Main Outcome Measures
Conclusions and Implications
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
SNEB Member LoginSNEB Members, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Login via the SNEB Website to access all journal content and features.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Sweet Charity?: Emergency Food and the End of Entitlement.Penguin Group, 1999
Feeding America. Feeding America Annual Report 2020. Feeding America; 2020. https://www.feedingamerica.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/FA_2020AnnReport_FINAL_updated0309_v2.pdf. Accessed October 26, 2021.
- Statistical Supplement to Household Food Security in the United States in 2020.US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2021
- Severity of household food insecurity is positively associated with mental disorders among children and adolescents in the United States.J Nutr. 2016; 146: 2019-2026
- Food insecurity and dietary quality in US adults and children: a systematic review.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 100: 684-692
- The other half: an examination of monthly food pantry cycles in the context of SNAP benefits.Appl Econ Perspect Policy. 2021; 43: 716-731
- The role of food banks in addressing food insecurity: a systematic review.J Community Health. 2016; 41: 732-740
- The Emergency Food Assistance System-Findings From the Provider Survey, Volume II [Final Report].US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 2002
- Hunger in America 2014: National Report.Feeding America, 2014
- Food pantry assistance and the great recession.J Hunger Environ Nutr. 2019; 14: 225-239
- The influence of the COVID-19 pandemic on the food supply in the emergency food system: a case study at 2 food pantries.Curr Dev Nutr. 2021; 5: nzab115
Feeding America. Find your local food bank.https://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank. Accessed October 26, 2021.
Foodpantries.org. Find food pantries.https://www.foodpantries.org/. Accessed October 26, 2021.
US Census Bureau. American Community Survey 2015–2019: 5-year public use data release.https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-kits/2020/acs-5-year.html. Accessed December 15, 2021.
- The estimation of the Lorenz curve and Gini index.Rev Econ Stat. 1972; 54: 306-316
US Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service. Rural-Urban continuum codes.https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes.aspx. Accessed October 26, 2021.
- Negative Binomial Rregression.2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, 2011
- The economics of welfare participation and welfare stigma: a review.Public Financ Manag. 2002; 2: 294-334
- Food Stamp Program Access Study: Eligible Nonparticipants.US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, 2004
- The deserving poor, the family, and the U.S. welfare system.Demography. 2015; 52: 729-749
- Deconstructing welfare: the Reagan legacy and the welfare state.Soc Work. 1993; 38: 619-628
- Hunger or deportation: implications of the Trump administration's proposed public charge rule.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2019; 51: 505-509
- An overburdened charitable food system: making the case for increased government support during the COVID-19 crisis.Am J Public Health. 2021; 111: 804-807
US Department of Agriculture. American rescue plan.https://www.usda.gov/arp. Accessed February 12, 2022.
- A survey of food bank operations in five Canadian cities.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 1234
- Who gives? A literature review of predictors of charitable giving. Part two: gender, family composition and income.Volunt Sect Rev. 2012; 3: 217-245
- Predictors of time volunteering, religious giving, and secular giving: implications for nonprofit organizations.J Sociol Soc Welf. 2012; 39: 93-120
- Use of food pantries and food stamps in low-income households in the United States.J Consum Aff. 2005; 39: 276-298
- The short- and long-term effects of life events on residential mobility.Adv Life Course Res. 2016; 27: 1-15
- Atlanta Regional Commission. The relationship between length of community tenure and residents’ volunteering at community events: results from the Metro Atlanta Speaks Survey.J Rural Soc Sci. 2019; 34: 3
- Making Volunteer Work Visible: Supplementary Measures of Work in Labor Force Statistics.US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2020
- Changes in U.S. Family finances from 2016 to 2019: evidence from the survey of consumer finances.Fed Reserve Bull. 2020; 106: 1-42
- Rural social service disparities and creative social work solutions for rural families across the life span.J Fam Soc Work. 2013; 16: 101-115
- Regulating surplus: charity and the legal geographies of food waste enclosure.Agric Human Values. 2021; 38: 351-363
- Do homeowners achieve more household wealth in the long run?.J Hous Econ. 2007; 16: 274-290
US Census Bureau. Geographic mobility: 2019 to 2020.https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2020/demo/geographic-mobility/cps-2020.html. Accessed October 3, 2021.
- Social capital, social currency, and portable assets: the impact of residential mobility on exchanges of social support.Pers Relat. 2003; 10: 149-170
- Characteristics of low-income able-bodied adults without dependents: implications for public policy.J Policy Pract. 2016; 16: 99-111
- Food insecurity is an ongoing national concern.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 36-41
Conflict of Interest Disclosure: The authors have not stated any conflicts of interest.