6
- A refined taxonomy of behaviour change techniques to help people change their physical activity and healthy eating behaviours: the CALO-RE taxonomy.Psychol Health. 2011; 26: 1479-1498
- A taxonomy of behaviour change methods: an Intervention Mapping approach.Health Psychol Rev. 2016; 10: 297-312
- #eatingoodtonight Educational campaign over social media.Nutr Today. 2018; 53: 288292
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of an interdisciplinary theory- and evidence-based intervention to prevent childhood obesity: theoretical and methodological lessons learned.Front Public Health. 2017; 5: 352
- Á; Cocinar Para Su Salud! Development of a culturally based nutrition education curriculum for Hispanic breast cancer survivors using a theory-driven procedural model.Health Educ Behav. 2017; 44: 13-22
- Á Cocinar para Su Salud!: randomized controlled trial of a culturally based dietary intervention among Hispanic breast cancer survivors.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015; 115: e43
- Applying the nutrition education DESIGN procedure to the development of the In Defence of Food Curriculum.Health Educ J. 2019; 78: 824-838
- The Elaboration Likelihood Model of persuasion: developing health promotions for sustained behavioral change.(RA; Kegler, eds., MC, ed.)in: DiClemente RC Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research. Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2009: 185-214
- Essentials of Human Communication.9th ed. Pearson, 2017
- Cooperative learning: developments in research.Int J Educ. 2014; 3: 125-140
- Powerful Techniques for Teaching Adults.John Wiley & Sons, 2013
- The Adult Learner.9th ed. Routlouge, 2020
United States Department of Agriculture. National Institute of Food and Agriculture; 2022 Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.https://nifa.usda.gov/program/expanded-food-and-nutrition-education-program-efnep. Accessed March 7, 2022.
United States Department of Agriculture; Food and Nutrition Service. FY 2022 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) Plan Guidance: Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program. USDA; 2022.https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FY%202022%20SNAP-Ed%20Plan%20Guidance.pdf.
United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service. WIC Nutrition Education Guidance. https://wicworks.fns.usda.gov/resources/wic-nutrition-education-guidance. Accessed March 7, 2022.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Education for Effective Nutrition in Action (ENACT): professional development in nutrition education. http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/professional-training/enact/en/. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- How to make nutrition education more meaningful through facilitated group discussions.J Am Diet Assoc. 1999; 99: 72-76
- Creating learning environments conducive to change: the role of fear/safety in the adult learning process.Innov High Educ. 1984; 9: 19-29
- Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating Adults.John Wiley & Sons, 2002
McKee N, Manoncourt E, Yoon CS, Carnegie R. Involving People–Evolving Behavior. Southbound/Unicef; 2000.
- Recognizing and responding to cultural differences in the education of culturally and linguistically diverse learners.Interv Sch Clin. 2005; 40: 195-211
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Prevention Information Network. Cultural competence in health and human services; 2021. https://npin.cdc.gov/pages/cultural-competence. Accessed March 7, 2022.
- Nutrition interventions addressing structural racism: a scoping review.Nutr Res Rev. 2022; : 1-53
- Practice-based evidence of effectiveness in an integrated nutrition and parenting education intervention for low-income parents.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014; 114: 945-950
- Nutrition Education: Principles of Sound Impact Evaluation.(USDA)2005Accessed March 7, 2022)
- Process evaluations of the 5-a-day projects.Health Educ Behav. 2000; 27: 157-166
- A six-step protocol to systematic process evaluation of multicomponent cluster-randomised health promoting interventions illustrated by the Boost study.Eval Program Plann. 2014; 46: 58-71
- Using a systematic conceptual model for a process evaluation of a middle school obesity risk-reduction nutrition curriculum intervention: choice, control & change.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013; 45: 126-136
- Speaking of Health: Assessing Health Communication Strategies For Diverse Populations. The National Academies Press; 2002.2002https://www.nap.edu/catalog/10018/speaking-of-health-assessing-health-communication-strategies-for-diverse-populations(Accessed May 7, 2022)
- Beyond the melting pot and salad bowl views of cultural diversity: advancing cultural diversity education of nutrition educators.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48 (e1): 664-668
- Social media interventions for diet and exercise behaviours: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e003926
- Development of an online smartphone-based elearning nutrition education program for low-income individuals.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018; 50 (.e1): 90-95
- Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice.4th ed. Peachpit Press-Pearson, 2015
- A conceptual model for communicating nutrition.J Nutr Educ. 1984; 16: 168-172
- The contributions of health communication to eliminating health disparities.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 2053-2055
- Successfully changing the landscape of information distribution: extension food website reaches people locally and globally.J Hum Sci Extension. 2016; 4: 78-88
- The effectiveness of e-& mHealth interventions to promote physical activity and healthy diets in developing countries: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 109
- Extended reality technologies in nutrition education and behavior: comprehensive scoping review and future directions.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 2899
- Not lost in translation: nutrition education, a critical component of translational research.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 164-170
- Research and the dietetics profession: making a bigger impact.J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 108-112
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.