Phenomenon of Interest
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity among adults: United States; 2017–2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; (No. 360. National Center for Health Statistics)
- Body image, weight, and food choices of Latina women and their young children.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2003; 35: 236-248
- Epidemic increase in childhood overweight, 1986–1998.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2845-2848
- Culture, ideology, and antifat attitudes.Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 1996; 22: 1165-1176
- Understanding and representing ‘place’ in health research: a relational approach.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1825-1838
- Food deserts: governing obesity in the neoliberal city.Prog Hum Geogr. 2014; 38: 248-266
- Nutrition Education: Strategies for Improving Nutrition and Healthy Eating in Individuals and Communities.Karger, 2020
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. State and local programs. https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/index.html. Accessed January 21, 2022.
Regional Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Centers of Excellence. Policy, Systems and Environmental Change Center: 2015-2018 Executive Summary. RNECE; 2018. https://nifa.usda.gov/sites/default/files/resource/PSE-RNECE-Executive-Summary-2-28-2019.pdf. Accessed June 4, 2022.
- The High Obesity Program: overview of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Cooperative Extension Services efforts to address obesity.Prev Chronic Dis. 2020; 17: E25
U.S. Department of Agriculture SNAP-Ed Connection. SNAP-Ed plan guidance and templates. https://snaped.fns.usda.gov/program-administration/snap-ed-plan-guidance-and-templates. Accessed February 20, 2022.
- Fifty communities putting prevention to work: accelerating chronic disease prevention through policy, systems and environmental change.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 1081-1090
- Obesity and obesity-related behaviors among rural and urban adults in the USA.Rural Remote Health. 2015; 15: 3267
- Back in the day: nostalgia frames rural residents’ perspectives on diet and physical activity.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020; 52: 126-133
- Extending work on rural health disparities: a commentary on Matthews and colleagues’ report.J Rural Health. 2018; 34: 119-121
- Home is where the heart is: the effect of place of residence on place attachment and community participation.J Environ Psychol. 2014; 40: 451-461
- Call for evaluation and reporting of the equity impact of culturally responsive nutrition interventions.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2022; 54: 97-98
- Perceptions of the environment for eating and exercise in a rural community.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2010; 42: 185-191
- Soul Food: [Re]framing the African-American farming crisis using the culture-centered approach.Front Commun. 2019; 5: 5
- Motivation and justification: a dual-process model of culture in action.AJS. 2009; 114: 1675-1715
- Beyond the melting pot and salad bowl views of cultural diversity: advancing cultural diversity education of nutrition educators.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2016; 48: 664-668.e1
- Food and Culture.7th ed. Cengage Learning, 2016
- Community-based participatory research contributions to intervention research: the intersection of science and practice to improve health equity.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100 (Suppl 1): S40-S46
- We are the ones we've been waiting for’: community development, collective identity and agency in the age of Obama.Community Dev J. 2011; 46: i117-i131
- Concepts of healthful food among low-income African American women.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012; 44: 154-159
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. View grant opportunity. https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=303770. Accessed June 4, 2022.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. High Obesity Program (HOP). https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpao/state-local-programs/hop-1809/high-obesity-program-1809.html. Accessed June 4, 2022.
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. United States of America - Georgia. October, 2020. https://www.healthdata.org/united-states-georgia. Accessed December 20, 2022.
United States Census Bureau. QuickFacts. July, 2021. https://www.census.gov/. Accessed December 20, 2022.
- Advancing coalition theory: the effect of coalition factors on community capacity mediated by member engagement.Health Educ Res. 2012; 27: 572-584
- Reframing Evaluation Through Appreciative Inquiry.SAGE Publications, 2006
- Modes of Thinking for Qualitative Data Analysis.Routledge, 2017
- Introduction: the discipline and practice of qualitative research.In: The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research. 4th ed. SAGE, 2011: 1-19
- Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among the Five Approaches.3rd ed. SAGE, 2013
- Qualitative Research: A Guide to Design and Implementation.4th ed. Jossey-Bass, 2016
- Grounded theory and theoretical coding.in: Flick U The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Data Analysis. SAGE Publications Ltd, 2014: 153-169
- Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory.4th ed. SAGE Publications Inc, 2014
- Developing and using a codebook for the analysis of interview data: an example from a professional development research project.Field Methods. 2011; 23: 136-155
- Coding qualitative data: a synthesis guiding the novice.Qual Res J. 2019; 19: 259-270
- Interrater reliability: the kappa statistic.Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2012; 22: 276-282
- Are we there yet? Data saturation in qualitative research.Qual Rep. 2015; 20: 1408-1416
- Naturalistic Inquiry.Sage Publications, 1985
- Thematic analysis: striving to meet the trustworthiness criteria.Int J Qual Methods. 2017; 16: 1-13
- Sermons to address obesity in partnership with African American and Latino churches.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2021; 53: 811-815
- How faith-based organizations perceive their role in community development: an exploratory study.Community Dev. 2021; 52: 61-76
- The discursive construction of community identity.J Community Appl Soc Psychol. 2005; 15: 48-62
- From ‘problem-describing’ to ‘problem-solving’: challenging the ‘deficit’ view of remote and rural health.Aust J Rural Health. 2010; 18: 205-209
- Latino parents’ perceptions of physical activity and healthy eating: at the intersection of culture, family, and health.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2018; 50: 968-976
- An examination of ethnic identity as a mediator of the effects of community participation and neighborhood sense of community on psychological empowerment among urban youth of color.J Community Psychol. 2018; 46: 551-566
- The role of intermediary organizations in sustaining student voice initiatives.Teachers College Record. 2009; 111: 1834-1870
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 31: 143-164
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.